Pre-registered for 2020

Aurora cruises in 2020

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Pre-registered for 2020

Post by CaroleF »

Well, after a lot of discussion we have pre-registered for the Norway and Iceland cruise in July 2020. It's a cruise some friends of ours did, although not with P&O, and thoroughly enjoyed and sent us updates along the way which did look interesting. So we got a good deal, 10% discount for past cruisers, 5% discount because it's a Peninsular Club cruise and then Bolsover are offering extra discount - they call it Double Cash Back - which means double the amount of discount they usually give. So we wait for a call on 17th September. Previously they've taken credit card details and put it through but now with the new data processing thing they're not allowed to do this. We've given them a list of cabins so hopefully we'll get what we want. Seems an incredibly long way off but it's nice to have something to look forward to, mind you we've got two to enjoy before then.

Carole

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Pre-registered for 2020

Post by Whynd1 »

Well I have also pre registered for 2020, after all I said about not doing P and O any more. Its on Arcadia, my favourite ship in October to the Northern Lights. I am going with friends and we are all looking forward to this cruise. Yes the 10% helped and only a 5% deposit as who knows what can happen between now and then.

Also thinking about a 19 night also on Arcadia in April 2020 to the med.

Lindsey

AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

We have also pre registered for the Iceland and Norway cruise in July 2020. Hopefully, we'll get our choice of cabin too!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Well, having said a few days ago that 2020 was too far away for me to think about, we have also pre-registered for an Aurora cruise in June. We looked through the PO booklet and nothing appealed until we got to the Arcadia and Aurora list and found about 4 worth considering. The things that appealed were the 10% discount and the 5% deposit. We are cheapskates and only go for the PF grade inside cabins. If we can't get any of the 5 we have asked the TA to try for then she will refund the £135 but if we do get a cabin booked and then the insurance renewal is extortionate we will just lose the £135 deposit. We felt it was worth the risk as we think Aurora and Arcadia are going to be the two most popular ships to book for a lot of seniors and they do have some good ports. If we could have been bothered with the hassle of flying then Oceana would have also been considered as there are some interesting ports on her.

Roll on 17th September - Que sera, sera.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

This is the first time in years I haven't either pre-registered or have arranged for Cruise Kings to book on the opening day.

We intend having a cruise break for 2020, but intend to recommence cruising in 2021, hopefully something special as it will be our 40th wedding anniversary and my husband's 70th birthday.

Hopefully, by that time Iona will be doing 14 day cruises in the Med. As much as I like Norway, I'm not sure I want another 7 days cruise there, but I am keen to try Iona at some point. I think she might be 'too big', but I would like to find out for myself.

If I was booking for summer 2020, I'd be going on either Arcadia or Aurora, as they are the only ones with itineraries I fancy. Although Azura has some Baltic cruises, and we haven't been to the Baltic since 2007.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have got the 35 nighter booked on Ventura in Feb 2020, then we plan on a nice beach holiday, probably in Greece, later in the year, maybe early September. We have rediscovered beach holidays and love them. We’ll also be going to KL to visit our son, so that’ll be about it.

We already have two more hols booked for this year, and a 40 night cruise, plus a villa booked for next. Plus KL. The coffers will be empty very soon!
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

After a bit of a chat, we've decided to give 2020 a cruising break and will not be booking anything early for the first time in years.
We've still got one to come this year and have one in May 2019.
In 2020, we are going to explore the UK quite a bit more, with short breaks.
There are so many places we haven't seen yet and have decide to spend our hard earned in our own country.

However ……………………. if I see something that's an absolute bargain and too good to miss ……………. never say never !
Empty vessels .. and all that

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

We are having a Cruise break in 2020 as well well enough is enough.

We are having June July and August. Off.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

All sorted forJ013.

My travel agent did say the phone lines to P and O were quiet this morning, a lot of loyalty members had pre registered for Iona.

Lindsey

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Had a call from Bolsover at 9.20 from my TA who had managed to secure our first choice of cabin for the Norway and Iceland cruise in 2020. She said she'd been working since 7.30 and they were extremely busy. It's the same cabin we had for the 65 night cruise on Aurora at the beginning of this year. Just hope we get a different steward. He was the worst one we've ever had, not because he didn't do his job, he did, well mostly but he was such a miserable so and so, never smiled, never seemed happy about anything, no polite enquiries like we usually have - Did you enjoy your trip etc. Hopefully he will have moved on by 2020. Amazingly the steward in the next batch of cabins from ours was even more miserable if that were possible. When you said Good Morning to him when passing him in the corridor it was as much as he could do to respond, let alone smile. Only time we've had a steward who was less than really good. There was a young girl who seemed to be responsible for restocking all the linen cupboards who was working all hours, always smiling, always gave a greeting when we saw her. I said to her once that she seemed to be working morning, noon and night and she smiled and said, Yes always busy!

Carole

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Slightly off topic Carole, but we have found very similar over the years.

I think we've only had one excellent steward and that was a young lady on Oceana who's name was Merlyn.
She was brilliant and service with a smile.
Many mediocre ones and a couple of useless ones.

Funnily enough, the friendliest Cabin steward we've ever had was on a longish Arcadia cruise, but she was also pretty useless when it came to cleaning.
She did the bare minimum and was always on her phone in the little cubby hole.
But she was delightful to talk to and we forgave her everything. :lol:

I can't remember the names of most, so that says a lot.
The most engaging some are is when they are trying to blag an excellent marking for their bonus.

I don't want to become best friends but do expect a degree of civility and friendliness. after all, it is a customer service role.

I'm finding the same from many of the waiters in Freedom Dining, as the years tick on.
We always try to engage with them but some just plonk the food down with little contact.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Phone call from travel agent at 8.15 this morning to say all booked for June 2020 on Aurora in our first choice of cabin. Can't believe we have booked this far ahead - must be bonkers :crazy:

Maureen

AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Also got first choice of cabin on Aurora to Iceland/Norway 2020! It is a long way off, but still excited. :-)

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Are we all going on Aurora. :D

We have booed 3 April/May and October.

Happy Days.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well for me it's either Arcadia or Aurora.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 17:53
Once Oriana goes it will most likely be Aurora and Arcadia for us for most of our cruising. I know you should try new things and not stick to the same old things but Iona does not appeal to us at all.

It will be interesting to read all the reviews, good and bad, after the maiden voyage.

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Whole heartedly agree with you Maureen.
Oriana next June for the Around Britain cruise, then Arcadia in September for the Baltic.
Firstly Aurora next month.

Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 17:53
Looks like there's going to be queues!!! Have tried Azura and Ventura. Not impressed. Like living underground. We loved QM2 which was very stylish, light and airy so it's not a big ship thing.
P&O seem to be targeting the younger generation and families. That's fine by me. I'll stick with the old fuddy-duddies!!! Nothing beats the smell of embrocation and the click of plastic hips!!! :lol:
We got a good price on Aurora for the Med so we're happy with that.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:22
I'll stick with the old fuddy-duddies!!! Nothing beats the smell of embrocation and the click of plastic hips!!!
That's just what we were thinking - what with his knees and sometimes his back playing up, he can knock anyone out with the smell of Deep Heat.

Maureen.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Kenmo1 wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:35
oldbluefox wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:22
I'll stick with the old fuddy-duddies!!! Nothing beats the smell of embrocation and the click of plastic hips!!!
That's just what we were thinking - what with his knees and sometimes his back playing up, he can knock anyone out with the smell of Deep Heat.

Maureen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

And for us - Aurora, Oceana and if I can talk John into it Arcadia. He didn't like Arcadia when we went on her in 2008 but that was a long time ago so I'm trying to persuade him that she has had at least two refits since then. We have been on Azura several times but only really because she was in the Caribbean and that's where we wanted to go, neither of us particularly love her. We've been on Ventura once and I know she's the same as Azura but of the two we much preferred Azura.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

CaroleF wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 10:11
He didn't like Arcadia when we went on her in 2008
I didn't like Arcadia at first but then she really grew on me. We then had a break from her but went on her again in July and I thoroughly enjoyed being on her again. So perhaps John needs to give it another go.

Maureen

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We’ve just booked for October 2020 on Arcadia! Got our first choice of cabin as well although it does seem so far away - got our World cruise before that to look forward to😀😀

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Kenmo1 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 10:38
CaroleF wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 10:11
He didn't like Arcadia when we went on her in 2008
I didn't like Arcadia at first but then she really grew on me. We then had a break from her but went on her again in July and I thoroughly enjoyed being on her again. So perhaps John needs to give it another go.

Maureen
It's interesting that you should say that. The first time we went on Arcadia we didn't like her. As one chap put it "It's like being on a floating old folks' home!!!". However we have been on her a couple more times since then and really do like her, more so than Oceana which is showing her age and has lost much of her appeal especially since they have done away with Le Jardin etc. Perhaps I have just cruised too much and am getting picky now but my vote goes to Arcadia and Aurora.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 12:13
As one chap put it "It's like being on a floating old folks' home!!!".
OBF - that's just how we felt the first time. The trouble is we now fit in nicely with that age-group :shock: :shock:

Maureen

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2020”