R821 Greece and Malta

Aurora cruises in 2018

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

R821 Greece and Malta

Post by Whynd1 »

Holiday information brochure arrived this morning for this cruise at the end of October.

Wasn't sure if ipi would r wife one as I didn't receive the latest moments magazine but pleased this has arrived.

We have a lot going on before i go on this cruise so will be very busy in the run up.

Lindsey

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: R821 Greece and Malta

Post by Kendhni »

As a kid (about 6 or 7) I remember a relative brought me back a pendant from a place called Malta - I had no idea where it was but the pictures on the pendant made it look really exotic. I have always wanted to visit it, but just never got round to it.

We have booked one of the Oceana cruises next year that fly to Malta and do the Greek islands - it looks like a brilliant itinerary.

PS: we are heading to Kalithea (Rhodes) in about 3 hours time. :)
PPS: I see the price of the cruise we have booked has gone up since the 'tips are included' announcement.
Last edited by Kendhni on 29 Aug 2018, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Kendhni wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 06:50
As a kid (about 6 or 7) I remember a relative brought me back a pendant from a place called Malta - I had no idea where it was but the pictures on the pendant made it look really exotic. I have always wanted to visit it, but just never got round to it.

We have booked one of the Oceana cruises next year that fly to Malta and do the Greek islands - it looks like a brilliant itinerary.

PS: we are heading to Kalithea (Rhodes) in about 3 hours time. :)
PPS: I see the price of the cruise we have booked has gone up since the 'tips are included' announcement.
As a child probably about the same age as you Ken places like Malta, Corfu, Tenerife etc sounded so exotic to me and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would ever visit any of these places, fast forward about 15 years and I considered myself extremely fortunate to visit these places, a few more years ahead we went further afield to the USA and Caribbean again to places I had only ever dreamed of, I can happily say I have been to the other side of the world ( Australia ) and enjoyed every minute of our travels, there are still many places in the world I wish we had visited when we could and are now not an option but thanks to cruising we have discovered so much of the world.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:34
there are still many places in the world I wish we had visited when we could and are now not an option but thanks to cruising we have discovered so much of the world.
I know exactly what you mean, Jo - so true. Anyway, nice to see you back on here. :wave: :wave:

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well started packing for the cruise on Sunday.
After the last few weeks of trauma with son's car being stolen and husband having his arm and hand operated on it will be nice to be waited on and enjoy the cruise.
Hoping for a smooth crossing after the stormy weather we had in March to the Canaries.

It's turned a lot colder here today so it seems a bit odd packing summer clothes.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 16:19
After the last few weeks of trauma with son's car being stolen and husband having his arm and hand operated on it will be nice to be waited on and enjoy the cruise.
Hoping for a smooth crossing after the stormy weather we had in March to the Canaries.

It's turned a lot colder here today so it seems a bit odd packing summer clothes.

Lindsey
Have a lovely time, Lindsey. My sister and brother-in-law are also on this cruise.

Maureen

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Have a wonderful time Lindsey I'm sure you will enjoy Malta and of course everywhere in Greece is wonderful.
Bon Voyage.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:44
Whynd1 wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 16:19

Lindsey
Have a lovely time, Lindsey. My sister and brother-in-law are also on this cruise.

Maureen
My sister-in-law and her friend are also on it. Have a great time x
Gill

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Back from a lovely cruise on Aurora.
Captain Turnbull and his crew kept us informed of all that ws going on through the cruise. Our waiters and cabin steward couldn't do enough for us, a complete contrast to the Oriana in March.The weather was good, sunny most days apart from Cadiz where it rained heavily, we were on a tour to Jerez and got soaked. We were forced to do a guided tour of a sherry bodega to keep out of the rain !! and the morning we were in Corfu it rained but then about lunchtime the sun came out and it was quite warm.
Very good excursions in Greece my only quibble was the 48 of us in our tour group of Crete and you couldn't get in to take photos easily. Excellent lunch on that tour.
The Captain has requested a transfer to a family friendly ship once the aurora moves to adult only and also the first officer, so that their families can come on and join them.

Overall one of the best cruises I have done in a while. I marked it 9 out of 10 and I'm not that easily impressed.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks for the update, Lindsey. Your remarks are much the same as my sister said. They were disappointed with one excursion due to the large number in the group which visited Knossos. Was that the one you were disappointed with? They got back to the ship after a long walk in Cadiz just before the heavens opened but got soaked in Corfu as they joined one of the trips. They like Neil Turnbull as Captain but they think he needs some new jokes as he makes the same speech every time they are on Aurora.

They have booked 2 more cruises on there using the latest £50 per cabin deposit which is currently on offer.

Glad you had a good holiday. How long till the next one?

Maureen

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Glad you had a good time, Lindsey
Gill

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Not until next June, Maureen. We had booked the Oriana around Britain before it was announced that she was leaving the fleet.
Our tour was the best of Crete an all day excursion but we visited Knossos first.
It was an excellent your with an amazing lunch at Elongua, but there were too many in the group to hear what the guide said and she went on and on.
We have also heard the Captain's jokes before.
Books a cruise for 2020 back on Aurora within the £50 deposit, 2019 cruises only £25 deposit.
Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 20:42
Our tour was the best of Crete an all day excursion but we visited Knossos first.
It was an excellent your with an amazing lunch at Elongua, but there were too many in the group to hear what the guide said and she went on and on.
Yes, Lindsey, that's sounds like the one she was talking about and I remember her saying about the place that gives you a view over the leper colony island so I think you must have been on the same trip. She said the same as you about the guide.

Maureen

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Did your sister mention the heavy customs presence at Southampton. I know when you call at Gibraltar customs are sometimes there, but I have never seen so many officers and they had two sniffer dogs. When I got off just after 8 am they were stopping every trolley and the dogs were on the bags sniffing for tobacco. My porter mumbled I hope you don't have anything you not supposed to, which I didn't. They pulled over the lady in front of me. The general assumption was that the ships security had seen something in Gibraltar and tipped them off.
This caused a lot of delay and general chaos in the baggage hall.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 08:27
Did your sister mention the heavy customs presence at Southampton.
Yes, she did and they were there when they self disembarked and were one of the first off so fairly early. I said exactly the same that obviously they had received a tip-off from security on the ship. I believe that also happened with a cruise on Arcadia last year from the Caribbean and they picked someone up with cocaine they had collected in Castries with a street value of £200,000. The passenger was sentenced to 9 years in prison so he won't be cruising for a while.

Perhaps you lot looked like a shady bunch or someone had well and truly overdone the allowance for cigarettes or drinks.

Maureen
Last edited by Kenmo1 on 17 Nov 2018, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 09:55
I believe that also happened with a cruise on Arcadia last year from the Caribbean and they picked someone up with cocaine they had collected in Castries with a street value of £200,000. The passenger was sentenced to 9 years in prison so he won't be cruising for a while.
Just spotted on the Arcadia facebook page that 3 Dutch people were taken off Arcadia in La Coruna on the 15th of this month accused of smuggling 17 kilos of cocaine. The smugglers seem to like Arcadia.

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2018”