Drinks package ventura.

Discussions about anything related to Ventura

Topic author
Hoganofon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Drinks package ventura.

Post by Hoganofon »

Hi, with only 6 weeks or so till we go on Ventura i just wondered about the drinks package. The £40 a day each is way too much for us both content wise. We only have a drink occasionally, and couldn't ever imagine drinking to justify £80 a day, so what other suggestions do you all have. We thought we'd do pay as you go as it's probably going to suit us better. The other suggestion is captains choice 6 bottles. What are your thoughts and how do everyone do this? Thanks. We've ordered a welcome on board bottle of fizz anyway as it is my 60th a week or so before sail day 😂
Thanks Eirian

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drinks package ventura.

Post by david63 »

If you believe that £40pppd is not good value then your only other option is PAYG.

As for the wine packages it comes down to personal taste. Whilst there is a saving over buying the bottles individually then unless ALL the wines in the package are ones that you like you will end up buying/drinking some wines just for the sake of it.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Pay as you go and enjoy yourself. I like a drop of wine but Mrs B drinks little so our daily spend is nowhere near 80 quid a day. The drinks package is pitched at the hardcore or wealthy.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

£40 a day sounds allot but when you think about it, it soon mounts up. A drink or two lunchtime, a drink or two before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner and maybe a snifter or three during the rest of the evening and there you go.

Like barney, we still prefer to payg.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I could comfortably get through 40 quid a day Stephen but not 80 as a couple. To be fair I'd give it a blooming good go. :)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

david63 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 11:44
If you believe that £40pppd is not good value then your only other option is PAYG.

As for the wine packages it comes down to personal taste. Whilst there is a saving over buying the bottles individually then unless ALL the wines in the package are ones that you like you will end up buying/drinking some wines just for the sake of it.
If this is the same as the Cunard wine package you can choose whichever wine you prefer within the package you do not have to have one of the 6 advertised over the specified nights.
Jo

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:06
I could comfortably get through 40 quid a day Stephen but not 80 as a couple. To be fair I'd give it a blooming good go. :)

:thumbup: Give the old liver something to think about wouldn't it :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:34
If this is the same as the Cunard wine package you can choose whichever wine you prefer within the package you do not have to have one of the 6 advertised over the specified nights.
Unless P&O have changed very recently you have to have one of each bottle in the package.
Stephen wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:02
£40 a day sounds allot but when you think about it, it soon mounts up. A drink or two lunchtime, a drink or two before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner and maybe a snifter or three during the rest of the evening and there you go.
That, in theory, sounds OK but remember that it is £40pppd and all in the cabin must sign up for the package, and when you take the "exclusions" out, such as bottles of wine, then it is not as attractive.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

The last time we had a wine package you didn't have to have one of each bottle in the package. If you wanted 6 or 12 the same you could. We certainly had at least three bottles of white the same. Maybe it's changed but that's certainly the way it was two years ago.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I had a wine package on Aurora last October. You could have which ever wine you liked from the choice. If you wished you could have the same wine every time if you wished. You get a booklet of tokens and you just hand one to the wine waiter when you have made your choice
Works well for me, although I do regret they took the Billi Billi Shiraz off the list.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Whynd1 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 20:44
I had a wine package on Aurora last October. You could have which ever wine you liked from the choice. If you wished you could have the same wine every time if you wished. You get a booklet of tokens and you just hand one to the wine waiter when you have made your choice
Works well for me, although I do regret they took the Billi Billi Shiraz off the list.

That's a shame, I liked that.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Our total OBC bill for the two of us for everything is well under the £80 a day. I doubt we spend £30 on drinks. Deffo PAYG for us.

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

You also need to think about port days. Would you drink £80 worth in an evening if you had been off the ship all day? We wouldn't. Neither of us are big drinkers, so it's not for us.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I kind of wish there was a package that allowed you say, 4 -6 drinks a day. Throughout the day I might buy one coffee and one soft drink, and then a cocktail before dinner. Occasionally a Baileys after dinner, or another coffee, I don’t drink wine with a meal. The convenience would be great, but neither of us could possibly drink £40 worth, even factoring in soft drinks and coffee. But I do like the idea of a package....

PAYG for us sadly.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

GillD46 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 09:29
I kind of wish there was a package that allowed you say, 4 -6 drinks a day. Throughout the day I might buy one coffee and one soft drink, and then a cocktail before dinner. Occasionally a Baileys after dinner, or another coffee, I don’t drink wine with a meal. The convenience would be great, but neither of us could possibly drink £40 worth, even factoring in soft drinks and coffee. But I do like the idea of a package....

PAYG for us sadly.
PAYG on P&O is just as convenient as having a package, the service is identical, or almost, it depends whether you still need to sign for the package drinks, but the main benefit of PAYG is that it acts as a brake on you getting too intoxicated and making an exhibition of yourself.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 10:42
PAYG on P&O is just as convenient as having a package, the service is identical, or almost,
Not sure that is true based on what I have read. With PAYG I place one order for x number of drinks and sign once. With the package each person orders their drink and signs individually which is doubling the work of bar staff with a similar issue in the dining rooms where you can only have wine by the glass (if using the package), again increasing the workload of the wine stewards - if they are still in existence.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

towny44 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 10:42
GillD46 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 09:29

PAYG for us sadly.
PAYG on P&O is just as convenient as having a package, the service is identical, or almost, it depends whether you still need to sign for the package drinks, but the main benefit of PAYG is that it acts as a brake on you getting too intoxicated and making an exhibition of yourself.
I only have experience of an all inclusive package on Oceania, where you showed your card once, which had a sticker on, thereafter there was no need. And certainly no signing of anything - ever. The great advantage was I liked my cocktails adapted, and they would add in various liqueurs to make it just as I liked - and of course at no extra charge.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Laithewaite Wines have your Billi Billi but they call it Willy Willy …..Billy Willy is here
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

For those, who like me, were regular Billi Billi drinkers, don’t despair. An alternative which is now available is a Shiraz called Devlin Mount which is certainly as good as if not better than the aforementioned Billi x2.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 13:51
Laithewaite Wines have your Billi Billi but they call it Willy Willy …..Billy Willy is here

:lol: I wonder what d*ck head thinks of these names

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

colin parry wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 14:09
For those, who like me, were regular Billi Billi drinkers, don’t despair. An alternative which is now available is a Shiraz called Devlin Mount which is certainly as good as if not better than the aforementioned Billi x2.
Thanks for the heads up Colin :thumbup:

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Stephen wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 18:31
colin parry wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 14:09
Thanks for the heads up Colin :thumbup:
We were Billy Billy Drinkers and tried the Devlins Mount. We may have had a bad bottle but no way did it live up to Billy Billy.

We ended up trying all the reds on the Captains choice package and ended up just drinking White Sauv Blanc called Whakkapapa. This replaced the Stoneburn Sauv Blanc and in our opinion is superior.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Agree with you regarding the Devil's Mount Sue.
Bring back the Billi Billi.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We discovered a Peruvian Malbec on Ventura, recommended by the wine manager and it was excellent. Who would have thought of Peruvian wine?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The questions are astonishing on P&O pages on Facebook! No surprise there then. But the best has to be along the lines of "my wife and I are both tea total. Do we have to pay?"

There is also some confusion over currency coversion (okay total idiocy). Someone reckons the Princess package ($59.99 plus 15% gratuity) is good value, whereas the P&O package (£40) is a rip off!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 28 Feb 2019, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “About Ventura”