Any tips on what I need to take?

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
Carla+++
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Any tips on what I need to take?

Post by Carla+++ »

Hi, we're booked on a Norway cruise in a couple of weeks. I've done a cruise before but it was a very long time ago. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips on what I need to take, eg. Do they have a decent hairdryer in the cabins? Is there a dressing table mirror? Is there a kettle? Do you need to take coffee/tea bags? Many thanks

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any tips on what I need to take?

Post by david63 »

Carla+++ wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 22:03
Do they have a decent hairdryer in the cabins?
All P&O ships, as far as I am aware, have hairdriers but as to whether they are decent I cannot say as that is quite a subjective issue. If you have a particular requirement for a hairdrier then I would suggest that you take your own.
Is there a dressing table mirror?
There will be a mirror over the dressing table/desk, depending on the type of cabin that you have. My wife sometimes complains that the position of the light is not very good for hairdrying/make up and so always takes a travel mirror with her.
Is there a kettle? Do you need to take coffee/tea bags?
Yes there is a kettle in the cabin and tea, coffee, milk and sugar in the cabin. If you prefer a particular make of tea and/or coffee then some take their own.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Carla+++ :wave:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi Carla
There is loads of useful advice in the P&O FAQ
https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life- ... dress_code

My wife, Julie, has long fine hair and the cabin hairdryer works OK. On Britannia she felt it took ages whereas on Oceana it got too hot which meant she had to set it down and let it cool for a while.

As David says there is tea and coffee in the cabin. You can also ask the cabin steward if you have a specific requirement or maybe grab your favourites from the buffet for use in the cabin. There are also a couple of packets of biscuits usually in the cabin.

Some packing hints
- I used to always take a 4 gang extension lead with me but now I have replaced that with a high output USB charger that can charge multiple devices with different USB formats - it is recommended that you only charge items while you are in the cabin.
- if you are in an inside cabin then take a torch with you (it can get dark in there)
- a travel alarm clock is always useful
- keep any medication in your hand luggage
Other hints
- if you like soft drinks or ice cream there are good value pepsi and/or ice-cream cards you can buy at any bar
- there will generally be wifi available in many ports (if not ask the crew, they will know where to get free wifi)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 07:09
Welcome to the forum Carla+++ :wave:
Hi Carla…I was going to suggest you ask Stephen about hairdryers but on second thoughts perhaps not :lol:
As for tips…. remember to pack Dental floss, indigestion tablets, insect repellent.

Welcome to the forum

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I've been Mod'd

Not sure what was wrong with Winnie's picture of V for victory but there you go.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 11:49
I've been Mod'd

Not sure what was wrong with Winnie's picture of V for victory but there you go.
Hi Stephen…. Great to see the mods are doing their job :thumbup: ……. rule 26a stipulates two finger gestures to onelife are not allowed :D :thumbup: :angel:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I think the mods were a bit quick off the mark.
Anyone could see It was victory sign in your honour :sarcasm:

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Definitely take a torch. We were on a cruise a few years ago and had a power cut so no light in bedroom. Shining torch into mirror gave enough light to get dressed for dinner!

I have found the hairdrier ok, not the fastest, depends what you are used too.

Having a brain freeze so can't think of anything else that hasn't already been said!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 13:15
I think the mods were a bit quick off the mark.
Anyone could see It was victory sign in your honour :sarcasm:
It might have been more convincing had you left "bast**d" out of the caption…just saying! :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

You also need to take layers of clothes as the climate can change from hour to hour … and plenty of Norwegian cash as the place is a tad expensive and P&O may not have any of the local stuff on board.

ps …. Hello and welcome :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Carla...take a couple of bottles of bottled water on with you then stock up at your first port of call... your cabin water still tastes like diluted Pee.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:32
plenty of Norwegian cash
Not really necessary, apart from possible WC stops, as Norway is very "card friendly" - everywhere takes them even for small amounts.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

David is right, don't bother with cash unless you are rich as prices are very very high. If something does catch your eye and is a must have just use your card.

The thing with Norway is you can never tell what the weather is going to be like so you need to pack for all eventualities. We were there last May and it was gorgeous, shorts and T shirt weather. We were lucky.

You can also keep an eye on the weather channels for each port. No guarantee the weather will be what it says on the day you are there but it gives you an idea what to expect. I usually go onto the BBC weather channel and get up each port and then save them in my favourites, that way I can quickly check what the weather is doing as the cruise date approaches.

Most importantly, have a great time :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Apr 2019, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I recommend you take some anti sea sickness tablets - we use Stugeron. The trip up the North Sea can be exceptionally rough - it can also be as calm as a mill pond. We had one of the roughest sails we've had when we visited the Fjords but on our next trip it was flat calm, you can never tell. We visited the Fjords in July, so weather can be very unpredictable.
Another tip - I always pack clothes on the metal coat hangers that you get from dry cleaners. I take the horrible big wooden hangers out of the wardrobe and store them in one of our empty cases which goes under the bed. Then I'm able to just transfer clothes straight from the case to the wardrobe, saves ages of time when you don't have to put them all on hangers.
I also usually cut out the plan of the ship I'm travelling on from the back of a brochure, cellotape it together so when we're trying to find out way around an unfamiliar ship it's useful to have it to look at - much easier than the tiny map you're given with your cruise card when you board. If you happen to have one of the old brochures when they printed the plans in much larger detail so much the better. If there have been any alterations on board you can put those in easily.
Have a great cruise!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 18:55
plenty of Norwegian cash
Not really necessary, apart from possible WC stops, as Norway is very "card friendly" - everywhere takes them even for small amounts.
Fair enough but we didn't wish to use our cards to pay for post cards, fridge magnets and ice creams or coffee stops etc.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 09:26
david63 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 18:55
plenty of Norwegian cash
Fair enough but we didn't wish to use our cards to pay for post cards, fridge magnets and ice creams or coffee stops etc.
Obviously one of the rich forum members. ;)

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

It rains 3 days out of 5 in Bergen. Be prepared.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Or make sure you go on one of the other two! Though the statistic sounds about right in our experience.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 17 Apr 2019, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Oh yes, re the hairdryer - I always take my own, even on a fly cruise, but that's because I have very thick hair and one of the P&O hairdryers would take ages for me to get it dry. If you have fine hair I would think it would be ok.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Onelife wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:32
Hi Carla...take a couple of bottles of bottled water on with you then stock up at your first port of call... your cabin water still tastes like diluted Pee.
I couldn't be bothered OL. :sarcasm: Too heavy to lug around and we have better things to do in ports of call than visit supermarkets to buy water.

Personally I've never tried diluted pee, so can't vouch for the comparison, but we find that water from the tap put in a bottle in the fridge tastes okay by the next day. But if you're really a bottled water fan you can buy it on board.

Or just drink alcohol! :thumbup:
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 18 Apr 2019, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Never had a problem with the onboard bottled water........apart from the price.

Return to “About Britannia”