Size of cabins in newer ships

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Size of cabins in newer ships

Post by CaroleF »

I haven't been on Britannia so I can't comment on the sizes of cabins on there, particularly the suites. However, having been on both Azura and Ventura in suites and on Oceana in suites and mini suites I know about the sizes of those cabins. We have been in the C deck aft mini suites on Oceana on fairly numerous occasions and we've always known that those aft minis are larger than the suites on Azura and Ventura - and presumably those on Britannia as well. I was looking back at lots of information I collected when we first went on a P&O cruise on the old Adonia - now Sea Princess and sister ship to Oceana. At the time - back in 2005 on the old Cruise Critic site I found measurements published comparing the mid ship Oceana mini suites with the aft minis. I think they make interesting reading. Maybe someone knows the measurements of suites on Azura, Ventura, Britannia and the forthcoming Iona, might make an interesting comparison.

Anyway here's the measurements for Oceana mini suites:
Midhip mini suites: 370 square feet including balcony @ 3ft 11in x 17ft 3 in

Aft mini suites: B deck: 365 square feet including balcony @ 6ft x 16ft 6in
C deck: 563 square feet including balcony @ 10ft x 16ft
D deck: 413 square feet including balcony -sorry don't have the balcony measurement

When I look at the size of the C deck minis and compare it with what I know the size of the suites on Azura and Ventura are I find it amazing. Although I don't know the actual size of the latter suites I have been in one of them enough to know that they are nowhere near the size of our favourites aft minis on Oceana C Deck.
Of course the size of the Oceana suites on C deck are even larger than the minis either side.

My point in saying all this is that no way are P&O ever going to have ships with cabins the size of those Oceana minis and suites. I know that Oceana was an American ship originally, not built for P&O but even so it's very interesting. So I suppose these days in order to get a cabin the size of the C deck aft minis on Oceana one would have to look at lines like Oceania, Seabourn etc. Just a sign of the times I suppose.

I'm not sure what we'll do in the future. We were supposed to be going on Arcadia for a week this coming Sunday but we had to cancel yesterday as John's been in hospital - he's never ill - with what sound as though it's a viral infection which has given him loss of hearing and double vision with dreadful headaches but after a CT scan and an MRI scan which were both clear it appears that the most likely thing is a Viral Infection and he continues to have blood tests to study the infection markers in his blood. Things seem to have started to improve so hopefully we're moving in the right direction. Arcadia will have to wait for another time. I was looking forward to going on her for the first time since 2008.

If Arcadia, Oceana and Aurora go, we'd go on Azura at a pinch if she was really going somewhere we wanted to go, I'm not sure the next move. We've been on Fred Olsen and at I'd consider doing 7 nights but no longer, too small cabins, too old ships. I know for some people the size of their cabins are not important, they say they just use them to sleep and change in but for us, we spend quite a lot of time in our cabin so it is important to us. We'll see!

Carole

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Size of cabins in newer ships

Post by david63 »

A good sire for comparing the size of cabins/suites is https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Whilst I always like to have as a minimum a balcony, I would always choose a smaller cabin on a quality cruise line over a larger cabin on a mainstream line.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

CaroleF wrote: 16 May 2019, 10:48
I haven't been on Britannia so I can't comment on the sizes of cabins on there, particularly the suites. However, having been on both Azura and Ventura in suites and on Oceana in suites and mini suites I know about the sizes of those cabins. We have been in the C deck aft mini suites on Oceana on fairly numerous occasions and we've always known that those aft minis are larger than the suites on Azura and Ventura - and presumably those on Britannia as well. I was looking back at lots of information I collected when we first went on a P&O cruise on the old Adonia - now Sea Princess and sister ship to Oceana. At the time - back in 2005 on the old Cruise Critic site I found measurements published comparing the mid ship Oceana mini suites with the aft minis. I think they make interesting reading. Maybe someone knows the measurements of suites on Azura, Ventura, Britannia and the forthcoming Iona, might make an interesting comparison.

Anyway here's the measurements for Oceana mini suites:
Midhip mini suites: 370 square feet including balcony @ 3ft 11in x 17ft 3 in

Aft mini suites: B deck: 365 square feet including balcony @ 6ft x 16ft 6in
C deck: 563 square feet including balcony @ 10ft x 16ft
D deck: 413 square feet including balcony -sorry don't have the balcony measurement

When I look at the size of the C deck minis and compare it with what I know the size of the suites on Azura and Ventura are I find it amazing. Although I don't know the actual size of the latter suites I have been in one of them enough to know that they are nowhere near the size of our favourites aft minis on Oceana C Deck.
Of course the size of the Oceana suites on C deck are even larger than the minis either side.

My point in saying all this is that no way are P&O ever going to have ships with cabins the size of those Oceana minis and suites. I know that Oceana was an American ship originally, not built for P&O but even so it's very interesting. So I suppose these days in order to get a cabin the size of the C deck aft minis on Oceana one would have to look at lines like Oceania, Seabourn etc. Just a sign of the times I suppose.

I'm not sure what we'll do in the future. We were supposed to be going on Arcadia for a week this coming Sunday but we had to cancel yesterday as John's been in hospital - he's never ill - with what sound as though it's a viral infection which has given him loss of hearing and double vision with dreadful headaches but after a CT scan and an MRI scan which were both clear it appears that the most likely thing is a Viral Infection and he continues to have blood tests to study the infection markers in his blood. Things seem to have started to improve so hopefully we're moving in the right direction. Arcadia will have to wait for another time. I was looking forward to going on her for the first time since 2008.

If Arcadia, Oceana and Aurora go, we'd go on Azura at a pinch if she was really going somewhere we wanted to go, I'm not sure the next move. We've been on Fred Olsen and at I'd consider doing 7 nights but no longer, too small cabins, too old ships. I know for some people the size of their cabins are not important, they say they just use them to sleep and change in but for us, we spend quite a lot of time in our cabin so it is important to us. We'll see!

Carole
Of course they were built by P&O for Princess as this was the time when Princess was part of P&O. The problem with Oceana is that there are only 6 suites altogether. Aurora has 10 and Arcadia over 20. And clearly the bigger ships more.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

daib GC wrote: 16 May 2019, 19:52
And clearly the bigger ships more.
That is not strictly true. Yes Ventura/Azura have slightly more (26) and Britannia has the most at 68 but Iona, which as we know is the largest ship, only has 24 full suites.
Arcadia over 20.
For the record Arcadia has 36

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We had a suite on Britannia, and it was very large indeed, and much more of a proper suite than any others we have been in with P&O or even Cunard, with a very definite separation of living/sleeping areas. And the bathroom was enormous. The balcony, however, while wrap-around, wasn’t very deep.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Trouble sleeping Gill.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Stephen wrote: 17 May 2019, 10:48
Trouble sleeping Gill.
Yes, got a sore throat and hacking cough that kept me awake.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Oh dear. Perhaps you need a fisherman's friend ;)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Are you offering?
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You need to watch out for strange men who offer young women sweeties! :sarcasm:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Very true :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

But back to the topic.... a long time back we had a midships mini suite on Oceana which seemed very similar in design if not size to our recent suite on Azura

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 May 2019, 14:15

:eh: :)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Stephen wrote: 17 May 2019, 16:09
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 May 2019, 14:15

:eh: :)
Now hang on there Stephen, I AM young - well youngish - ok, almost young! At least in my head I am!
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

:D

She bites easily.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

david63 wrote: 16 May 2019, 21:35
And clearly the bigger ships more.
That is not strictly true. Yes Ventura/Azura have slightly more (26) and Britannia has the most at 68 but Iona, which as we know is the largest ship, only has 24 full suites.
Arcadia over 20.
For the record Arcadia has 36
David, I was close.

:) 8-)

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 May 2019, 15:52
But back to the topic.... a long time back we had a midships mini suite on Oceana which seemed very similar in design if not size to our recent suite on Azura
They are.

Big Bob
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Big Bob »

I agree with this having been in the Oceana aft mini suites. They really are worthy of the name.

Because of work commitments we always went in a P&O suite for our holiday - blowing the budget in one go. When we first went we were treated like royalty with invites to all sorts of events:

- invite to captain’s lounge to view the lunch time arrival in Majorca with a very nice seafood buffet lunch.
- on a Panama Canal passage invite to the ward room balcony to view the passage with food and drink provided.
- invite to senior officer’s cocktail party.

The last two cruises we did in a suite all these things disappeared. We then realised that we were being treated like everyone else. Final straw was when I was questioned in an Azura lift about my height (6feet 7) by someone who was paralytic and made us concerned for our safety.

My final comment will, I know be controversial but when I read that the loyalty scheme is feting people who probably spend as much as us in a year over many cruises as we did on one we became very unhappy campers and have used Celebrity since who recognise cost in the loyalty scheme and still have extras.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”