Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
andyferris
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Access to tenders on crutches

Post by andyferris »

Hello everyone.

We would like to book the cruise to the Norwegian fjords on the Black Watch in July but my leg is currently in a full plaster cast and by then will be in a restricted cast bent at 30 or 60 degrees. I will be on sticks or crutches but can get about quite easily by myself up and down any stairs etc. We saw reference to wheelchairs not having access to the tenders and we wonder if anyone can tell us how accessible the tenders will be for me. There are two tender ports on that trip and I would not want to miss out.

Thanks.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Access to tenders on crutches

Post by david63 »

I cannot speak for FO but with P&O you have to be able to stride across a given distance unaided to be able to use a tender.

I would suggest that you contact FO ans ask them what their poilcy is.

Worst case scenario is that you have to stay on board and have the ship to yourself!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

As David said, you have to be physically able to board an ordinary tender. I doubt that the company will allow you on with a full leg plaster.
I'd give them a call if I were you.
Whatever happens, have a lovely holiday.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Another thing to consider is that space is very limited on tenders, and if you can’t bend your leg fully, it might be awkward to fit into the space available
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Good point Gill. As others have said on P and O you have to do the specific step test to show you are able to get on and off the tenders.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

There is also the potential situation of an emergency evacuation of a tender.
Highly unlikely but possible.
I'd say on the balance of probability, that they would not let you on a tender Andy.
As I said, call them to confirm either way.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote: 31 May 2019, 11:47
I cannot speak for FO but with P&O you have to be able to stride across a given distance unaided to be able to use a tender.

I would suggest that you contact FO ans ask them what their poilcy is.

Worst case scenario is that you have to stay on board and have the ship to yourself!
Do P&O still do the stride test? We were on Oceana last November and didn't have to do one.

On thinking about it, there were no tender ports :oops:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 31 May 2019, 17:30
Do P&O still do the stride test? We were on Oceana last November and didn't have to do one.
Yes - but it seems to vary by ship. On Aurira earlier this year it was mandatory, but on Arcadia last year it was more "lip service"

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 31 May 2019, 18:57
Yes - but it seems to vary by ship. On Aurira earlier this year it was mandatory, but on Arcadia last year it was more "lip service"
Never known it to be mandatory, even for accessible cabin passengers, however if you have any disability and don't attend then they assume you are staying on board.
For someone who is able bodied but temporarily using crutches then I would assume that P&O would ask them to attend the step over test just to ensure they would not have a serious problem; I imagine Fred would have something similar.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 31 May 2019, 18:57
They did it for everyone on our recent Azura cruise, en-route to the tender embarkation. Easy test for able bodied people but trickier if one of the lines is bobbing up and down! :sarcasm:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

When we were on FO in January everyone did the stride test on the way to the first tender.

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

Just back from Azura and tender test still being carried out, same as before, two white lines, 18in apart, have to cross unaided, should think crutches would be seen as an aid but might be wrong, give them a call and check, have a nice cruise.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I will have a look in my pre cruise holiday booklet to see if it mentions anything as we have two tender ports on our cruise this month.

Lindsey

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have checked and there is a long blurb about being able to pass the step test. You must declare if you are not physically able to get and off the tender unaided.

I think its bestbif you contact Fred O directly.

Return to “Fred Olsen”