Re: Last One to Post Wins

Post by Happydays »

Now now not the dreaded "C" word 🎄🎅😂

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

That pension robbing BBC says the temp in Outlane will only be 9 deg tomorrow, and pouring down all day, you'd think they would choose a better week to announce the end of free TV licenses for us poor downtrodden over 75s. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I think they should charge you double. ;) :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

:moresarcasm:
towny44 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 22:46
That pension robbing BBC says the temp in Outlane will only be 9 deg tomorrow, and pouring down all day, you'd think they would choose a better week to announce the end of free TV licenses for us poor downtrodden over 75s. ;)
Blame the government. They knew it was becoming too expensive and dumped it on the BBC to make the difficult decision. But never mind. Presumably Sky is free for pensioners? :sarcasm:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I didn't realise repeats were so expensive

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Fortunately paying the license fee will not be a problem for us, but I would prefer to keep the £154 to spend on cruising.
However I would still like to see a radical overhaul of the BBC from the salaries of some of its so called star presenters, down to the ridiculous expense of sending news anchors all over the place to present live reports. With modern technology its pointless wasting money and increasing carbon emissions by flying teams around the world unnecessarily. In that way everyone could benefit from a massive reduction in the license fee.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We are not going to agree on this because we all have personal biases, including me.

But there are a few inescapable facts.

This country has a variety of funding methods for its broadcasters, including the license fee, advertising, sponsorship and subscription. That variety has ensured for years that our broadcasters are not competing for revenue and are not in the same financial race to the bottom (though with shows like Love Island I sometimes wonder) as seen in other countries. We may have gripes about what we have but many other countries are envious of it.

The oft quoted high salaries of some BBC "stars" are dictated in a market led by commercial competition. Almost without fail stars who leave the BBC earn more elsewhere. A lot more. Look at the Top Gear crowd and Bake Off as just two examples. Is it fair to expect the BBC to continue to develop new talent only for it to be poached when proven? The vast majority of BBC staff earn modest salaries. I know. I was one of them.

If you analyse the figures and hours of output the BBC costs less per hour of original output than the competition, in like for like genres. Yes, even repeats cost money in residual fees. Less than new shows but still significant. And if you tot up the number of repeats you'll find ITV and the rest have just as many. Not that the Daily Mail will ever mention it. In fact the BBC produces more original output than the rest.

If you tot up the audience for all the BBC's services, and the audiences for ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and all the Sky Channels, the BBC has more.

ITV is not free for pensioners. Just try asking for a discount on stuff you buy because you are a) old and b) don't want to pay for ITV. Sky isn't free for pensioners either. And whilst there are poor pensioners there are also pensioners who are a lot better off than younger people. Why should my daughter, who has much less disposable income than me, pay for my tv viewing? The BBC has said it will still protect the poorest pensioners. And I doubt that is anyone on the forum.

As for reporters at the scene of major world events, yes there is technology. But to be sure of getting the true facts you need to be on the ground, especially on this era of fake news. And if you are on the ground you might as well be seen. It's also not just a BBC thing. Every major event has reports and anchors from all the major news outlets falling over each other for space.

As I said we won't agree. We all have biases. But personally I am disgusted that this government has dumped payment of what a previous administration introduced as a benefit onto the BBC, knowing full well it was unsustainable. I don't often agree with Jezzer's crew but I am 100% with them over their allegations of hypocracy levelled at the Tories who ducked this problem and now criticise the BBC for making the difficult decision they avoided.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

You nearly wrote a book there Merv, but very good points covered. I myself love the BBC for the quality dramas and documentaries. Radio also play a big part and for keeping up with what's going on. Not so much comedy that suits me now so some repeats still gives me a laugh, to PC now in comedy.
'Not going out' is a good watch if you like relaxing comedy.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray B wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 18:41
You nearly wrote a book there Merv, but very good points covered. I myself love the BBC for the quality dramas and documentaries. Radio also play a big part and for keeping up with what's going on. Not so much comedy that suits me now so some repeats still gives me a laugh, to PC now in comedy.
'Not going out' is a good watch if you like relaxing comedy.
Yes I wondered if he is paid by the column inch by the Beeb for his favourable posts? :sarcasm: :lol:
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I.said we'd disagree Towny. You're entitled to your views and I'm entitled to mine, ideally without disparagement. But for the record the BBC pay me nothing other than my pension. Presumably as your former employer pays you yours. In fact when I worked for them there were no perks. Not even a free tv license. It was a summary dismissal offence not to buy one. I support the BBC because I enjoy their programmes. And enjoy not being interrupted by repetitive inane ads.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 12 Jun 2019, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

A PVR also provides you with a reasonable way of scrolling quickly through the adverts to lesson their inanity. And there was no disparagement of your views, merely a whimsically lighthearted poke at your very laudable loyalty to your old employer. :roll:

PS Were the stats on costs per hour independent or from the BBC? Because if the figures quoted in the media for Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh's fee per episode are correct, then the costs are set to rise rapidly.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

'whimsically'......great word

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:02
'whimsically'......great word
Are we going for a new word every day? :sarcasm:

Good plan. It could be a thread on its own. :D

Cerulean is a nice one.

I'm currently reading a book whose author seems to like lobbing in words that force the reader to seek out Mr Google!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 22:52
There was no disparagement of your views, merely a whimsically lighthearted poke at your very laudable loyalty to your old employer. :roll:

PS Were the stats on costs per hour independent or from the BBC? Because if the figures quoted in the media for Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh's fee per episode are correct, then the costs are set to rise rapidly.
I know I may seem touchy Towny, but I get really bored and p'ed off with BBC knocking, especially from the Daily Mail, whose editor earns 5 times as much as the BBC DG for editing one paper a day!

And no it's not loyalty. I just like what the BBC offers in general, though it's far from perfect and has me chucking things at the set some times. It's gone downhill since I left! And I think it's good value for money and a cornerstone of the British system.

But to answer your questions, the stats are independent. And as for Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh's fees, Sandra was a big star in the US before series one and Jodie is a rapidly rising star. Their new fees, if accurate, are par for the course across broadcasters for successful shows. I know it's the sort of money we can only dream of, but it's less for weeks of work,long hours each day, often 12 or more, than many Premier Leagure footballers pickm up for kicking a bag of wind round for 90 minutes. I know which I'd prefer watching. You will also know of course that Killing Eve is a joint UK/US production, which keeps the costs down for us. The sort of initiative the BBC is very good at.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 13 Jun 2019, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Billy no mates yesterday and today as Mrs S and her sister have gone off with their mum for a couple of days down to Kent.

Can someone tell what a cooker looks like.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 12:20
Billy no mates yesterday and today as Mrs S and her sister have gone off with their mum for a couple of days down to Kent.

Can someone tell what a cooker looks like.
You'll find it in the kitchen. If you know where that is. Or you could just bring the BBQ into the lounge.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The cooker is a rectangular thing with knobs on …. or is that the TV :?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

All sounds too complicated.
Looks like sandwiches again.......from the shop
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Jun 2019, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 13:56
The cooker is a rectangular thing with knobs on …. or is that the TV :?
Is that the origin if the phrase "tv dinner"?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The cook returns today :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Are you going to cook her something nice as a special treat ? :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

He may do just that, just got to find the cooker.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 08:41
Are you going to cook her something nice as a special treat ? :angel:
I'm not sure "Stephen cook" and "special treat" in the same sentence is correct English grammar. :crazy:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I've got out of that one as she is out at a colleagues retirement doo up at the local hospital this evening. I've already got left over 'something', (could be curry) out of the freezer ready for re-heating later by her fair hand. :thumbup: :angel:

It's all gourmet stuff here you know.
Last edited by Stephen on 14 Jun 2019, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You're too good to her.

Return to “Games”