Iona dress codes

All about Iona

Topic author
malcolm769
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Iona dress codes

Post by malcolm769 »

I know it's early,but can anyone give me an idea of how many formal/ semi formal dress nights I can expect on a 14 night Southampton to Southampton cruise
Thanks, Malcolm

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Iona dress codes

Post by david63 »

The short answer is that nobody knows (outside of P&O)

If Iona follows the same pattern as the other ships then there will be two black tie evenings a week with the rest being smart casual - but it is possible that Iona will have her own set of dress codes.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Malcolm :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 11:18
The short answer is that nobody knows (outside of P&O)

If Iona follows the same pattern as the other ships then there will be two black tie evenings a week with the rest being smart casual - but it is possible that Iona will have her own set of dress codes.

I can't see P&O changing the dress code for one ship from what is expected from the rest of the fleet. It hasn't happened before with new ships so why would they start now. Some passengers can't follow the current standard rules.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 11:49
I can't see P&O changing the dress code for one ship from what is expected from the rest of the fleet. It hasn't happened before with new ships so why would they start now.
I wouldn't disagree but there were rumours that Iona would not have "formal" nights. If you recall P&O did have different dress codes on certain ships - Ventura and Oceana dropped "Informal" before the rest of the fleet, so anything is possible.

Whilst P&O havn't said that there will any change to the dress codes on Iona they also havn't said that there will not be.

There is also the change to all Freedom dining on Iona making a more "casual" ship so it is feasible that the dress codes could also change.

As I said, apart from P&O nobody knows at the moment.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

New P&O Cruises ship Iona will retain formal nights, the line’s senior vice president Paul Ludlow said tonight.

At an event to highlight some of the new food and features of the ship – launching in 2020 – Mr Ludlow answered a question about whether the requirement to dress up would be abandoned by answering: ‘No. On a typical seven-night voyage on Iona there will be one gala night.

This was last year on shipmonk.co.uk.

Apparently tbere will be a gin distillery too.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

That’s interesting. Currently, on a typical 7 night cruise there’s 2 formal nights, so if Paul Ludlow is correct, it’s possible there will be less formal nights on Iona.

One formal night would make perfect sense to me. Make the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party really special, and not bother with a formal-night-for-the-sake-of-it later in the cruise.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

One black tie night per 7 days will be a big change on the current frequency.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Personally I think one formal night a week is plenty. On our recent ten day cruise there was the Captains gala dinner (nothing much gala about it) plus two further formal nights very close together. Mrs S and I like the formal nights but felt there was no need to squeeze so many in. The gala night and maybe one formal wood have been plenty.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:27
… One formal night would make perfect sense to me. Make the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party really special, and not bother with a formal-night-for-the-sake-of-it later in the cruise.
I agree with you there Gill, Gala nights were really special when we first cruised with P&O c2,000 :thumbup:

In any event the ' formality ' will reduce by evolution as folk move away from Club Dining to the alternate Dining venues where the dress code would be elegant casual rather than Formal on the Formal night ( s ).
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gill W wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:27

One formal night would make perfect sense to me. Make the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party really special, and not bother with a formal-night-for-the-sake-of-it later in the cruise.
Well, we may not agree on B****t, but yet again we concur on something else - one formal night per week would be plenty for me as well, though I do think the majority view should prevail. Having said that, I have no idea what the majority view would be.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

The problem nowadays is a cruise is not that special, as in years ago, you had to put up a great deal of money compared to today. The thing with the bigger and bigger ships is that they attract lots of families and younger passengers (which is a good thing), but today's new generation do not take much pride with what they wear, plus this is the new market cruise lines are trying to attract to their ships. Us more senior cruises may find it hard to take, but we must embrace it or go with more expensive line that do 'Posh'.
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ray B wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 14:37
The problem nowadays is a cruise is not that special, as in years ago, you had to put up a great deal of money compared to today. The thing with the bigger and bigger ships is that they attract lots of families and younger passengers (which is a good thing), but today's new generation do not take much pride with what they wear, plus this is the new market cruise lines are trying to attract to their ships. Us more senior cruises may find it hard to take, but we must embrace it or go with more expensive line that do 'Posh'.
Is that ' Posh ' la de da or ' POSH ' Port Out / Starboard Home ? :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 16:04
'Posh'.
Is that ' Posh ' la de da or ' POSH ' Port Out / Starboard Home ? :wave:
Ha, ha,. Old cruisers never die, they post on here.
Don't worry, be happy

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That's a great point Ray.
Personally I like the odd formal evening but if there were fewer, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Empty vessels .. and all that

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Interestingly on FB there have been a number of polls and a recent one with 3000 + respondents came down very heavily in favour of the status quo. Which surprised me.

With regard to the original question I suspect there will be no change in dress codes on Iona.

Sorry just checked 2600 + respondents but the odd thing was that 880 wanted more formal nights.
Last edited by daib GC on 24 Jun 2019, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 00:36
Interestingly on FB there have been a number of polls and a recent one with 3000 + respondents came down very heavily in favour of the status quo. Which surprised me.

With regard to the original question I suspect there will be no change in dress codes on Iona.

Sorry just checked 2600 + respondents but the odd thing was that 880 wanted more formal nights.
Dai, which FB page was that on, I did not see it on the P&O pages I use.
John

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 08:57

The main one ‘P & O cruises’ 3/4/5 days ago

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:52
towny44 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 08:57

The main one ‘P & O cruises’ 3/4/5 days ago
Thanks Dai for some reason notifications were all off? Anyway I voted and was very surprised that my vote for fewer black tie nights was at the bottom with less than 10%, clearly at variance with quite a few folk over on CC.
John

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Maybe it's me but I don't see why people have such a problem with 'formal nights' - surely you make the same effort getting ready every night so what difference does it make whether you are wearing casual or formal clothes :roll:

I can perhaps understand people doing fly cruises where luggage limits could be an issue but not when sailing out of Southampton.

Yet another reason I no longer sail with P&O as they continue to 'dumb down' - perhaps some think the way forward is anytime dining and 'anything goes' but that isn't why I started cruising and I do wonder how many members had the same ideals I have when they started cruising ( which I have never lost )
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 24 Jun 2019, 16:09, edited 3 times in total.
Jo

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Nice to know you are not alone, Jo.
Don't worry, be happy

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Ray B wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:10
Nice to know you are not alone, Jo.

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
Jo

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Dancing Queen wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:00
Maybe it's me but I don't see why people have such a problem with 'formal nights' - surely you make the same effort getting ready every night so what difference does it make whether you are wearing casual or formal clothes :roll:

I can perhaps understand people doing fly cruises where luggage limits could be an issue but not when sailing out of Southampton.

Yet another reason I no longer sail with P&O as they continue to 'dumb down' - perhaps some think the way forward is anytime dining and 'anything goes' but that isn't why I started cruising and I do wonder how many members had the same ideals I have when they started cruising ( which I have never lost )

A buttoned collar, tie and jacket against an open neck loose fitting smart casual shirt.

Don't get me wrong, we like the formal nights, just not too many in a short space of time.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

Well Jo Speaking for myself I just do not like myself in formal clothing. I dont feel relaxed or comfortable.

My style of dress is smart and hopefully I do look smart but just have a dislike for dressing up. I am clean and well mannered and dislike swearing!!!

I am quite happy to eat in the buffett as there is a nice atmosphere in the evening. I am very happy to see others dressed up and enjoying themselves but feel no desire to do the same.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Stephen wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:43
Dancing Queen wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:00

A buttoned collar, tie and jacket against an open neck loose fitting smart casual shirt.

Don't get me wrong, we like the formal nights, just not too many in a short space of time.
Yes, we've done some longer cruises in the last few years, and sometimes on formal nights it seems like Brenda from Bristol. 'Oh no, not ANOTHER one' !
Gill

Return to “About Iona”