Iona dress codes

All about Iona

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Iona dress codes

Post by Gill W »

Finker wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:46
Well Jo Speaking for myself I just do not like myself in formal clothing. I dont feel relaxed or comfortable.

My style of dress is smart and hopefully I do look smart but just have a dislike for dressing up. I am clean and well mannered and dislike swearing!!!

I am quite happy to eat in the buffett as there is a nice atmosphere in the evening. I am very happy to see others dressed up and enjoying themselves but feel no desire to do the same.
We normally go along with the formal nights, but a couple of times on longer cruises, we have opted out and eaten in the buffet.

However, even though we have opted out of the formal night, we still change for dinner and make sure we are smart and well turned out.

There seems to be a view on forums, that, if people opt out of formal nights they are going to dress in a slovenly manner instead. I don't think this is the case at all.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:12
Finker wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 16:46
Well Jo Speaking for myself I just do not like myself in formal clothing. I dont feel relaxed or comfortable.

My style of dress is smart and hopefully I do look smart but just have a dislike for dressing up. I am clean and well mannered and dislike swearing!!!

I am quite happy to eat in the buffett as there is a nice atmosphere in the evening. I am very happy to see others dressed up and enjoying themselves but feel no desire to do the same.
We normally go along with the formal nights, but a couple of times on longer cruises, we have opted out and eaten in the buffet.

However, even though we have opted out of the formal night, we still change for dinner and make sure we are smart and well turned out.

There seems to be a view on forums, that, if people opt out of formal nights they are going to dress in a slovenly manner instead. I don't think this is the case at all.
Agree totally Gill, we enjoy formal nights but would enjoy them more, for the scarcity value, if there were fewer of them, one per week is plenty for us, although I do quite like the way I look in a DJ, even for an old codger.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

You are so right Gill. That is why I said tongue in cheek that I was clean and well mannered.

I have seen many a formally dressed person that has offended me in actions and speech.

Never mind. On American cruises the passengers usually change on a formal night after dinner and high end lines do not have formal evenings.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Finker wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:23
You are so right Gill. That is why I said tongue in cheek that I was clean and well mannered.

I have seen many a formally dressed person that has offended me in actions and speech.

Never mind. On American cruises the passengers usually change on a formal night after dinner and high end lines do not have formal evenings.
Indeed not nor do the Riverboat Cruise Lines.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I don't think I have ever suggested on this forum that people who 'don't do formal' are slovenly :o

I do however suggest that the 'dumbing down' by P&O has attracted shall we say some 'interesting' people, having spent in the excess off 500 nights on P&O ships I think this more than qualifies me to have an opinion :wtf:

I have never thought 'clothes maketh the person' but I do think P&O are going down the wrong road - just my opinion of course and like everything - others are entitled to theirs.
Jo

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

I know I'm one of the minority but I love the whole dressing up thing. May be partly my job, despite popular opinion, there is nothing attractive about a nurses uniform!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You're not alone welshy. There are so few opportunities nowadays to dress up that the formal nights are something special. Must admit I used to like nurses when they wore those little hats and red lined capes. Now there's smart!!!! :thumbup:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 21:50
You're not alone welshy. There are so few opportunities nowadays to dress up that the formal nights are something special. Must admit I used to like nurses when they wore those little hats and red lined capes. Now there's smart!!!! :thumbup:
Not forgetting those wide belts wrapped around those tiny waists, Ohhhhhh, sorry getting too excited!!!! :shock:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 22:43
oldbluefox wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 21:50
Not forgetting those wide belts wrapped around those tiny waists, Ohhhhhh, sorry getting too excited!!!! :shock:

Steady John, think of the old ticker :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

:sarcasm:
welshynurse wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 20:19
I know I'm one of the minority but I love the whole dressing up thing. May be partly my job, despite popular opinion, there is nothing attractive about a nurses uniform!
I don't think you're one of the minority at all. P&O survey their passengers often enough and if you were formal nights would be gone.

I simply think those who oppose the dress code shout louder.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

So true Merv !!!!

Maybe those of us who want to see 'formal' retained should start shouting louder :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I was one of those nurses with the old uniform, red lined cloak as well - and did we need those in the winter crossing the square to the hospital in London. Several years ago we had a lot of the military nurses at our local Portsmouth hospitals when the Royal Naval Haslar closed - a criminal act - and initially they appeared in their traditional naval nurses' uniforms - with their wonderful fluted caps. I was visiting a friend - she and I were both nurses in our dim and distant youth - when one of the Haslar nurses came in and we were reminiscing with her when she told us that a woman who she saw when she first came onto the ward said to her - 'Oh how lovely to see a proper Nurse!' I know there's lots of reasons why nurses today either wear disgusting overall type things or scrubs but Nurses dressed as they used to be certainly gave confidence to patients.

Carole

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

CaroleF wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 09:23
I was one of those nurses with the old uniform, red lined cloak as well - and did we need those in the winter crossing the square to the hospital in London. Several years ago we had a lot of the military nurses at our local Portsmouth hospitals when the Royal Naval Haslar closed - a criminal act - and initially they appeared in their traditional naval nurses' uniforms - with their wonderful fluted caps. I was visiting a friend - she and I were both nurses in our dim and distant youth - when one of the Haslar nurses came in and we were reminiscing with her when she told us that a woman who she saw when she first came onto the ward said to her - 'Oh how lovely to see a proper Nurse!' I know there's lots of reasons why nurses today either wear disgusting overall type things or scrubs but Nurses dressed as they used to be certainly gave confidence to patients.

Carole
Did you not feel a sense of pride when you wore that uniform, when you got your belt buckle and when you wore that red cloak for the very first time? Maybe dress code is deemed old fashioned nowadays but sometimes I believe it makes people feel special, that they have achieved something. Moving from smart I wonder how theatre staff feel in their green 'scrubs', a uniform in its own rite?
In a German hospital close to us the nurses changed into a white top and white trousers and wore white 'clogs'. At least you could differentiate who was a nurse, who was an ancillary and who was the tea lady!!!
Last edited by oldbluefox on 26 Jun 2019, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ah the Germans know how to do it. Tea ladies in operating theatres. Great when the surgeon needs a biscuit. :sarcasm:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 15:32
Ah the Germans know how to do it. Tea ladies in operating theatres. Great when the surgeon needs a biscuit. :sarcasm:

You need to be careful where you dunk it though

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

All this talk of nurses uniforms - dear old Cubie would be salivating :lolno: - wonder how the old devil is ;)
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I still have my belt buckle and my Hospital Badge as well as my Registration Badge. I also have my Schedule of Nursing all duly signed and my finals papers.
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Yes I do think we felt a sense of pride in our uniform. Sometimes we moaned about the short sleeves in the depths of winter and sometimes we moaned about the collars in the heat of summer but yes I felt proud to wear the uniform - Barts in my case. We had sensible lace up black shoes - very comfortable once you got used to them and of course the black stockings - stockings not tights when I first started nursing. We were not allowed a scrap of makeup, no jewellery, and hair had to be back and off the collar. Very different now of course!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Don't mention 'stockings' Carole it will send a few temperatures rising :o :crazy:

I so agree a 'proper' uniform did give confidence to patients, I think our NHS nurses are wonderful but the uniforms don't impress me.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I worked as a Staff Nurse at the Royal Masonic Hospital in London in the long, hot summer of 1976. Our uniforms were the old style, made of heavy duty cotton and fully lined in the same material, then an apron over the top. We HAD to wear tights and lace up shoes and huge, frilly caps. It was utterly unbearable on the ward - with no a/c. Scrubs for me definitely!
Gill

Return to “About Iona”