Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: X909 Around Britain cruise June 19

Post by Dancing Queen »

Kenmo1 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 21:33
Whynd1 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 18:39
not the officer hosted tables or the fizz and cake
When we first started cruising on Oriana back in 2000 we were very lucky twice to get placed on officer hosted tables which we quite enjoyed because they provided the wine most nights from their allowance. It seemed the normal thing then. Great for us as we were real cheapskates ( still are) just booking the cheapest cabins possible and getting our table drinks provided. What not to like !!! I can remember one officer was Adrian Archer and another one was called John Thorne, I think. It only happened to us when we were on Oriana, not on any of the other ships we went on. Possibly some of the cruisers who went on PO before 2000 can say whether it did happen regularly on other ships as well but it was a nice touch. We actually keep in touch on Facebook and at Christmas with 2 of the couples who also shared the table with us - perhaps the wine helped.

Glad the holiday turned out well Lindsey. Looking forward to your report.

We've been on several officer hosted tables over the years mainly on Oriana and Aurora and mostly over the Christmas period ( I always assumed it was because the officers usually had their families on board then ) we have been on hosted tables at other times but it's a custom which does seem to have been phased out in recent years, I know on Cunard the Captain/Deputy Captain do host on gala nights perhaps it is the same now on P&O.

You are right though at one time there was an abundance of officers around the restaurant but these days you rarely see one, we were lucky enough to have Captain Paul Brown hosting our table on a Caribbean Christmas cruise - he was but a mere 'navigator' then - goodness I'm going back a long time there it was on the old Sea Princess and probably around 91/92 - those were the days before the Carnival 'bean counters' came along :roll:

We are quite fancying an Around Britain cruise so I'll look forward to your review Lindsey, it sounds as if you really enjoyed it.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 29 Jun 2019, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

The very first cruise we did on Victoria, we had the ships doctor on our table , a young very good looking chap called Dirk Klopper, a South African. Each night the ladies were always trying to sit next to him. Being our first cruise.I thought this was normal but after almost 40 further cruises, never had an officer hosted table again.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 13:33
these days you rarely see one
The only time that I have seen an officer in the MDR is when they have family onboard - no hosted tables these days apart from the Peninsular Lunch. You do, however, quite often see them in the speciality restaurants - but hosting tables, unless you have paid an extortionate amount of money to do so.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We had an MI5/MI6 Commodore type Officer hosting our table of 8 for several days during a Somali pirate crisis on a Worldie leg, this however was in 2012.

He or his good lady would have had a very hefty drinks bill for that period but in spite of their obvious high flying status in life they were great company as well as hosts. :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The only reason I mentioned it was it was listed in an e mail from P and O as a special thing that would be happening for the last 5 cruises. So it was disappointed that most of these things never happened for us on first sitting.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Oh I would have found that so interesting Moby - lucky you :thumbup:

I've always found those who have 'the status in life' are usually great company - they are not trying to prove anything because they don't have to.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Whynd1 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 18:18
The only reason I mentioned it was it was listed in an e mail from P and O as a special thing that would be happening for the last 5 cruises. So it was disappointed that most of these things never happened for us on first sitting.

That is really disappointing if P&O didn't deliver what they promised Lindsey, Oriana has had such a loyal following so you would think Carnival would make the last few cruises memorable.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 18:26

That is really disappointing if P&O didn't deliver what they promised Lindsey, Oriana has had such a loyal following so you would think Carnival would make the last few cruises memorable.
I thought the same, DQ - I thought perhaps P&O were trying to revive a few of the little extras that a lot of the Oriana regulars would have enjoyed years ago. I doubt it would work for us as we are going to be on freedom dining so would miss out anyway.

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

So it was disappointed that most of these things never happened for us on first sitting.
If I remember correctly when officers did host tables it was usually on second sitting.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

david63 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 21:35
So it was disappointed that most of these things never happened for us on first sitting.
If I remember correctly when officers did host tables it was usually on second sitting.

That seems to make sense, David, because we always had 2nd sitting dinner when we first started cruising.

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Dancing Queen wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 18:19
Oh I would have found that so interesting Moby - lucky you :thumbup:

I've always found those who have 'the status in life' are usually great company - they are not trying to prove anything because they don't have to.
Exactly … just like you and I :wave:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Exactly … just like you and I :wave:
I wasn't thinking of me - but now you mention it :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 30 Jun 2019, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.
Jo

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I've messed up with the 'quote' facility again - I wish I could get this right !!
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Dancing Queen wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:42
I've messed up with the 'quote' facility again - I wish I could get this right !!
It looks alright to me ;)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks for the edit Moby :clap: :wave:
Jo

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2019”