Cash less shopping

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Cash less shopping

Post by gfwgfw »

A major outlet in my local high street will no longer take cash for their wares. :?
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cash less shopping

Post by barney »

It will come I'm afraid.

We do about 90% of transactions by card (Worldpay charge us btw) not through our choice but dictated by the customer.

I'm old school.
I lke reddies.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I do think cashless shopping has its place, especially with retail outlets that are prone to robbery, like petrol stations and forecourt shops, and I have no objection to shops preferring card payments, just as long as they still maintain a cash option for those who dislike cards.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Handling cash is expensive and time consuming, because too many of the Banks have closed their doors, for many of the retailers so it is hardly surprising that debit card transactions are their preferred option.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

So how do the elderly who are housebound cope without cash? Just how many older people have on line banking. I know lots that dont as they are unable to cope with tbe system.

Also elderly people like to hand a pound or two to grandchildren when they visit. Not even elderly but younger people too!

Topic author
gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

There are many folks down yer in rural Darzet which are sans Credit/Debit cards for various reasons.

In fact my neighbour cannot now top up her Smartphone as the local Vodafone shop is a cashless business, fortunately I can help her by using the online Vodafone top up facility

Topic author
gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Finker wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 17:55
So how do the elderly who are housebound cope without cash? Just how many older people have on line banking. I know lots that dont as they are unable to cope with tbe system.

Also elderly people like to hand a pound or two to grandchildren when they visit. Not even elderly but younger people too!
. . . . plus the many with poor credit ratings :cry:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I rarely use cash I find it so much easier to just use a card, I do of course always carry some for things like car parking ( although many of them now will take cards ) or very small purchases and dare I say 'tipping' people like hairdresser/restaurant staff etc.
Jo

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Thinking of parking I am getting worried about the spread of parking apps that now handle parking fees. Although I do have a smart phone its PAYG so I certainly don't want to be spending my holiday text message money on using expensive data time to pay for parking, so lets keep plenty of.cash parking meters please.
John

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

I guess it’s legal for instantaneous transactions but not for things like paying for a meal. I must admit that I ‘ping’ quite a lot of transactions and am becoming less adept at spotting if I have been given the correct change.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 18:24
Thinking of parking I am getting worried about the spread of parking apps that now handle parking fees. Although I do have a smart phone its PAYG so I certainly don't want to be spending my holiday text message money on using expensive data time to pay for parking, so lets keep plenty of.cash parking meters please.
Yes I'm with you on that. Faff about with a phone for 10 mins or stick a few coins in a slot. No contest.

Generally I'm becoming more cash free. My one gripe is you often have to ask for the receipt, or are asked if you want one and are then looked at as if you're mad if you say yes. When I come to checking my statement each month I'll probably remember if I spent £400 on a new telly. I may forget the odd coffee so I need the record.

Mind you I suspect many don't bother to check or keep track of their money, which makes life so much easier for fraudsters.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

How beneficial is no cash to the supplier when the value of the transaction costs less than the transaction processing charge? For example, just buying a bar of chocolate, or a cup of coffee. Can understand that there will no longer be bank charges for processing cash and no need to take the cash to a bank, which for some could be quite a distance.

May be old school, but it doesn't feel right paying for something with a card when the cost is under £5, and as Mervyn states why would you not have a receipt? Just our thoughts.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We accept payment in whatever form our customers want to pay in.
I go to the bank weekly to pay in the cash.
No big deal as I do other things while in town.
Sure they charge but so do the card company.
Nothing is free and it's built in to the margins.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We use cash but never the copper coins, these go into a ' Ginger Jar '. When full we used to donate said proceeds to a favoured Hospice but the nearest one hereabouts is a round trip of approx 40 miles. We take them to a local shop instead and they are most grateful because they have to travel approx 30 milers round trip to get to one of their own Bank's Branches and even this doesn't open every day nor any hours outside of 9 to 5.

Having to use a card for a morning paper and half a dozen eggs will result in the closure of yet more rural businesses and especially those with a poor Broadband signal.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I suspect that in time there will be cheaper, or even free, methods of processing payments for retailers and those who adopt/adapt will survive, possibly even flourish.

As an example Tesco have "Pay+" which is an app on your smartphone which is linked to your debit card. When you want to make a payment you simply scan the QR code on your phone and payment is taken. Now I don't know the details of how this works, but what I do know is that Tesco give you extra points for using this method which leads me to believe that it costs less to process payments this way than by using a debit card machine.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Last week we bought a new car (not quite sure how it happened as we only went to the garage to book the next service !!!). We will be collecting it Wednesday but first the garage wanted a £500 deposit so we handed over the credit card which they happily accepted. However, the rest of the deposit which needed to be paid before we collect the car was over £4000 and the dealership didn't want to accept a credit card for that amount as it costs them money and they wanted a bank transfer. So off we trotted to a BS where we keep a savings account but as we intended using the money from a savings account and not a current account the BS would charge us £20 to do a bank transfer. Absolutely no way were we prepared to pay that so asked for a cheque for the amount we wanted and then trotted a few doors along the road to the bank where we keep our current account, paid the cheque in and then asked for a bank transfer to be made to the car dealership at no extra cost.

What a performance but, because we live in a town with various banks/building societies, it wasn't a huge problem to us. although because I won't do finance on the computer it does mean some leg work for us but how do elderly people cope who live in small villages and who won't use the internet for banking like us.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I bought a new car in 2015, and I remember that I paid the deposit by credit card, and when I picked the car up, I paid the balance by debit card. As I use Internet banking, I was able to transfer money online, so the funds were in the right place at the right time.

These days, I have about £10 in cash in my purse, but use cards for nearly all transactions,

In the next few months, the banks will be bringing in extra layers of security, and for certain transactions they'll be sending a one time code to your mobile - you will then need to enter the code on your screen, or on the point of sale device if you are out shopping.

It's good that banking is being made more secure, but makes it awkward if you don't have a mobile.

I don't have any children, so I don't have a handy young person to help me out with techie things. At the moment I'm just about managing to keep up, but there'll come a point where I think it will all get beyond me. It must be very difficult for the very elderly who just want to do the simple, face to face banking that they've always done.

ETA
These days I write one cheque a year, for my burglar alarm servicing. For other 'tradesman' type bills, I ask for their bank details, and send them a payment via Internet banking
Last edited by Gill W on 14 Jul 2019, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

For a business it costs money to pay in or withdraw cash. For the banks moving cash is an expensive affair with all the associated security.

This is one reason why some retailers are so keen to offer cashback since it reduces the bank charges.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Just out of interest, which retailer has stopped accepting cash in rural Dorset? ( cryptic answers acceptable).
We too use the Tesco app to pay.
I always felt strongly that credit cards should not be allowed to purchase drinks in pubs ( to stop irresponsible drinking & running up problematic debts) but I now ping when I buy a round ( rare occurrence!)
We did, many moons ago buy a car on credit card- I was really surprised when the garage accepted the payment. The salesman said they had a flat rate for all transactions. We got points & used them for a bike for our son’s Christmas (cheapskates?). We still use the same garage but they require bank transfer via your phone app to pay for a car.
The best use though is on the underground where you ping in and out using a credit or debit card and you are guaranteed the best price ( including an op cap of £12 per day). An excellent service considering the cost of public transport in NE England & NE Scotland where we mostly use public transport .

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ranchi wrote: 18 Jul 2019, 09:04
Just out of interest, which retailer has stopped accepting cash in rural Dorset? ( cryptic answers acceptable).
We too use the Tesco app to pay.
I always felt strongly that credit cards should not be allowed to purchase drinks in pubs ( to stop irresponsible drinking & running up problematic debts) but I now ping when I buy a round ( rare occurrence!)
We did, many moons ago buy a car on credit card- I was really surprised when the garage accepted the payment. The salesman said they had a flat rate for all transactions. We got points & used them for a bike for our son’s Christmas (cheapskates?). We still use the same garage but they require bank transfer via your phone app to pay for a car.
The best use though is on the underground where you ping in and out using a credit or debit card and you are guaranteed the best price ( including an op cap of £12 per day). An excellent service considering the cost of public transport in NE England & NE Scotland where we mostly use public transport .
Yes that's a great development on the old Oyster Card, offering the same prices. We used to use a Visitor Oyster Card which we had to remember to keep topping up.

On credit cards I think the biggest thing we pay for normally is cruises, which gives us cashback, equivalent to a further discount on the cruise.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

towny44 wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 18:24
It's now arrived in Huddersfield, the major multi storey council car park has had new meters installed 6 out of 7 don't take cash, fortunately they will take cards as well as phone apps,. But those with neither now have to wander round trying to find the elusive 7th meter!
John

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-48409860

We have the opposite problem John, where the beach car park does NOT take cards.
Folk arrive with no cash assuming they can pay by card.
When they realise that it cash only, they wander off to find some, only to find that they have been nicked because you only get 10 minutes form entering to but your ticket.

The owners of the land sub contract out to a very authoritarian company who are immensely unpopular both with locals and tourists.

Quite often, a pressure group stand at the entrance, warning tourists and offering change.

There is also a Crab shack just inside the entrance who have to warn their customers not to park outside the roped area or they will be nicked without even entering the carpark.

All highly undesirable in such a pretty and welcoming place.

EDIT > don't come down. you won't like it ;)

EDIT EDIT > check TripAdvisor 'terrible' reviews for opinions on the car park
Last edited by barney on 24 Jul 2019, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”