New P&O website

Topics that are specific to cruising

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: New P&O website

Post by Whynd1 »

I've been using the link for the old web site to look up cruises. Much better.
Thanks for posting the link.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:27

I find it very difficult to see a list of suitable cruises.
You can’t select individual months, only an inclusive range.
You can’t specify cabin types for the displayed prices.
There is too much white space and very little information on the screen.
You can’t get a summary list of available cruise from your selection filter.

There are also a lot of faulty links.
I can do all that Bob on the new site, it does take time to load pages but does eventually give you the data.
I can select one or a number of months.
Cabin and area selection could be better, all cabins come up as guarantee first, you have to press change cabin to:- first select one of 5 locations, Aft, mid aft, mid, fwdmid , or Fwd.
After selecting area you are given a cabin, selected by the computer and a list of all cabins in that location, pity they have not followed the Princess system which shows the available cabins, but you can select one to check if its available.
I can get a full list of cruises from the filters, it creates these as you add filters so its complete for you to scroll down to after the last filter.
Not sure about the white space, I have used both laptop and tablet and they are very similar displays.
Don't know about faulty links but I agree it is unstable and using a touchscreen can be problematic.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

I am unable to load anything on my Apple i pad. That goes for the awful Cunard site too.

The lady at Cunard is as frustrated as everyone else so why P @ O havent learnt from all the complaints is odd.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:42

I can do all that Bob on the new site, it does take time to load pages but does eventually give you the data.
Cabin and area selection could be better, all cabins come up as guarantee first, you have to press change cabin to:- first select one of 5 locations, Aft, mid aft, mid, fwdmid , or Fwd.
After selecting area you are given a cabin, selected by the computer and a list of all cabins in that location, pity they have not followed the Princess system which shows the available cabins, but you can select one to check if its available.
I can get a full list of cruises from the filters, it creates these as you add filters so its complete for you to scroll down to after the last filter.
Not sure about the white space, I have used both laptop and tablet and they are very similar displays.
Don't know about faulty links but I agree it is unstable and using a touchscreen can be problematic.
I agree John. Maybe it is down to the browser but like you I can do all the things Bob can't. I see no major difference in white space but many web designers agree that white space can aid clarity and is preferable to closely packed text. As for faulty links the old site has its share of those too.

Finker wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 10:14

I am unable to load anything on my Apple i pad. That goes for the awful Cunard site too.
Well they're the same basic structure so that figures. But both load fine on Trish's iPad.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Cruise personaliser is down this morning, saying you do not have permission to access this site on your server. Tried different servers same story.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well that's not new! Pain in the butt but been a regular feature of all of the recent iterations of the website

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Someone on Facebook has rung through to P and O and they are aware of the issue. It's their problem apparently.

Surprise,surprise.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes I'm sure it is. But probably nothing to do with the new website. It's a regular occurrence.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Pee&O and technology just don't go together. But luckily the school holidays are here so no doubt they'll be exploiting some young thing to sort it all out.
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Jul 2019, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 11:57
towny44 wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:42

I agree John. Maybe it is down to the browser but like you I can do all the things Bob can't. I see no major difference in white space but many web designers agree that white space can aid clarity and is preferable to closely packed text. As for faulty links the old site has its share of those too.

Finker wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 10:14

Well they're the same basic structure so that figures. But both load fine on Trish's iPad.
Fair enough M&T
When you say that you can select months, can you select, for example, May and September individually? Al that I can do is select May to September inclusive I.e. May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep. I can choose individual months on the original site.

On the original I can choose to display prices for balcony cabins. On the new site it only gives me inside cabins.

I would be interested in the reasons for the difference as it may be due to different browsers and webscripts.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Cruise personaliser was back and accessible yesterday.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes QB. I can select months individually. I'm using Edge on Windows 10 on a Dell PC if that helps in any way. Curiously when P&O and Cunard rolled out the updated data protection stuff on its old website i had trouble with that on Edge but it worked fine on Firefox.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I can access the website this morning but not the Cruise Personaliser. Can anyone else?

Carole

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Ian Perth »

Cruise Personaliser not working for me this morning either 😟

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think the whole site has problems, I can only get so far into a dummy booking then it freezes, and I cannot access via already booked or my details either.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Cruise Personaliser working for me just now.

As most of you will be aware I have been critical of P&O/Carnival's IT systems in the past but I think that we overlook the total size and complexity of the operation. The passenger facing systems are but a small part, and I can accept that for the passenger this is the most important part. But this system is based around Carnival's booking system and is based in the States. The Booking system then feeds into the Cruise Personaliser, which in turn feeds into the check-in system and all of the on-board passenger systems.

As for the "front facing" booking system this has, I suspect, fallen foul of the desire to appease every type of device which in today's world is an almost impossible task - especially if it is being done from across the pond as, unbelievable as it sounds, they are quite blinkered in their approach and attitude (if it aint Microsoft or Apple then it does not exist!)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 08:15
Yes QB. I can select months individually. I'm using Edge on Windows 10 on a Dell PC if that helps in any way. Curiously when P&O and Cunard rolled out the updated data protection stuff on its old website i had trouble with that on Edge but it worked fine on Firefox.
Thanks, I’ll try that combination. There obviously seems to be different experience with different browsers and possibly different scrip settings.

I’m in the middle of producing our own website so this sort of thing interests me, believe it or not.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 12:16
I’m in the middle of producing our own website so this sort of thing interests me, believe it or not.
There are plenty of online tutorials on how to make a website responsive, but they are not for the faint hearted!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Thanks, I’ll try that combination. There obviously seems to be different experience with different browsers and possibly different scrip settings.

I cannot choose separate months either, if I select for example Jan and Apr, then all 4 months are highlighted.
John

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Managed to access my Cruise Personaliser after lunch. I wanted to book some excursions - it took ages but eventually managed it - I think! Have an email saying 'all booked' so hopefully it's ok.

This probably isn't the place but does anyone have any information about either St. John's, Newfoundland or Saint John, New Brunswick? I am more mobile than I used to be but if somewhere is a long walk from the ship it does mean my ankle starts to hurt once I've arrived. How accessible are these two places and do we need to do a tour? John will walk for miles but I can't unfortunately.

Carole

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 14:47
Saint John, New Brunswick
If the ship docks in the same place as last year then it is about 15/20 minute walk from the ship to the centre of the town. A pretty little place that you can spend an hour or so walking round. We did the little train that took us round the town centre pointing out the main places of interest and then on to the Reversing Fall (which did not reverse!!) and then back to the town.

If you like lobster then Billy's Seafood Restaurant (next to the Market Hall) can be highly recommended for lunch

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

CaroleF wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 14:47
Managed to access my Cruise Personaliser after lunch. I wanted to book some excursions - it took ages but eventually managed it - I think! Have an email saying 'all booked' so hopefully it's ok.

This probably isn't the place but does anyone have any information about either St. John's, Newfoundland or Saint John, New Brunswick? I am more mobile than I used to be but if somewhere is a long walk from the ship it does mean my ankle starts to hurt once I've arrived. How accessible are these two places and do we need to do a tour? John will walk for miles but I can't unfortunately.

Carole
St. John's NF
The ship docks right in the town but it is a mile or two walk to any of the features of interest. There are plenty of local taxis or tour operators willing to take your money off you.

St John NB
Again the ship normall docks in town and there are is a shopping mall close by. There is usually a small market with local tradesmen in what passes as a 'cruise terminal. For sights such as the reversing falls then a tour or local trip wold be necessary. It was tipping down with rain when we were there.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 16:47
It was tipping down with rain when we were there.
Cracking the flags when we were there :D :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 13:11

I cannot choose separate months either, if I select for example Jan and Apr, then all 4 months are highlighted.
Ah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I can select January. Or April. I've never tried selecting both and expecting to get a list of just those two months. I've only ever wanted one month or a range. If I wanted a cruise in April or one in January' I've always done that as two separate searches.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Jul 2019, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The selecting of months is probably by design. It is very difficult to do a search on more than one unconnected date.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”