Oriana's last P&O cruise X913

Cruises on Oriana in 2019

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Oriana's last P&O cruise X913

Post by Kenmo1 »

Weather for Longyearbyen for the day we call in is showing as 3 degrees on Accu weather so a medium sized case packed with coats/hats/gloves/thick socks etc. Hope we won't need most of it but better safe than sorry. Will sort normal clothes next weekend.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I think if there was anything to have tempted me back to P&O it would have been Oriana's 'final' cruise as we have some lovely memories of our cruises on her - for us Oriana and Aurora are definitely the 'jewel' in P&O's crown :thumbup:

Wishing everyone on the last cruise a fabulous time and I hope P&O make it very special for you.

Maureen - fingers crossed for you in Longyearbyen, when we were there the weather forecast was dire but it turned into a very pleasant day.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 10 Jul 2019, 16:34, edited 2 times in total.
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 16:29
Maureen - fingers crossed for you in Longyearbyen, when we were there the weather forecast was dire but it turned into a very pleasant day.
Cheers, DQ. Good to see you back on here more often.

Maureen x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Kenmo1 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 17:58
Dancing Queen wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 16:29
Cheers, DQ. Good to see you back on here more often.

Maureen x
Thank you, I love the forum and do read a lot but we no longer sail with P&O so I don't have a lot to contribute on that front.
Jo

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I see for the three night cruise this weekend that Oriana has some technical problems and is not now leaving until Saturday lunchtime.
If it's the prop it was absolutely awful when we were on so bad in fact that one night a lot of the tables had the most awful shakes.
Hope all is repaired for the final cruise.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 17:54

So do I, Lindsey, so do I.

Maureen.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

That prop! Strange that there have been many scapegoats for the vibration. I remember one captain giving chapter & verse on it being something to do with the switch over from father to son motors.
Whatever the cause it won’t be P&O’s problem for much longer.
I remember seeing a tv prog or video about the construction and commissioning of Oriana soon after she had come into service. She returned to Germany for remedial work. The video showed lots of bespectacled and hard hatred engineers poring over screens showing lots of oscilloscopes etc. There was much pointing and nodding and then the camera panned out and an engineer with a truly massive sledge hammer came into view. The leading engineer pointed to a spot on the errant propellor and engineer i/c hammer took a massive swing at the offending propellor blade. I just thought it was really funny the High & Low tech coming together like that.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sounds just like the floating bridge ferry between West and East Cowes - fairly new, looks good but out of action most of the time.

silver surfer 2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by silver surfer 2010 »

Whynd1 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 17:54
I see for the three night cruise this weekend that Oriana has some technical problems and is not now leaving until Saturday lunchtime.
If it's the prop it was absolutely awful when we were on so bad in fact that one night a lot of the tables had the most awful shakes.

Lindsey
She is on the move so looks as though everything is sorted, due to arrive in Guernsey early evening, looking forward to meeting everyone in Andersons on Tuesday at 10-00 am

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hope you all have a lovely last cruise on Oriana.
Bon voyage.

Lindsey

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks Lindsey. Just about organised now as I have also had to sort clothes for a coach trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo 2 days after our return from the cruise. I will think of all of you enjoying the lovely weather due to come to the UK while we look as if we are going to have temperatures between 2 and 5 degrees in Longyearbyen. I'm just hoping we see some whales.

Maureen

silver surfer 2010
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by silver surfer 2010 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 20:46
Thanks Lindsey. Just about organised now as I have also had to sort clothes for a coach trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo 2 days after our return from the cruise. I will think of all of you enjoying the lovely weather due to come to the UK while we look as if we are going to have temperatures between 2 and 5 degrees in Longyearbyen. I'm just hoping we see some whales.

Maureen
What about Polar Bears as well!
As far as the Tattoo is concerned just use the same clothes that you use for Longyearbyen and you can't go far wrong

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

silver surfer 2010 wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 22:37
What about Polar Bears as well!
It is possible. Some years ago when we went up to Ny Alesund there was a photo in the local post office/shop window of a polar bear which had been caught on camera the week before our arrival sniffing around outside the shop in the early hours of the morning. There was also that awful tragedy a few years ago about 30 miles from Longyearbyen involving a polar bear. I think the whales will be enough for me.

Maureen.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Kenmo1 wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 20:46

Maureen
Hope you all have an amazing time - I remember well visiting Spitsbergen in July on Arcadia and yes it was cold and the ground was covered in snow. We were protected by guides with rifles but didn't actually see any polar bears !!!

One couple were doing a back to back - the following cruise was to the Med and they were definitely not dressed for the Arctic - don't think they had done much research on where they were going :crazy:
Janis

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Yes, hope you have a lovely time.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I was rather hoping there would be some feedback on Oriana's final cruise ( anything taking place etc ) but I suppose there is still time and as we all know the ships Internet isn't that reliable.

I even looked to see if Crows Nest were reporting back as I know they are predominantly P&O but I can't even find their forum ?? does anyone know if it is 'out of action' again it did seem to get hacked a lot.
Jo

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Dancing Queen wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 16:46
I was rather hoping there would be some feedback on Oriana's final cruise ( anything taking place etc ) but I suppose there is still time and as we all know the ships Internet isn't that reliable.

I even looked to see if Crows Nest were reporting back as I know they are predominantly P&O but I can't even find their forum ?? does anyone know if it is 'out of action' again it did seem to get hacked a lot.
Unfortunately Crows Nest closed down a few months ago. It does continue on Face Ache apparently but as I don't use it I can't give you any details.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks Maureen I didn't know that, I don't use FB but I do read a few groups but I haven't seen one for CN.
Jo

Return to “Oriana Cruises 2019”