Oceana - no tipping - how did it go?

Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Oceana - no tipping - how did it go?

Post by Kendhni »

We are just back from our Med cruise on Oceana (I will post a review when I get a chance). However, ...

This was the first cruise we have done under P&Os new 'no tipping required' policy. I had 2 concerns
1. once we got onboard they would start dropping hints and trying to get people to pay tips
2. the service would not be as good

Both concerns were totally unfounded.

At no point did I feel any member of staff (wait, cabin, entertainment or crew) was touting for tips.

As far as service is concerned, our cabin steward (Wilson) did an excellent job maintaining our cabin and the bar staff (especially Namij and Jane in the Plaza) were brilliant. I thought the deck service and dining room service was just as good as it ever has been.

it was just another fantastic cruise from P&O. Next stop Caribbean.

Ian Perth
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Oceana - no tipping - how did it go?

Post by Ian Perth »

Spot on, been twice since this change and found the same, have always found the staff in all areas to be kind and thoughtful and willing to help with any requests.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I would like to think that now that there is a no tipping policy that service standards would increase in the hope (expectation) of receiving an additional tip.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

All good on our recent cruise as well with no tipping. But as an aside I couldn't understand why bowls of fruit for our grade cabin were not handed out until half way through the cruise. Who on earth is going to eat that amount of fruit in two or three days!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

On our Arcadia cruise last week we saw plenty of passengers giving the envelopes to the waiters at the end of the cruise.
We had excellent service from both the waiters and our cabin steward on this cruise.

Lindsey

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Can confirm that on our Aurora cruise in August that there were plenty of envelopes being passed over in the MDR (fixed) on the final evening. It did cause some consternation as some hadn’t brought any cash to final dinner. It was resolved by a short term loan between table mates. I welcome this being aired as our fellow diners (regular cruisers) were quite upset at the thought of ‘not doing the right thing.’
Apparently piles of envelopes had been placed on the desk at reception during the final couple of days of the cruise.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We have always tipped the suggested amount, usually rounded up, during the old era of envelopes and then auto tips on accounts.

Everything we've seen from P&O now indicates tips of any kind are no longer expected nor required so we won't be sucked in to adding extra.

Otherwise we'll be off on the same merry-go-round as before.

My assumption is that, having removed the need to tip, salaries and performance bonuses paid by the company based on feedback forms have been increased so crew don't lose out.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Oh, have no problem with that at all, Merv. I commented above because two mature ladies on our table who have sailed many times before with P&O ( but not since April ‘19) were quite upset at the prospect of having to leave the dining room without tipping their waiters.
It was all sorted in the end but I felt their discomfort during the final meal could have been avoided.
Last edited by Ranchi on 22 Sep 2019, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

It was obvious that this was going to happen.

We have booked a very short trip on Ventura with the whole family for my husband’s 70th next year, 10 of us - on freedom dining. We have decided that we will not tip, and as most of our family have not cruised before, they won’t even think of doing it!
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Just back from Azura.

I found the service as good as ever.

On the second from last night in Freedom dining I noticed a couple with a large pile of envelopes, giving them out to various waiters. I also noticed on the last morning, someone gave our cabin steward an envelope.

Personally, I've taken P&O at their word - tipping is no longer required or expected, so I'm not tipping.

I suspect some people are so used to handing out the envelopes (even though auto tips have been a feature for several years), they feel awkward if they don't do it.

I'm not going to be 'guilt-tripped' into it, even if others choose to carry on tipping.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 14:57
I've taken P&O at their word - tipping is no longer required or expected, so I'm not tipping.
I think that is the correct approach but with the proviso that if I get some exceptional service from someone then they will be suitably rewarded.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Left a tip for our cabin Steward on Oceana, he deserved it.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

Just back from Azura.

I found the service as good as ever.

On the second from last night in Freedom dining I noticed a couple with a large pile of envelopes, giving them out to various waiters. I also noticed on the last morning, someone gave our cabin steward an envelope.

Personally, I've taken P&O at their word - tipping is no longer required or expected, so I'm not tipping.

I suspect some people are so used to handing out the envelopes (even though auto tips have been a feature for several years), they feel awkward if they don't do it.

I'm not going to be 'guilt-tripped' into it, even if others choose to carry on tipping.
totally agree I will not be extra tipping either. I am glad that all this is now over.
regards gilly.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

allatc wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 09:21
I suspect any tips given in cash will still have to be pooled as in the past. The best way to ensure personal reward is to mark the satisfaction questionnaire accordingly, which I believe influences the distribution of performance related pay by the company.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 12:47
allatc wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 09:21
I suspect any tips given in cash will still have to be pooled as in the past. The best way to ensure personal reward is to mark the satisfaction questionnaire accordingly, which I believe influences the distribution of performance related pay by the company.
Agree with you about the satisfaction survey and personal merit cards.
However I am pretty sure that I had read somewhere that in the new 'tips not required' world that pooling was no longer done and the staff got to keep any tips handed directly to them.

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

david63 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 06:27
I've taken P&O at their word - tipping is no longer required or expected, so I'm not tipping.
I think that is the correct approach but with the proviso that if I get some exceptional service from someone then they will be suitably rewarded.
Just wondered what you consider 'exceptional service' would be?
I've seen this sort of remark on other forums and cannot for the life of me imagine my waiters or room steward doing anything exceptional in the course of serving my food or making up my room.
Maybe performing the Heimlich manoeuvre if I was choking?

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

No sight of any customer satisfaction survey cards on Aurora in August. We assumed that we would get an electronic one when we got home. We didn’t.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Midlandslass wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 13:45
david63 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 06:27
Just wondered what you consider 'exceptional service' would be?
I've seen this sort of remark on other forums and cannot for the life of me imagine my waiters or room steward doing anything exceptional in the course of serving my food or making up my room.
Maybe performing the Heimlich manoeuvre if I was choking?

:lol:

Return to “About Oceana”