Passport renewal

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Passport renewal

Post by Whynd1 »

The time had come for me to renew my passport.
I debated which method to use and although the most expensive ,decided for me to use the new imaging renewal at the post office would be the best. Less likelihood of anything going wrong. Went first thing last Friday and have just received my new passport via a courier.
Excellent service. Still maroon is colour but no European union wording on the front cover.

Aurora here I come.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Passport renewal

Post by barney »

Brilliant service, isn't it Lindsey :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

On reading the latest Brexit info about passports, I note that for those of us who gained an extension, when we last renewed, we will lose the extra and need to count 10 years from the start date to calculate if we have 6 months validity left after our holiday ends. I hope I remember that when ours next need renewing.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I used the online website last year. It took me several goes to get a photograph they would accept but otherwise very quick and easy.
It was upsetting when one of the responses back suggested I was not facing the camera - I must have looked like cousin it.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

I did mine last year and it took about a week. Had the photo rejected a couple of times but otherwise went well. My wife has just had hers renewed and it took four weeks. The photo was rejected several times and kept trying using my iphone and my digital camera. Eventually gave up and went to Max Spielmann who guaranteed the photo would pass but the first one they took failed. The second one was accepted.
It seems that they are more restrictive on the photos.
Brian

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It was the photo issue that made me go to the post office. They took 2 and I could decide which one I liked. As a glassesxwearer I had to pop them back on to look at the photo.
Lol.
!!!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Cannot understand why some organisations require you to remove your glasses, surely if you normally wear them, then this what your passport, bus pass etc should show.
John

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Tony

When we were in St Petersburg a few weeks ago, when going through immigration ,the Russian official asked me to remove my glasses.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Glasses have had to be removed for passports ever since I can remember so I suspect that by changing glasses (which most do over a period of 10 years) it would make it more difficult to check one's identity - however that has never been a problem with hairstyle.

I would also hazard a guess that with today's technology of auto recognition that glasses would confuse things.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

On my passport photo I am wearing glasses, although my wife is not on hers, and we both wear them all the time, strange that.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 23:12
On my passport photo I am wearing glasses, although my wife is not on hers, and we both wear them all the time, strange that.
Just wait until she next tries to get back in the country :lol: :lol: :lol: - or is that part of the plan? :wave: :wave:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 07:43
towny44 wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 23:12
Just wait until she next tries to get back in the country :lol: :lol: :lol: - or is that part of the plan? :wave: :wave:
TBH David the photos printed on the new passports are so faint and obscured by some sort of "watermark", that its hard to recognise details, probably any man with a receding hairline could use my passport to gain entry to the UK, or anywhere except maybe Russia.
John

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

When we last came through Immigration at Gatwick and went through that automatic machine thing where you put your passport open down on the machine John had to remove his glasses before he was allowed to go through but I went through with my glasses on?

Carole

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mobietta ( pre cataract ops ) went through that loop and had to take her glasses off but couldn't then read the instructions … so off to the naughty girl desk for processing :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Both myself and my husband wear glasses, and up until recently we've always worn our glasses for passport photos. I last renewed in 2016, and I'm wearing my glasses in my current passport photo. I think the criteria is that you have no reflection on the glasses, especially over the eyes, and the glasses frame doesn't cover the eyes.

However, my husband renewed his passport in 2017, and was told that he had to take his glasses off.

I've often had trouble with the automatic gates, but my husband has never had a problem, even on his old passport when he had glasses on in the photo. I've always put it down to operator error (I,e, me being cack handed)
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I think with the automatic gates the quality of the actual printed photo is irrelevant. The required biometric info is stored and retrieved digitally. The camera at the gate has to be able to clearly see the face, especially the eyes, to make a comparison, which is why it sometimes asks for glasses to be removed. But I can't explain the inconsistencies in the requirement for glasses on or off in the photo itself.

Mr Dixon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mr Dixon »

I posted a renewal request on Saturday using the Post Office cubicle to obtain an electronic photo with a code that accompanied the completed online form. I received updated emails of the acceptance and receipt of my old passport and completion and notice the new passport was on it's way to me in 5 days total. Excellent service from HM Passport Office, credit where it is due.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

:thumbup: What great service Mr Dixon

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

My old one arrived back about a week after renewal.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

After hearing of some folks difficulties, decided to cut out any potential hassle and so popped into Max Speelmans for their online service. Excellent service, we just sat and chatted whilst he confirmed the photos were acceptable and then he proceeded to complete on line all the documents. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We used them and so did our daughter. Excellent service.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Ray Scully wrote: 24 May 2022, 12:06
After hearing of some folks difficulties, decided to cut out any potential hassle and so popped into Max Speelmans for their online service. Excellent service, we just sat and chatted whilst he confirmed the photos were acceptable and then he proceeded to complete on line all the documents. Would not hesitate to recommend.
Mrs B renewed hers through the Post Office and it was brilliant.
The chap who dealt with her knew exactly what he was doing but did warn it could take up to ten weeks.
Her new passport arrived in less than three.
Couldn’t fault it.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I did mine online including photos. They were the trickiest bit reducing them to right size but after a bit of adjustment they were right for submission. Got my passport back within the week. Great service.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”