The "Arcadia cough"

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

The "Arcadia cough"

Post by kaymar »

Having returned from the last two or three of our most recent cruises with chest infections and a cough which lasted for weeks, we decided that possibly cruising just wasn't worth it and haven't cruised since 2016.

Maybe, as they say, time is a great healer and we have booked J003 to the Med in April, followed by an Oceana cruise later next year. We have always had a balcony cabin and opened the door as often as possible to try to counteract the drying effect of the air conditioning, which is usually blamed for such problems, but to no avail.

Wet towels and boiling kettles have been offered as solutions but if anyone has good experience of any other proven remedies, we would be delighted to hear about them.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The "Arcadia cough"

Post by Kenmo1 »

There was a lady on our dining table on Aurora who coughed continually and my husband came back with the worst cough I have ever known him have. The only cough medicine in the ship's shop was Calpol :shock: on an adult only ship. When we got home nothing much seemed to work and we both were losing sleep through him cough, cough, cough. Someone suggested a tot of whisky, juice from half a lemon and a big dollop of honey mixed together with hot water before bed. It won't stop you catching the cough but, my goodness, it seemed to help the chesty cough 'break up' and for him to get some sleep. He is much better now and we are both much better tempered now that we are getting a good night's sleep :D So far, I have avoided catching his cough, fingers crossed.

We have decided in future to always have freedom dining so that we are not sat with someone for 18 nights who has a cough and cold - at least that way we can avoid them.

Good luck with both of your holidays.

Maureen

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My theory is the aircon.
The first thing I do is turn it to minimum and have never had a problem.
Have been known to wedge the door open at night as well.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Honey, lemon juice and hot water was recommended to me by the cardio nurse when everything else failed. It worked.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Place a bowl of water in your cabin to offset the Air-con ….. et voila :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Kenmo1 wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 21:10
There was a lady on our dining table on Aurora who coughed continually and my husband came back with the worst cough I have ever known him have. The only cough medicine in the ship's shop was Calpol :shock: on an adult only ship. When we got home nothing much seemed to work and we both were losing sleep through him cough, cough, cough. Someone suggested a tot of whisky, juice from half a lemon and a big dollop of honey mixed together with hot water before bed. It won't stop you catching the cough but, my goodness, it seemed to help the chesty cough 'break up' and for him to get some sleep. He is much better now and we are both much better tempered now that we are getting a good night's sleep :D So far, I have avoided catching his cough, fingers crossed.

We have decided in future to always have freedom dining so that we are not sat with someone for 18 nights who has a cough and cold - at least that way we can avoid them.

Good luck with both of your holidays.

Maureen
Thank you, Maureen. We cruise with friends and invariably have a table for four but germs spread around, don't they, in enclosed areas, helped by the re-circulated air. Glad your husband is feeling better, though

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

barney wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 07:59
My theory is the aircon.
Yes, I tend to agree with your theory, barney, and I just wish it was possible to turn off the aircon all together. We are unlikely to need it in the Med in April or October. Turning it down doesn't seem to help and we, too, have resorted to leaving the door open at night. Yes, I know they say it disrupts the balance of the aircon but hey-ho. Trouble is, I still get a cough.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We came back off Azura 3 weeks ago, I got the cold and cough of all colds and coughs the cough has just about gone now.Maybe we should stay in the garden but where’s the fun in that.😝
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 07:59
My theory is the aircon.
Same here.

I always have the balcony door open a bit during the day, weather permitting, and nearly always at night. Can't stand air-con
Last edited by Stephen on 07 Nov 2019, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I agree the a/c dries the mucous membranes and makes us more susceptible to picking up any virus in the vicinity. The weird thing is that on land based holidays, we spend two weeks with full on a/c and have no problem at all.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

oldbluefox wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 08:11
Honey, lemon juice and hot water was recommended to me by the cardio nurse when everything else failed. It worked.
The tot of whisky in the mixture was the best bit, OBF :lol:

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whilst all cruise lines say that the air con cannot be turned off - it can, but you need an engineer with a spanner to do it.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I am happy that we have never had any problem with cabin aircon, except for one cruise where it was a bit noisy. We always adjust the thermostat to ensure the cabin is at a reasonable temp and are not affected by any drying of the air, but we do try to avoid having the balcony open when this is likely to lead to the cabin temp getting too hot.
Maybe we are just lucky, but I have a wee suspicion that maybe others are a bit too fussy.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

In general, unlike land-based aircon where you have control of an individual fan as well as temperature, on cruise ships they essentially suck air out of the corridor and bathrooms at a fixed rate. That in turn is replaced by air from the cabins and that by air coming through the ducts into the cabin.

Short of an engineer with a spanner to presumably adjust a baffle in the ducting, all you have control of is the mix of hot and cold air to get the temperature you want. It's the cold air that has the drying affect.

I suppose you could manage your own air flow by putting swimming towels across the bottom of both the cabin and bathroom doors!

But it's only rarely bothered us. I think the main factor is others bringing their germs aboard and being less than careful about spreading them in the closed environment.

The one occasion when Trish did get a chest infection on board and referred to the "Ventura cough" the rather sniffy on board doctor said "it's not the Ventura cough madam, it's the British cough!"

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

But presumably that was after you'd already got the cough was it, obf? I'm hoping to find a reliable way of preventing it.

I hope you're all still dry up there in Cockermouth after all these downpours.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 13:23
I am happy that we have never had any problem with cabin aircon, except for one cruise where it was a bit noisy. We always adjust the thermostat to ensure the cabin is at a reasonable temp and are not affected by any drying of the air, but we do try to avoid having the balcony open when this is likely to lead to the cabin temp getting too hot.
Maybe we are just lucky, but I have a wee suspicion that maybe others are a bit too fussy.

I wouldn't call getting a cough or chest infection regularly when cruising as being fussy John.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 16:32

I wouldn't call getting a cough or chest infection regularly when cruising as being fussy John.
You could have chosen the other option of unlucky, I did give you two to choose from so as not to tax your brains too much. :sarcasm: :clap:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 16:38
Stephen wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 16:32

You could have chosen the other option of unlucky, I did give you two to choose from so as not to tax your brains too much. :sarcasm: :clap:
Once is unlucky, twice or more then questions need to be asked in the house.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Kenmo1 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 12:53

Maureen
Don't spoil the whisky Maureen. The only thing you should put in whisky is another whisky!!! :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

kaymar wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 15:51
But presumably that was after you'd already got the cough was it, obf? I'm hoping to find a reliable way of preventing it.

I hope you're all still dry up there in Cockermouth after all these downpours.
Yes it was kaymar. I'd had it for the best part of a fortnight and couldn't shift it. I would agree about leaving the door open to let in some fresh air and just take the whisky!!!
It hasn't been too bad up these parts. I think the south have had it much worse than us, We had some lovely days last week and not too bad this week although today was wet.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 17:41
Kenmo1 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 12:53

Maureen
Don't spoil the whisky Maureen. The only thing you should put in whisky is another whisky!!! :lol:

:thumbup:

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 09:05
Place a bowl of water in your cabin to offset the Air-con ….. et voila :thumbup:
I have heard this, moby. Does it really work?

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

kaymar wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 10:11
I just place the ice bucket next to the bed at night.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

GillD46 wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 11:45
kaymar wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 10:11
I just place the ice bucket next to the bed at night.
We all like a drink Gill.......but :D

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I have asthma and I have never had a cruise where I haven’t succumbed to a cough. I always joked with my husband that I coughed my way around the world. Unfortunately I always ended up with chest infections and spent a lot of time in the medical centre on a nebuliser. At home I don’t even notice my asthma or ever get chest infections. On the world cruise on the Aurora in 2015, I suggested to the nurse that I thought the air conditioning was a problem and she completely dismissed the idea. :roll: Personally I do think it’s the problem. On our final cruise with P&O on the Oceana in 2016 I came home with a cough which lasted for about 6 months. Now we are cruising with Cunard I’d like to say I don’t get a cough but I’m afraid I do, although so far I have avoided chest infections and the cough clears after a few days at home.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”