Oi, watch it.

They're biting today :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: The "Arcadia cough"

Post by Manoverboard »

kaymar wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 10:11
Manoverboard wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 09:05
Place a bowl of water in your cabin to offset the Air-con ….. et voila :thumbup:
I have heard this, moby. Does it really work?
It does for us … but beware of tripping over Gill's ice bucket in the middle of the night :lol:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 09 Nov 2019, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm not saying this works but it seems to for me.

A few years ago someone gave me this tip and I have never had a cough since on a ship, the tip was to wipe around the AirCon unit with Tea Tree oil you will be amazed ( or maybe not ) at how much dirt comes off it, once done I then wipe all the unit again being very liberal with the oil, works for me so even if it doesn't for you at worst it's only cost you a couple of pounds but could be the difference between having an enjoyable cruise or not.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 12:50

A few years ago someone gave me this tip and I have never had a cough since on a ship, the tip was to wipe around the AirCon unit with Tea Tree oil you will be amazed ( or maybe not ) at how much dirt comes off it, once done I then wipe all the unit again being very liberal with the oil, works for me so even if it doesn't for you at worst it's only cost you a couple of pounds but could be the difference between having an enjoyable cruise or not.
An interesting tip and definitely worth a try.
Gill

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

GillD46 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 13:29

Now there's an original one - thanks Jo! Do you think there is any scientific explanation for this or should we just accept it at face value?

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

kaymar wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 22:26
GillD46 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 13:29

Now there's an original one - thanks Jo! Do you think there is any scientific explanation for this or should we just accept it at face value?

No idea if there is a scientific explanation all I know is it works for me and I don't get a cough, perhaps I have just been lucky although I would think the odds of being lucky are pretty small.
Jo

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Stephen wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 14:13
Probably all those Northern germs running round the ducting emjay45 ;) :D
Yet I only get a cough when I travel South. ;)

I'll give that a try next time. :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Interestingly I only get it on cruises out of Southampton. Fine for the rest of the year in the clean clear air of the North. :o

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Strangely enough I suffer with rhinitis (blocked nasal passages) year round, but it immediately disappears once I set foot on a ship. It seems that the dreaded aircon is rather beneficial to me.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

It seems strange that so many cruisers become ill after a cruise. Years ago it was said that a cruise had beneficial effects on health.
I wonder if any scientific investigation has been carried out by anyone into the true cause of this problem.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Right, I think I've got this one now.

Wash down the air-con inlet with tea-tree oil every day. Add a bit of it to a bowl of water, stand it in an ice-bucket and use it to prop open the balcony door. Pack the bottom of all other doors with wet towels and drink plenty of lemon juice and honey in hot water. Don't go within ten yards of any other passengers and, as far as posible, stay out of public rooms and lifts.

We'll give this a go in the Med in April and, if it works, I'll sell the recipe to all cruise lines. If I knew how to do it, I'd change the topic heading to "The Cough" because it is obviously not peculiar to Arcadia or just P&O. Naturally, all contributors will receive a share of the resultant income.

If, however, it fails and we still end up with The Cough, we will cancel our October cruise and book two weeks in Cleethorpes.

Many thanks for all your contributions - I'll let you know.
Last edited by kaymar on 12 Nov 2019, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Better still, just stay at home :D :thumbup:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”