Sail away

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Sail away

Post by Kendhni »

Just reading this story https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/travel ... annia-ban/ and thought I know who the snowflakes are and it isn't P&O.

I know some people like them but on our last couple of cruises I noticed they did away with the Great British sailaway (thank goodness) and had a decent inclusive deck party instead - it was actually more fun with better music, even though it did include some of the traditional British sailaway jingles. If people really wanted to patriotic then there were non plastic flags for sale in the shop (or maybe their patriotism only extended to something that was free).

I rate the most embarrassing incident on a cruise was in St Maarten on Oceana (I think) when we were parked up alongside a Royal Caribbean ship (can't remember which one). There had been a bit of friendly good natured banter between the two cruise directors and the Brits and Americans at several points during the day. As we were about to leave the P&O cruise director was trying to whip the P&O passengers into a frenzy of excitement by saying that we would show the Americans the Brits 'knew how to party'. More banter; tiny little plastic union jacks got handed out and were being waved furiously at the yanks; the Americans draped several stars and stripes over their balconies and up on deck there were several full size stars and stripes being waved (have to assume they were onboard and not packed by the passengers - but who knows). The P&O cruise director was really getting the Brits waving hard and the band started up with ...... Copacabana ...... I think the Americans near wet themselves laughing. This was followed by Rule Brittania ... being half drowned out by 'The Star Spangled Banner' coming from the RCI ship and we followed up with various Vera Lynn songs from 450BC ... the Americans went on to blasting contemporary and pop music.

It was funny, but the one thing was it showed that the Americans knew how to party.

Personally I am glad to see the old stereotyping British sailaway being turned into a modern deck party fit for the 21st century.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sail away

Post by GillD46 »

I have to say that the Great British Sailaway always made me cringe, and we stopped attending anything even vaguely similar many years ago. Having said that, I know many others loved them.

A deck party I love, but preferably after sailing, and not as an embarrassing display of oneupmanship.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

There is quite a busy thread on Cruise Critic about the changes to the Great British Sailaway, and it seems to me there is a correlation between leavers wanting the GBS to stay, and remainers happy to see it go. Which probably fits the strong remain view that brexiteers were poorly educated xenophobic little Englanders.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I prefer to have a civilised glass of bubbly or whatever with Mrs S on our balcony, weather permitting.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

l always enjoyed the Quayside band at the sail away, sadly now not entertained. :(

As for the top deck sail away parties they don't do a lot for me, indeed l didn't go to any on my last two cruises (several years ago now) so they'll be no great loss to me. As for "we are sailing" deck parties l would do away with them also. I'm happy to mingle with a glass of bubbly in hand, with perhaps some less intrusive music playing in the background, but only if the hyper entertainment team ain't nowhere to be seen....They seem to think that if you aint stretching your vocal cords, then you ain't having fun.

Well there you have it.....l bet you'll all be queueing up to share a table with me :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Packing is more interesting as far as we are concerned … cannot see the point other than to sell cheap champers :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:34
l always enjoyed the Quayside band at the sail away, sadly now not entertained. :(

As for the top deck sail away parties they don't do a lot for me, indeed l didn't go to any on my last two cruises (several years ago now) so they'll be no great loss to me. As for "we are sailing" deck parties l would do away with them also. I'm happy to mingle with a glass of bubbly in hand, with perhaps some less intrusive music playing in the background, but only if the hyper entertainment team ain't nowhere to be seen....They seem to think that if you aint stretching your vocal cords, then you ain't having fun.

Well there you have it.....l bet you'll all be queueing up to share a table with me :lol:

We would happily share a table with you and your good lady Keith. :sarcasm:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:35
Packing is more interesting as far as we are concerned … cannot see the point other than to sell cheap champers :thumbdown:
It's cheaper if you bring it up from your cabin...just saying :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We would also happily share a cruise table with his good Lady … not quite so sure about the sheep s*****r though :lol: :wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:37
Onelife wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:34

We would happily share a table with you and your good lady Keith. :sarcasm:
l wish l could return the complement Stephen :oops: :moresarcasm: :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:40
We would also happily share a cruise table with his good Lady … not quite so sure about the sheep s*****r though :lol: :wave:
You should be baaaaa..d for that comment Moby :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I can take or leave the sailaway parties these days but that has more to do with age than patriotism or not. I do, however, feel this issue has been painted with inaccurate political motives. I think it is entirely to do with reducing single use plastic pollution and evolving tastes in entertainment rather than anything more sinister.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 13:49
I think it is entirely to do with reducing single use plastic
That is just a good "get out" clause these days to make companies look good. There is nothing to stop companies replacing anything plastic with a product made from a non plastic material other than it would cost more and dent their profits.
evolving tastes in entertainment
That is probably more the case coupled in P&O's case by the constant drive to make P&O more aligned with other Carnival brands.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 14:16
I think it is entirely to do with reducing single use plastic
That is just a good "get out" clause these days to make companies look good. There is nothing to stop companies replacing anything plastic with a product made from a non plastic material other than it would cost more and dent their profits.
That is probably more the case coupled in P&O's case by the constant drive to make P&O more aligned with other Carnival brands.
From what I hear from a friend who recently sailed on Costa, P&O are much more aligned with Princess than with them, and I imagine HAL is a higher standard along with AIDA, whilst Carnival itself is probably closer to the basement Costa standard.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 14:16
I'm not sure about the alignment of Carnival brands. When we were on Queen Vic last year chatting with the former P&O Captain I made the observation, having been on Azura the previous week, that Carnival were trying to differentiate their brands operating out of the UK both in style and price, with Cunard being top price, then Princess, then P&O. He said yes very much so and more to come. So I'm expecting drunken karaoke, fighting clowns and a vest and shorts dress code to become compulsory on P&O. :sarcasm:

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

You are not far out Mervyn re P&O as it was anti social behaviour that turned us away from them.

Having said that Aurora was not in the same category. Perhaps is the big ships that have the problem and maybe destinations have something to contribute.

As for sail away we keep away!

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

It will be formal evenings going next.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldtimer wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 17:35
It will be formal evenings going next.
Unlikely, but if the Iona trial is successful we could see a reduction to one per week across the family friendly flèet
at least.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Sadly, trying to squeeze every penny out of cruisers by way of cutting corners always ends up lowering the status of the brand.....P&O embarked on this strategy a few years back and have imo moved from a stylish cruise experience to one where passengers are accepting of lower standards. ....well that's the opinion l get when reading cruise reviews.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Finker wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 17:03
You are not far out Mervyn re P&O as it was anti social behaviour that turned us away from them.

Having said that Aurora was not in the same category. Perhaps is the big ships that have the problem and maybe destinations have something to contribute.

As for sail away we keep away!
Sadly that was our experience on the larger ships. We saw the type of behaviour and aggression we had not witnessed before so we now take our chances with those on Aurora and Arcadia.
Over the years we have seen the P&O experience devalued to the extent where we are now looking at other cruise lines as an alternative. We always enjoyed being played away at Southampton. It was a lovely start to the holiday but now we don't bother with the sailaway at all. As for the Great British sailaways, not for us. I find them cringeworthy but there are those who enjoy them so fair dues if that is what they enjoy. We prefer to find a nice quiet spot to relax. I must say the assertion that the Brexiteers are more likely to enjoy the GB Sailaway put a wry smile on my face as an ardent Brexiteer. :lol: Nobody is more patriotic than I but this overt jingoism is too much even for me.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

When they had the band at sailaway at Southampton I would and watch the sailaway. Dont do the great British sail away with all the singing etc. Just not for me. Prefer to sit on the prom deck where it's much quieter or if I'm lucky on the balcony.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The band at sailaway became a victim of its own success and I would guess that it was discontinued due to a lack of resources more than a "cost cutting" exercise.

In the "good old days" (pre 2000) P&O only had three ships and the majority of sailings were at a weekend, meaning that one band could probably do all the sailaways. As the size of the fleet grew and sailings became a daily occurrence then the bands were just not available due to work/school commitments, and added to that was the decline in the number of bands/band members.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 10:47
There is quite a busy thread on Cruise Critic about the changes to the Great British Sailaway,
Just read it and am horrified to read posts mentioning a P&O cruise director and staff were encouraging the passengers to do nazi salutes, playing dambusters music and singing we won the war towards a German ship alongside. If true I hope that P&O got/get rid of that cruise director and team.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Kendhni wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 10:26
towny44 wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 10:47
There is quite a busy thread on Cruise Critic about the changes to the Great British Sailaway,
Just read it and am horrified to read posts mentioning a P&O cruise director and staff were encouraging the passengers to do nazi salutes, playing dambusters music and singing we won the war towards a German ship alongside. If true I hope that P&O got/get rid of that cruise director and team.
Had the Cruise Director ordered a broadside and sunk the German ship then I would agree with you however I suspect that the average German citizen would much prefer slapstick banter from us Brits to a feeling of hatred towards their nation …. just saying.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Whatever way you look at it Moby it's still not right.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”