Is Iona going to be late?

All about Iona

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Is Iona going to be late?

Post by Manoverboard »

welshynurse wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 12:28
Can't work out how to quote messages but to me yes it would matter if it was late and no I did not book in it for bragging rights. We booked on because its the time and destination we want, and happens to be the new ship.

And I understand that ship building is more complex than decorating a bedroom...the hallway on the other hand...

Sorry for rant!
It isn't too difficult …. try doing a test run :)

View the post that you wish to reply to and then click on the " at the top right hand side of the display.

Then type your comments in the normal way beneath everything else that is displayed.

Good luck and don't worry if you mess up a few as I will delete them if needs be :wave:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 15 Jan 2020, 11:39, edited 2 times in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

johnm51
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by johnm51 »

Manoverboard wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:09
What if it is late … does it actually matter ?

Surely many of the passengers who book early on cruises on a brand new ship are in reality doing so for bragging rights but they would also be savvy enough to appreciate that every now and again their cruise will not run due to a delay of some sort.
It would matter to me. We were on board Oceana when they launched bookings for Iona and as we'd never been on a maiden cruise we decided to give it a try. The price offered (cheapest inside) was very good so we went ahead and booked. We want to try out a new ship rather than gain any bragging rights and would be disappointed if it was cancelled.

Currently Meyer Werft are planning the float out mid Feb which would appear to give plenty of times for sea trials. As for the speculation on it being delayed I think this is all to do with P&O having a separate naming celebration rather than the traditional one before the maiden. From P&O's point of view they are on a winner as all the guests at the naming will be paying as opposed to being on a freebie as has happened in the past.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

johnm51 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:19
Manoverboard wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:09
What if it is late … does it actually matter ?

Surely many of the passengers who book early on cruises on a brand new ship are in reality doing so for bragging rights but they would also be savvy enough to appreciate that every now and again their cruise will not run due to a delay of some sort.
It would matter to me. We were on board Oceana when they launched bookings for Iona and as we'd never been on a maiden cruise we decided to give it a try. The price offered (cheapest inside) was very good so we went ahead and booked. We want to try out a new ship rather than gain any bragging rights and would be disappointed if it was cancelled.

Currently Meyer Werft are planning the float out mid Feb which would appear to give plenty of times for sea trials. As for the speculation on it being delayed I think this is all to do with P&O having a separate naming celebration rather than the traditional one before the maiden. From P&O's point of view they are on a winner as all the guests at the naming will be paying as opposed to being on a freebie as has happened in the past.
I did infer ' some ' not ' all '. It is of course an event worthy of bragging about if that is one's want.

We were invited to a Naming Do and have also been on one Maiden cruise in spite of having booked two.

The booking for Ventura ' went astray ', a P&O hic-cup if you will, and yes we were disappointed but accepted that a myriad of things can happen when booking a cabin on a ship that has yet to sail. We simply went at a later date.

Having read the posts on this and the P&O sites over a period of many years I think that it is correct to suggest that many do so for bragging rights as well as the obvious pleasure of cruising on a new ship and / or sleeping in a nearly new bed.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Manoverboard wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:23
Having read the posts on this and the P&O sites over a period of many years I think that it is correct to suggest that many do so for bragging rights as well as the obvious pleasure of cruising on a new ship and / or sleeping in a nearly new bed.
Thinking back to Ventura, remember the anger from some when they realised their "maiden cruise" bed was not indeed virgin! Even without shake down cruises, press visits and naming ceremonies it's obvious that staff, friends and families etc, get to test the facilities to make sure everything works, for example on the voyage from the shipyard to the home port. Without that maiden voyages would universally be disasters! Even with that we discovered on the Azura maiden that some of the light switches in our cabin hadn't been connected, a fault that was quickly rectified.

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

View the post that you wish to reply to and then click on the " at the top right hand side of the display.

Then type your comments in the normal way beneath everything else that is displayed.

Good luck and don't worry if you mess up a few as I will delete them if needs be :wave:

Yey I did it... I think...

Thanks.

If it is late they will also have to compensate excursions because at least one says it's all ready sold out! Is it me or are they out earlier than they used to be?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

welshynurse wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 16:44

Yey I did it... I think...

Thanks.

If it is late they will also have to compensate excursions because at least one says it's all ready sold out! Is it me or are they out earlier than they used to be?
Put your comments after the [/quote] box welshy, which then puts your quote into a little box and your comments separate underneath just like mine!!
Last edited by oldbluefox on 15 Jan 2020, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

welshynurse wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 16:44
Yey I did it... I think... I am not so sure about that … try it again ;)

Thanks.

If you have booked an excursion and it doesn't run or is full then they will refund the sum paid to the same source it was received from but if it wasn't booked then no compo nor refund will apply.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Latest CC & FB reports say that Iona will float out from the assembly hall this week, probably Friday.
Then after a shortish spell doing the final outside fitting out, funnel and satellite antennae, and taking aboard the lifeboats, she will undertake the Ems transit to the North Sea in March.
Last edited by towny44 on 09 Feb 2020, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

A Photo of Iona now berthed at the outside fitting out dock in Papenberg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Looks much better than her Aida sister with a proper bow.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

That's some flag
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray B wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 09:52
That's some flag
It rewuired 520 litres of paint for the flag.
John

Return to “About Iona”