Re: Saga Spirit of Discovery

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It's nice though......

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Looked on-line and some prices looked not too frightening.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It does very much depend on the cruise. And bear in mind the present lot have been out for a while so early discounts have disappeared.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

As I say, the prices were far from frightening on some voyages, particularly the longer ones, so I am sure we’ll give them a try at some stage.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I know they have quite a few single cabins, but I will have to look up the single supplement costs.
Would love to try a short cruise.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They have a lot of single cabins. About 100 I believe. They're in decent locations around the ship. The same width as the standard balconies but slightly shorter as clearly don't need as much bed space. Haven't looked at prices but the ship is very geared to make single travellers welcome.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

So to our cabin. We'd booked a standard balcony. There is nothing less on this ship. There are also slightly wider deluxe balconies and a range of suites.

Our standard balcony was probably the nicest we've had at this level anywhere. Familiar layout with bed convertible to twins or double. Two seats and a coffee table in addition to the dressing table chair. All good quality and well appointed. Good lighting options including bedside lights and separate reading lights. The mirror light in the shower room remains on dimly all the time the power is on in the cabin. Great for nocturnal visits.

Big tv facing the bed with satellite channels, a lot of ship information and a decent number of films on demand all at no extra charge.

Nice shower room with a proper good sized glass cubicle. I think only suites get a bath. Toiletries including hand wash, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion all in large refillable bottles. And a huge bar of soap.

Room service menu is all included and 24 hour. In addition you can also get main dining room menu in the cabin during opening hours. A privilege Cunard reserve for Grills passengers. Usual tea and coffee stuff. No biscuits! Not sure if that's usual or a steward failure.

Small fridge. Bottled water in screw top glass bottles. Fruit bowl.

Balcony is sitting sized not sunbathing sized with two chairs and a small table.

Loads of electric sockets. A continental 2 round pin dedicated socket for kettle and hairdryer plus three UK 13 amps on the dressing table. A further 13amp either side of the bed and a USB charging socket built into each bed side light fitting.

There are two lights outside the door controlled by switches inside for do not disturb and please make up cabin. One stays dimly lit whenever the key card is in the slot to turn on the cabin power so staff have a clue whether the cabin is occupied if they need to call during the day. Suites and I think the wheelchair adapted cabins also get a door bell.

The latter have powered doors.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Dining. MDR food is the best we've come across anywhere outside the Cunard Grills. Almost everyone is on open seating dining with the exception of a small number of fixed tables that have to be pre booked. It actually works so much better than P&O Freedom and similar deals. Unlike the ships where the dining rooms were originally designed with capacity to work on a two sitting pattern and on Freedom you can end up waiting for someone else to finish and tables to be reset there was enough space and we didn't see any relaying. We got straight in each time.

There are three speciality restaurants too where the food goes up a gear but no cover charge. And the Grill, the buffet serves the MDR menu at night.

The buffet is very well organised during the day. Tables are pre laid with cutlery and glasses. At peak times there are staff to show you to a vacant table. Normally self service but with staff assisting at the buffet on this trip after a noro out break on the previous cruise. Hygiene is scrupulous by the way. Gel everywhere and wash basins at the buffet entrances. The Captain made clear at muster that everyone must gel on entering food outlets and said the crew had been instructed by him to not permit admission to anyone who refused.

Overall the food experience was excellent.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Drinking. Is all includive on house wines, beers, spirits etc. If you want a malt whisky for example there is a charge. We stuck to the house stuff and were quite satisfied with what we got.

At lunch and dinner there is a choice of red, white or rose bit the actual varieties changed daily. White was, for example, sauvignon Blanca the first night, then chardonnay, thrm pinot origin. But we spotted the old hands would sometimes request another variation with no problem.

Despite drink being freely available we saw no drunkenness or loutish behaviour. There was no feeling of I've paid for this so I have to get my money's worth. Unlike we've sadly seen since the drinks package was introduced on P&O.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve looked at single cabins on the Saga ships in the past - I have a friend who cruises regularly with them - like me she is a widow but doesn’t have any family so travels on her own and has made friends she now meets up with on her cruises.

I’ve done a rough comparison with my 14 day Christmas cruise to the Canaries on Iona in an outside double cabin with Spirit of Discovery in early December this year in a single balcony cabin and the difference is £1800 :o (and that’s with a 25% discount on Spirit). Not sure how much a balcony cabin would be on Iona.

Obviously there is a hell of a difference in size and amenities between the two ships but I’m still not sure I’d be prepared to pay that much extra although I do think the ship has a lot to offer. Prices for two sharing a cabin seem far more reasonable but this is just the norm across the cruise lines - being on your own you just have to pay extra :(
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Entertainment . Less choice on a small ship but a known audience so no late night edgy comedians etc. There is usually a resident production company but we didn't get a show on this short cruise. The company changed over after the last trip so the new ones are getting up to speed. We had excellent guest performers including singers and musicians . On board resident musicians all good too.

The theatre does a single show at 9.30 each night. It was never overcrowded. I think half the passengers may already be in bed.

Daytime activities ate pretty typical. There is a dedicated craft room for that sort of stuff.

Very satisfied.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Passenger mix. Not as old as you'd expect and not a lot different to a typical P&O school time cruise. It does apparently get a bit older on longer cruises. There are apparently two couples who live in the best suites for months at a time!

But no lycra clad tattood drunken yobs.

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Thanks for your review, have to say you did a lot better job than me :)
Just for info, anyone interested in booking, the 2021 itineraries will be on sale on the 23rd March.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Nice review Merv. Still pricey in my view though. I prefer to pay as I go along rather than pay for stuff I probably won't use.
Last edited by Stephen on 15 Feb 2020, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thank you for a very interesting review, Mervyn.
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:40
Captain made clear at muster that everyone must gel on entering food outlets and said the crew had been instructed by him to not permit admission to anyone who refused.

Overall the food experience was excellent.
Hope PO also make sure gel use and hand washing is enforced on their ships now. I feel sorry for some of the 'lower grade' staff who are usually trying to enforce it when what is needed under the present circumstances is an officer with a bit more clout stood nearby to back them up. I hope they also come down heavy on those idiots who fill up their used water bottles by sticking them under/touching the spout of the machines just to save the odd euro or two.

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have just done a test booking, admittedly for a cruise next month 7 nights to Ireland. For 2 people approx £999 each for one person £2750.

Ha ha they are having a laugh.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 10:58
I have just done a test booking, admittedly for a cruise next month 7 nights to Ireland. For 2 people approx £999 each for one person £2750.

That sounds weird, why can't you book the 2 person cabin for 1 at £1998?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Final thoughts.

The ship is new, classy, friendly and (sorry for the snob bit) riff raff free. No one is going to book this for a cheap booze cruise or a stag party.

The staff are great. Nothing is too much trouble and there seem to be plenty of them. It feels spacious and uncrowded. And no surprise when I checked the numbers. It is only 10,000 tons smaller than Oriana with a little over half the passengers. It is more than half the size of Azura and Ventura with less than a third of the passengers. It has a very similar space to passenger ratio as QM2. And none of that space is taken up by children's facilities.

I think at a stroke Saga have played a blinder here. They've repositioned from being aged second hand ships for aged passengers to being a boutique cruise line. Around 2/3 on this trip were Saga virgins.

Yes it is more expensive that other options. In some cases a lot more so. You have to pick and choose what and when to book. But in our view you get what you pay for. If and when we can afford it us definitely on our list.

Any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Feb 2020, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That is weird. But that is very late to book and they don't do late bargains. At that stage for two people with all that you get that's a bargain. The single pricing is seemingly bonkers though.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

My feelings exactly Lindsey although I really would like to try it after reading Merv’s review. Not sure if you read my post but a difference of nearly £2000 is a lot of money :lolno:
Janis

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

towny44 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:39

I tried to do that John but once you put one person in it takes you to single cabins - may be there is a way to book a double cabin for one but I’ve got three cruises booked already for this year so not pursuing it at the moment :lolno:
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:40
towny44 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:39

I tried to do that John but once you put one person in it takes you to single cabins - may be there is a way to book a double cabin for one but I’ve got three cruises booked already for this year so not pursuing it at the moment :lolno:

Name dropper :D

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks for all the info Mervyn. Definitely one to try.
Gill

Topic author
Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

This is on Sapphire and test booking online.
The bottom price pp is £949 for an inside guarantee, the price £2572
for the single passenger is in an outside.
At this point if you were serious about booking a phone call would be in order and maybe ask for an inside guarantee?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It's called fluid pricing. I am like Jan have 3 booked with P and O. 2 on Arcadia and 1 on Aurora. Will bear Saga in mind for though for the future.

I may have to win more on the lottery than last time, approx £8.

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”