Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Topics that are specific to cruising

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Post by Gill W »

It’s been announced that Fred Olsen has now cancelled all cruises until 23rd May.

Thank God, that is a big relief.

They’ve been really dragging their feet, but I think they have made the decision now as the situation on Braemar has made it on to Sky News.

P&O haven’t made the cancellation move yet. It must surely be only hours away.

The actuary I know from Twitter says that currently there’s a 1 in 4600 chance of catching COVID19. In June it’ll be a 1 in 2 chance. So that’s an indication of how long this will go on for, and shows that many of us will be likely to catch it at some point
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 16:39
Onelife wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 09:54
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 08:02
Sadly OL that is circulating widely on the internet and according to health experts contains a lot of inaccurate information. I'm sticking with NHS advice.
Hi Sir Merv. ....l said it was interesting, l didn't say you have to believe everything in it.....If it helps promote more awareness then l see no harm in the article.
My worry is that if people follow advice such as the bit about drinking water every 15 minutes to protect themselves, which is apparently complete bunkum, they'll have a false sense of security and may neglect other more important things. Of course there is nothing wrong with drinking water. But it is no substitute for proper advice.
Agree about the water Sir Merv. .....l wonder if whisky would work better..hic, hic :)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 11:30
Onelife wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 11:17
Whynd1 wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 10:23
It has also been reported that Oceana has been denied access to pots in Spain. They are waiting to see if they can go into Lisbon or sail home.

Isnt it time P and O suspended all sailings.
Absolutely they should.....and if l had my way l would turn all cruise ships into floating isolation units.
The question is how many will go to the wall with a prolonged stoppage. Then of course, unless demand plummets, prices will escalate from those lines that do survive.

PS Keefie, so far cruise ships don't have a good track record as isolation units.
They will after 3/4 weeks isolation, although l appreciate turning the Spa into a morgue will present some difficulties :sick:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Mar 2020, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 17:09
The actuary I know from Twitter says that currently there’s a 1 in 4600 chance of catching COVID19. In June it’ll be a 1 in 2 chance. So that’s an indication of how long this will go on for, and shows that many of us will be likely to catch it at some point
Based on scientific rather than statistical fact ?
Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Mar 2020, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 08:53
But since the NHS are now only testing hospital admissions, then there will be no way to know just how many people have had the virus.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

They are saying 60% need to catch it to give us herd immunity. I'm selflessly volunteering to be in the other 40%!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 09:50
Manoverboard wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 08:53
But since the NHS are now only testing hospital admissions, then there will be no way to know just how many people have had the virus.
Does make the stats a little iffy. But I presume they have some sort of algorithm. The majority who get flu or norovirus each year don't declare themselves to the aurhoriries but they seem to come up with estimates.

This is probably also why the death rates look high at the moment. They only have them compared to confirmed cases but there are likely a lot of mild cases not being reported. I've seen suggestions it could be as high as 10,000 in the UK already.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 09:52
They are saying 60% need to catch it to give us herd immunity. I'm selflessly volunteering to be in the other 40%!
:thumbup: us too! Just walks locally to get fresh air, and not touching any thing outside the house. We will do supermarket on line order, but not until absolutely necessary.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We were at Morrisons this morning. You would think the plague had just been declared. It was heaving.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Tis surely the time to remember the inhabitants of the pretty Derbyshire Village of Eyam during the Great Plague of 1665. Many, but not all, of them died but their sacrifice saved the lives of ALL the folk who lived in the surrounding villages and settlements. They achieved this through self isolation, nobody in nor out of the village. So …

There are two cases in Poole, both members of Fleetsbridge Gym ( it is reported ) therefore Poole should be fenced in to prevent the spread to other parts of the County.

Over to you Frank :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 11:47
Tis surely the time to remember the inhabitants of the pretty Derbyshire Village of Eyam during the Great Plague of 1665. Many, but not all, of them died but their sacrifice saved the lives of ALL the folk who lived in the surrounding villages and settlements. They achieved this through self isolation, nobody in nor out of the village. So …

There are two cases in Poole, both members of Fleetsbridge Gym ( it is reported ) therefore Poole should be fenced in to prevent the spread to other parts of the County.

Maybe Donald will build you a wall?

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

It's too late Mob........its probably in every county by now........However me and you should be okay living in our secluded properties.....btw...don't forget to put up the .......trespassers will be shot notice :thumbup:

It's every man women and child for themselves.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Thanks. Most real Poolies think "world ends at Shaftesbury common", so no need to fence them in, because they fear falling off the edge of the world if they go too far.

"Shaftesbury? Where's that too look?" "Is that north of the gumption line look?"

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The situation on Braemar is very worrying now.

Apart from the 5 known COVID19 cases onboard, there are now 20 passengers and 20 crew with ‘flu like symptoms’. The onboard doctor is now self isolating.

They have been anchored off the Bahamas awaiting fuel and supplies, for more than 24 hours.

The passengers have been allowed to roam free, so there could easily be more infections.

No one knows how these people will be brought home.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Update

Supplies arriving now, and 2 extra doctors and a nurse should arrive by speedboat ‘soon’
Gill

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Stephen wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 07:28
I'm holding out for a further drop. A tenner a share would be the figure I'm looking at. Maybe wishful thinking, we shall see.
Hi Stephen

Just bought in at £10

Time to crack open that wallet of yours ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'm watching them as we speak. Just missed out at 998.

The top surgeon is currently operating on my wallet at this very moment.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well it’s happened at last P&O suspending cruises for 30 days.
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We might still get ours then which sails on 31st May.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Looks like I’ll be keeping my shares for a few yrs yet.😡
Mel

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm unsure what to do for the best. Paid in full for April cruise. P and O cancel and are offering g125% as FCC.
So that's good, but do I want P and O to keep my money for a year. What if they go under. Will I have lost my money.
Have 2 more booked but are not allowed to transfer it to those only to a new booking.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Fred Olsen have cancelled my cruise, and I’m going to request my money back. This isn’t going to end any time soon. I’m fully booked for cruises next year and early 2022, so I don’t want another cruise next year, therefore their 125% FCC is not attractive, and I’m not sure what would happen if they went out of business. It gives me more peace of mind To have the cash. My next cruise is March 2021, and I’ll make any decision about this when the full balance is due. Some say there’ll be a second peak of infection next winter, so I may decide to forfeit the deposit.

After this is all over, whenever that may be, I will probably not book so far in advance anymore.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Whynd1 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 13:23
I'm unsure what to do for the best. Paid in full for April cruise. P and O cancel and are offering g125% as FCC.
So that's good, but do I want P and O to keep my money for a year. What if they go under. Will I have lost my money.
Have 2 more booked but are not allowed to transfer it to those only to a new booking.

Theses are unprecedented times and l'm not so sure where Carnival would stand legally if they were challenged in not being able to provide what has been paid for? ...There must be a time limit as to how long they can keep people anchored for?

As far as robust companies go Carnival are in a far better position than most to ride out the storm.....and If my wife wasn't so risk averse l would definitely be buying into Carnival shares.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:58

Theses are unprecedented times and l'm not so sure where Carnival would stand legally if they were challenged in not being able to provide what has been paid for? ...There must be a time limit as to how long they can keep people anchored for?

As far as robust companies go Carnival are in a far better position than most to ride out the storm.....and If my wife wasn't so risk averse l would definitely be buying into Carnival shares.

Don't tell her

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:13
Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:58

Don't tell her
She censors all mail........squeak! squeak! :lol:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”