Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Topics that are specific to cruising

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Could Corona-virus be disastrous for the cruise industry

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 13:46
Fred Olsen have cancelled my cruise, and I’m going to request my money back. This isn’t going to end any time soon. I’m fully booked for cruises next year and early 2022, so I don’t want another cruise next year, therefore their 125% FCC is not attractive, and I’m not sure what would happen if they went out of business …..
Seems unlikely as ' Fred Inc ' is a huge Company. We were advised on Braemar that the Cruise element represents approx 2% of the business value.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:26
Stephen wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:13
Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:58

Theses are unprecedented times and l'm not so sure where Carnival would stand legally if they were challenged in not being able to provide what has been paid for? ...There must be a time limit as to how long they can keep people anchored for?

As far as robust companies go Carnival are in a far better position than most to ride out the storm.....and If my wife wasn't so risk averse l would definitely be buying into Carnival shares.

Don't tell her
She censors all mail........squeak! squeak! :lol:

Tut tut. You'll be wearing a dress next....cup cake :)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

It is beginning to look as though lots of companies are going to struggle to survive as country after country shut down most hospitality venues and they as well as airline and holiday companies start to lay off staff. Even gold plated pensioners might not be immune as company pension funds cease to be viable and they are called on to bail them out.
I wonder what the extinction rebellion group will think then, because if this pandemic lasts as long as some predict, then the outcome for the World population will be a thousand times worse than anything climate change might inflict on us.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 14:58
Whynd1 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 13:23
I'm unsure what to do for the best. Paid in full for April cruise. P and O cancel and are offering g125% as FCC.
So that's good, but do I want P and O to keep my money for a year. What if they go under. Will I have lost my money.
Have 2 more booked but are not allowed to transfer it to those only to a new booking.

Theses are unprecedented times and l'm not so sure where Carnival would stand legally if they were challenged in not being able to provide what has been paid for? ...There must be a time limit as to how long they can keep people anchored for?

As far as robust companies go Carnival are in a far better position than most to ride out the storm.....and If my wife wasn't so risk averse l would definitely be buying into Carnival shares.
Its in the terms and conditions that they have to refund if they can't provide the cruise that was sold, and I also understand they are obligated to do this under the Package Holiday Regulations.

It seems they are pushing the FCC, and I'm not sure if everyone even knows that they can have a refund if they want. I'm a bit uneasy about all these FCC's as we don't know how long this will go on for, what the capacity will be like for everyone who wants to rebook, and if another cruise is booked, then has to be cancelled, I'm not clear if what the customer's rights would be in that scenario. However, I must admit I haven't looked too closely at the P&O offer, as it doesn't apply to me at this time.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:27
Gill W wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 13:46
Fred Olsen have cancelled my cruise, and I’m going to request my money back. This isn’t going to end any time soon. I’m fully booked for cruises next year and early 2022, so I don’t want another cruise next year, therefore their 125% FCC is not attractive, and I’m not sure what would happen if they went out of business …..
Seems unlikely as ' Fred Inc ' is a huge Company. We were advised on Braemar that the Cruise element represents approx 2% of the business value.
I hope so, as I don't want any of these companies to go out of business. I think some of the smaller local companies like the coach excursion company that I use will struggle. I've just come back from Warners - their business is weighted towards older people. I hope they'll be ok
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 16:04
It is beginning to look as though lots of companies are going to struggle to survive as country after country shut down most hospitality venues and they as well as airline and holiday companies start to lay off staff. Even gold plated pensioners might not be immune as company pension funds cease to be viable and they are called on to bail them out.
I wonder what the extinction rebellion group will think then, because if this pandemic lasts as long as some predict, then the outcome for the World population will be a thousand times worse than anything climate change might inflict on us.
The government should put HS2 on hold for 5 years and use the money to prop up UK businesses.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:01
The government should put HS2 on hold for 5 years and use the money to prop up UK businesses.
The money is not there to be saved Keefie and it will come from borrowing for capital expenditure, which is a different pot to the current every day spending. So although it sounds a good idea I doubt it would be a viable option.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 20:15
Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:01
The money is not there to be saved Keefie and it will come from borrowing for capital expenditure, which is a different pot to the current every day spending. So although it sounds a good idea I doubt it would be a viable option.
l best get back to stacking shelves :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Or emptying them ..........

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 21:31
.......join the queue Sir Merv :lol:

:wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

allatc wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 08:36
Stephen wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 07:28
I'm holding out for a further drop. A tenner a share would be the figure I'm looking at. Maybe wishful thinking, we shall see.
Hi Stephen

Just bought in at £10

Time to crack open that wallet of yours ?

Just bought another 100 @ £9.96

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 09:31

Why? You can only use one lot of shareholder benefits per cabin/booking. If you are buying as an investment, you may be in for an unpleasant shock.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 10:42
Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 09:31

Why? You can only use one lot of shareholder benefits per cabin/booking. If you are buying as an investment, you may be in for an unpleasant shock.

Investment John.

Like all shares there is a risk element. Time will tell. If it all goes t*ts up then that's the risk you take. But I'm gambling that things will turn around in a few years.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The first investment was the risk but the second was probably being greedy :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:22
The first investment was the risk but the second was probably being greedy :lol:

Keep one investment (maybe) sell the other when the price is right, or I could lose the lot. I'm in no hurry. If I lose I'll call it a cruise I didn't have :D :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:54

Keep one investment (maybe) sell the other when the price is right, or I could lose the lot. I'm in no hurry. If I lose I'll call it a cruise I didn't have :D :thumbup:
Good thinking but keep your cool and don't sell until they hit a profit percentage gain that you have decided upon. :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Stephen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:54

If you lose the lot there won't be any cruises for you not to take.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I can imagine.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Just wondering....is our leader David still on Holiday/cruise?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Onelife wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 21:53
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 21:31
.......join the queue Sir Merv :lol:

:wave:
I look forward to it!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

" Mr Raab also said he was confident that the 600 UK nationals on the Braemar cruise ship trapped in the Caribbean would fly back from Cuba to the UK later today. …. BBC News today … "

Last edited by Manoverboard on 19 Mar 2020, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I see P and O have announced another pause in operations till 15th May.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, it's going to be touch and go as to whether our cruise goes ahead at the very end of May. Personally I see no chance of it happening, but we'll let Mr P&O sort that one out rather than us.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Well something is going in the right direction and that is Carnival shares up to £16.50 (ish) today.

Just sold half of the shares I bought two months ago for a little over what I paid and still got my 100 shares - just in case we can cruise again!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You didn't keep them long David. What did you make....50p :D

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”