**IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING REFUNDS** From P&O Cruises president, Paul Ludlow I wanted to take this opportunity to a

A feed from the P&O Facebook page

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: **IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING REFUNDS** From P&O Cruises president, Paul LudlowI wanted to take this opportunity to a

Post by david63 »

I think that one of the clever things about refunds that P&O are doing is paying by cheque. Think about it - you have your refund but how many are going to go straight to the bank to pay the cheque in? The longer it takes to present the cheque the longer P&O/Carnival have the cash but the customer cannot complain because they have got their refund!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: **IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING REFUNDS** From P&O Cruises president, Paul LudlowI wanted to take this opportunity to a

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 22 May 2020, 18:50
I think that one of the clever things about refunds that P&O are doing is paying by cheque. Think about it - you have your refund but how many are going to go straight to the bank to pay the cheque in? The longer it takes to present the cheque the longer P&O/Carnival have the cash but the customer cannot complain because they have got their refund!
Quite a few on CC are saying they have been paid direct into their bank account, and others refunded onto their credit card, cheques are very much in the minority. Which sort of shoots your theory down David.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I am very pleased that someone has received a refund,although it makes a mockery of being told that they are being done in date order.

G003 was about a month behind my cruise R006
I am still waiting.
Are they prioritising the Iona ?

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 22 May 2020, 22:07
david63 wrote: 22 May 2020, 18:50
Quite a few on CC are saying they have been paid direct into their bank account, and others refunded onto their credit card, cheques are very much in the minority. Which sort of shoots your theory down David.
It is posible that a number of cards used for the payment of deposits have expired or that the payment was made on board a previous cruise and was charged to an on-board Account rather than directly to a card ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

vivian
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by vivian »

Did not clarify in my post the refund for G003 was paid into credit card used for payment. But they have not informed me that they had refunded the cost. As we are both in the 70's bracket it is very unlikely that we would be able to get insurance for a cruise in the near future.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 May 2020, 07:59
payment was made on board a previous cruise and was charged to an on-board Account
You cannot charge it your onboard account these days - it needs to go on a credit/debit card

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I booked through Hays and paid them by credit card - P&O wouldn’t have my card information so I’m presuming the only way to refund me is by cheque. I’m sure Hays by law can’t give them my details - oh well it’s a waiting game for all of us - some longer than others :roll:
Janis

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:17
I booked through Hays and paid them by credit card - P&O wouldn’t have my card information so I’m presuming the only way to refund me is by cheque. I’m sure Hays by law can’t give them my details - oh well it’s a waiting game for all of us - some longer than others :roll:
Some posters on CC have said that P&O have contacted them for bank details in your situation Jan; however it does appear that those passengers who have been shouting loudest, to P&O, have fared better with more of them getting early refunds.
John

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Whynd1 wrote: 23 May 2020, 07:51
I am very pleased that someone has received a refund,although it makes a mockery of being told that they are being done in date order.

I am still waiting.

Lindsey
I read somewhere ( I can’t remember where, I’ve been reading a lot recently!) that they have a new system in place for refunds that they started using for Iona cruises. I’ve certainly seen a few SM messages from Iona passengers saying they have had refunds. So, it is possible that Iona has been given some sort of priority.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Gill W wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:26
Whynd1 wrote: 23 May 2020, 07:51

I am still waiting.

Lindsey
I read somewhere ( I can’t remember where, I’ve been reading a lot recently!) that they have a new system in place for refunds that they started using for Iona cruises. I’ve certainly seen a few SM messages from Iona passengers saying they have had refunds. So, it is possible that Iona has been given some sort of priority.
You are right Gill - they’ve been trialling a new system and using Iona passengers as guinea pigs and a few people on a Facebook Iona group have had refunds for the maiden cruise.
Janis

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I paid through my travel agent so would need a cheque refund.
Why cant P and O reimburse the travel agent through their accounts and then the ta refund back through the cards.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:45
Why cant P and O reimburse the travel agent through their accounts and then the ta refund back through the cards.
Probably some good banking/legal reason - but in the current situation I would not have thought that it was a particularly safe option with the possibility of some TAs going bust.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hadnt thought of that,good point David.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We use Fred Olsen Travel when booking our cruises. If I pay by Debit Card it goes through the travel agent, but if I pay on the Credit Card the payment has to go through PandO.
Having never had a refund, I do not know how the mechanics of the refund would work in these cases.
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I was refunded in full by P&O for a fully paid up Cruise together with Hotel add-ons plus eight excursions. Different times of course but everything was refunded as per the original payments, ie, Credit Card for the excursions and Debit Card Account for the Cruise and Hotel charges.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 May 2020, 12:33
I was refunded in full by P&O for a fully paid up Cruise together with Hotel add-ons plus eight excursions. Different times of course but everything was refunded as per the original payments, ie, Credit Card for the excursions and Debit Card Account for the Cruise and Hotel charges.
That is good Moby. May I please ask. Did you book the cruise and Hotel add-on directly with P & O thus paying them directly. Or did you book through a T/A and pay in full to the T/A? I am thinking that in my case as I booked through a T/A (Bolsover)and paid in full to the T/A by credit card and they then forwarded onward to P & O that I will have to accept a cheque in refund. P & O would not know my credit card details.

I am annoyed with myself for not thinking about that until the last couple of days. I have spent my entire working life in top flight finance and I never once thought it through properly. Grrrrr

Many thanks

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:58
Whynd1 wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:45
Probably some good banking/legal reason - but in the current situation I would not have thought that it was a particularly safe option with the possibility of some TAs going bust.
From a banking/money laundering perspective, the funds should be paid back to the original source of the money. However, in the current situation, if money went back to the travel agent, the customer would have to wait even longer for their money. (or, as you say, risk the travel agent going bust) I suppose P & O feel they are doing the next best thing by sending a crossed cheque to the lead passenger at the address registered on P&O's records. The are doing their best to make sure the money goes back to the original payee. Or they could phone the lead passenger, do security questions to establish they have the right person and get the lead passenger's bank account details.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

MaureenB wrote: 23 May 2020, 14:18
That is good Moby. May I please ask. Did you book the cruise and Hotel add-on directly with P & O thus paying them directly. Or did you book through a T/A and pay in full to the T/A? I am thinking that in my case as I booked through a T/A (Bolsover)and paid in full to the T/A by credit card and they then forwarded onward to P & O that I will have to accept a cheque in refund. P & O would not know my credit card details.

I am annoyed with myself for not thinking about that until the last couple of days. I have spent my entire working life in top flight finance and I never once thought it through properly. Grrrrr

Many thanks
We booked through a TA, Bath Travel as was / Hays Travel as is.

A package of a Worldie Segment plus convenient flights with Hotels at both ends of the Cruise was agreed with P&O and the due sum was paid to the TA by Debit Card. Only the excursion and deposit values were refunded by Credit Card. Would add that I would not have wished to have a five figure sum credited to my Credit Card hence the final payment by Debit Card.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thank you Moby for that info. I am just as confused as before! Your experience rather shoots down my theory. Even though you paid by Debit card you still paid through your T/A but P & O were able to pay the refund back to your bank account. Seems there must be a way that P & O have access to the T/A's system.

Oh well, there is nought I can do to speed this thing up so I guess I'll have to be patient for a while longer.

Best wishes

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

MaureenB wrote: 24 May 2020, 15:50
Thank you Moby for that info. I am just as confused as before! Your experience rather shoots down my theory. Even though you paid by Debit card you still paid through your T/A but P & O were able to pay the refund back to your bank account. Seems there must be a way that P & O have access to the T/A's system.

Oh well, there is nought I can do to speed this thing up so I guess I'll have to be patient for a while longer.

Best wishes

Maureen
If I remember correctly I authorised the TA, in their Office, to provide the Banking details ( which they still had on file ) to P&O to enable them to refund the due sum into the appropriate Account. We are however talking 2013 rather than 2020.

:wave:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Oh I was under the impression that was a fairly recent transaction.
Systems may be different now.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Did you get any notification of your refund Moby, or was it a case of coming across it when randomally checking you bank statement.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 25 May 2020, 08:04

Did you get any notification of your refund Moby, or was it a case of coming across it when randomally checking you bank statement.
My recollection is that ....

The TA had basically advised me, face to face, that a refund had been agreed with P&O.

It was an instant electronic transfer for the Debit Card refund which was verbally confirmed at the time but an online check was done by me to satisfy my need to know that it had gone through properly.

I didn't check the Credit Card refunds until the next Statement pitched up and all was well.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 25 May 2020, 08:16
Stephen wrote: 25 May 2020, 08:04

My recollection is that ....

The TA had basically advised me, face to face, that a refund had been agreed with P&O.

It was an instant electronic transfer for the Debit Card refund which was verbally confirmed at the time but an online check was done by me to satisfy my need to know that it had gone through properly.

I didn't check the Credit Card refunds until the next Statement pitched up and all was well.
Moby, your refund process from a few years ago has no real comparison with todays multi thousand refunds being processed, and P&O/Carnival dragging their heels to try to conserve as much cash in the business as they can.
John

Return to “Facebook Feed”