any ideas which ships carnival want to dispose of

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

any ideas which ships carnival want to dispose of

Post by poole boy »

has anyone heard any whispers about which ships carnival are looking to dispose of

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: any ideas which ships carnival want to dispose of

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I've heard of one or two in the Carnival fleet itself and one of Costa's. Not heard any mention yet of P&O. But if any go it'll be the older/smaller ones at risk.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes I think that's the one I saw.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Of the ' White Sisters ' the old Adonia has long gone therefore Oceana will be next ... is my guess.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Manoverboard wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 16:16
Of the ' White Sisters ' the old Adonia has long gone therefore Oceana will be next ... is my guess.
That would be a shame, there is something about Oceana that makes it more friendly

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It's probably that or Aurora and I'd much prefer to keep the latter.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Kendhni wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 16:42
That would be a shame, there is something about Oceana that makes it more friendly
I agree. We also really enjoyed being on them, both of them, and have many happy memories but are they past their sell buy date carbon free / efficiency wise.

We may not be cruising these days but I do hope that P&O continue with their Med based round robin type Cruises a la Ocean Village in the beautiful Greek Islands.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 30 Jun 2020, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Adonia or Sea Princess is still part of the Princess fleet and operating mainly in Australia and the S Pacific, and Oceana is the youngest of the 4 Sun class ships.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 17:02
Adonia or Sea Princess is still part of the Princess fleet and operating mainly in Australia and the S Pacific, and Oceana is the youngest of the 4 Sun class ships.
The old Adonia and Oceana were, I have long believed, built at the same time and were re-united in Madeira for the one and only time ... we were on Adonia at that historical moment.

Perhaps Oceana will be going to Australia as well but in this climate she ( or a n other ) will be sold on, imo.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

It’s a shame when some of the older ships move on to their new resting places as they hold so many memories for so many…I’m not so sure the new ships will every retains such memories?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I’ve thought for a while that Oceana and Aurora will leave P&O by 2025 or thereabouts.

I’ve had some very memorable cruises on both ships. I did my Panama Canal transit and my 35 night USA and Caribbean cruise on Oceana and did my first cruise on Aurora and two legs of a world cruise in 2017 and the USA and Canada cruise in 2018.

I’m not quite so bothered about Oceana going, but always imagined that I’d have at least one more cruise on Aurora before she left. In the current climate, I can’t help wondering if she’ll go before I get a chance to sail on her again.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I think Oceana will go followed by Aurora. I like Aurora and was supposed to be sailing on her last April.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Whynd1 wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 17:47
I think Oceana will go followed by Aurora. I like Aurora and was supposed to be sailing on her last April.
That would be logical in build order. 1999 versus 2000. The sad thing is in the current climate any that do go are unlikely to find buyers and more likely be scrapped.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Kendhni wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 16:42

Ditto, Oceana is my favourite P&O ship; no idea why - there's just something about her.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Eventually all the ships smaller than Azura will be fazed out.
The larger, greener ships will take over.
Shame because we personally love the smaller ships but the writing is on the wall.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 17:51
The sad thing is in the current climate any that do go are unlikely to find buyers
Not sure about that - China is the expanding cruise market and seems to be where Carnival are "redeploying" their old ships.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I guess that depends how many hit the market at the same time. Are you going to start a story that the Chinese man made CV so they could get a few cheap ships?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 19:16
Are you going to start a story that the Chinese man made CV so they could get a few cheap ships?
That's a good one - never thought of that :thumbup:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

If P&O did sell Aurora they would be getting rid of one of their smaller ships that is Adult Only, which would only leave Arcadia as Adult Only. I can't see one of the larger ships becoming Adult Only, what does everyone else think? Are Adult Only ships still important in their business calculations? Maybe not I don't know.

Carole

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I think they will remain important for as long as this generation of Golden Oldies can continue to cruise. Thereafter it is likely to go the way of an all inclusive Disney Fun Park to secure bums on seats and plenty of paying passengers.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think what is probably more to the point is that we do not know what the impact of Covid-19 will be on the cruise industry so adult only in the short term is anyone's guess but long term they will be a thing of the past

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

If things had been normal, I would have imagined that Aurora, Oceana and Arcadia would have left the fleet by the mid 20's

Ships like Azura and Ventura would be regarded as mid sized ships by then, so I imagined that Azura might have become adult only.

I think adult only is a selling point, but if you cruise out of the main season, most sailings are virtually adult only, with only a handful of children.

Up until now, the older generation has been a core market, and I think they would have still catered for that market, but evolving for the requirements of the new older generation as they mature into their 60s and 70s.

But now, who knows, It's difficult for them to plan for a few months ahead, let alone a few years.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Gill W wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 15:52
If things had been normal, I would have imagined that Aurora, Oceana and Arcadia would have left the fleet by the mid 20's

Ships like Azura and Ventura would be regarded as mid sized ships by then, so I imagined that Azura might have become adult only.

I think adult only is a selling point, but if you cruise out of the main season, most sailings are virtually adult only, with only a handful of children.

Up until now, the older generation has been a core market, and I think they would have still catered for that market, but evolving for the requirements of the new older generation as they mature into their 60s and 70s.

But now, who knows, It's difficult for them to plan for a few months ahead, let alone a few years.
Yes with you on that. We have cruised adult only but it is not a specific choice for us. We normally go out of school hols too and as you say the children are virtually invisible.

Since our trip with Saga on Discovery earlier this year they now register on the radar, and of course they only allow children over 40, and that is if they're with another child over 50!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 15:52

I have to agree with you Gill about out of season sailings, we did Aurrora last April and the age profile was possibly younger than our Ventura roundtrip Caribbean cruise in January.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”