Will you be cruising in 2021

Any general cruise line chat

Will you be cruising or considering cruising in 2021 ?

Spring 2021 YES
11%
Spring 2021 NO
10%
Spring 2021 Maybe
7%
Summer 2021 YES
13%
Summer 2021 NO
7%
Summer 2021 Maybe
8%
Autumn 2021 YES
10%
Autumn 2021 NO
8%
Autumn 2021 Maybe
8%
Winter 2021 YES
5%
Winter 2021 NO
9%
Winter 2021 Maybe
5%

Total votes: 101

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Will you be cruising in 2021

Post by allatc »

What are your cruise plans for 2021 ?
Last edited by allatc on 06 Jul 2020, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Will you be cruising in 2021

Post by allatc »

Are you planning to cruise in 2021 ?

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

I do have one booked in late September but I'm not at all sure I will go.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Only if things go back to something much nearer normal, presumably as a result of a vaccine/effective treatment.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Unlikely because my wife doesn't like cruising :cry:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Why, wozit gotta doo wiv youw.......and yes, all things being equal, summer 2021 :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Jul 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We were having the devil of a job getting suitable insurance cover before the pandemic so it's a ' No ' x 4 from me.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve got a big family cruise booked in August 2021 - son and wife married 25 years, granddaughter 18 and the in-laws 60th wedding anniversary so fingers crossed but insurance may be an issue for them - age and health principally and more than anything we have to be happy with any restrictions. We do also have Christmas 2020 booked but things are not looking good for that cruise - Iona is yet to be launched :lolno:
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 16:54
Why, wozit gotta doo wiv youw.......and yes, all things being equal, summer 2021 :thumbup:
Because the way things are going on the silly thread, knee-capping and all that, l'll be needing her to push me onto any cruise l'll be going on......see what you've done....it's all your fault :thumbdown:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We are booked for March and September next year and really hoping we will get away. Fingers crossed.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We have 3 booked in 2021, Iona February, and Britannia July and October. We are hoping to go on all of them if possible, but accept that as we do tend to spend lots of time in the cabin and on the balcony, the possible restrictions won't be as much of a problem for us, as they might for other people.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Hoping to go in April 2021 but depends on what is happening by December when balance is due. Also have one booked in August 2021 so that should be OK - I hope. All subject to insurance.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We have substantial cruise credits from Princess that resulted from our curtailed February cruise and then used for one in the June that has just passed so we intend to spend them on one next June to Spitsbergen.

Most things should have settled down by then. If they haven’t then the world will be in a big mess.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Transferred one from October to 31 May, have fly cruise Sept. Hopefully all being well.🤞
Mel

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We transferred a cancelled cruise to one in October 2021. By then things should have settled down but nevertheless with a balcony there's a good option for social distancing and as we are not ones for swimming, sunbathing, jacuzzering etc we won't miss those. But how will we cope if there is no scrum for the on-board table sales?!!!!
Last edited by oldbluefox on 06 Jul 2020, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I think you know in your hearts that unless a vaccine is produced none of you will be going on a cruise next year. I personally believe a vaccine will be found come early next year :thumbup: if not a vaccine, then a drug that drastically reduces the chances of dying from the virus. Under theses circumstances I would consider taking a cruise if I can get my wife to join me,

What I can tell you for certain is that whether it is a cruise abroad or a holiday at home I won’t be taking either until such time that face makes are not required…in the mean time keep wearing those masks and don’t chance your luck other than an enjoyable flutter on the gee gees.

Be safe, stay lucky.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I have three cruises books for 2021, in March, May and October.

I selected 4 x maybe, because there’s so many variables. But, at present I lean towards probably not, rather than definitely will.

Cruise ships are a closed community, so it’s an environment that viruses can easily be spread.

The cruise companies will have to adopt all the social distancing and restrictions that we have on land, but even more rigorously at sea. It’s difficult to see how this type of environment will be anything like the relaxing break we have enjoyed over the years.

That’s not to mention other issues such as ports accepting ships, local lock downs and what happens on board if someone starts showing symptoms.

I would love to be able to think that meaningful cruising will start again next year, but I’m really struggling to see how it can happen. If there is a start, I think it will be on a limited basis, and I’m not sure I want to be a guinea pig!
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We have QM2 eastbound transatlantic booked for May but whether we go or cancel will depend on the state of the virus and/or insurance when the balance is due in Feb.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Many things will be different in the next three to six months and my guess is that social distancing will be almost non existent and life around the world will be back to 90% what it was before the pandemic.

If we wait for a vaccine before doing anything then some may well be in for a very long wait - that is if there ever is a vaccine - and if there is just think how long it will take to vaccinate the whole world.

Those who are pinning their hopes on a vaccine bear this in mind - no vaccine will work on everybody, there will be some for whom it will not work and even when the majority have been vaccinated it will be many years before Covid-19 is eliminated - if it ever is.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 21:33
Many things will be different in the next three to six months and my guess is that social distancing will be almost non existent and life around the world will be back to 90% what it was before the pandemic.

If we wait for a vaccine before doing anything then some may well be in for a very long wait - that is if there ever is a vaccine - and if there is just think how long it will take to vaccinate the whole world.

Those who are pinning their hopes on a vaccine bear this in mind - no vaccine will work on everybody, there will be some for whom it will not work and even when the majority have been vaccinated it will be many years before Covid-19 is eliminated - if it ever is.
True, David, but the point of the vaccine is not to protect every individual but to bring down the reproduction rate enough that it doesn’t readily spread.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 18:45
Hoping to go in April 2021 but depends on what is happening by December when balance is due. Also have one booked in August 2021 so that should be OK - I hope. All subject to insurance.

We are also booked for August 2021 David on Britannia. Which are you?
Last edited by Stephen on 07 Jul 2020, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:14
We are also booked for August 2021 David on Britannia. Which are you?
Arcadia to Iceland

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 00:03
but the point of the vaccine is not to protect every individual but to bring down the reproduction rate enough that it doesn’t readily spread.
I agree that vaccination is to create herd immunity" - the Oxford trial has stated that it may not be more than 80% effective which means that to get herd immunity of around 70% then you will need to vaccinate about 90% of the population which is a big ask.

The other point is that a vaccine could lead to a false sense of security.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

The Med in late June for Mrs Bs birthday.
We will not be going there or anywhere else abroad if restrictions are still ongoing.
We’ll take mini breaks in the U.K. instead.
I don’t want to be rushed round the Vatican or anywhere else in a face mask.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 21:33

The initial availability of a vaccine will depend on which country produces it first, if you go by Trumps example that is, but if we manage to produce a vaccine, I can’t see why there should be much problem distributing it or its formula to do so around the world.. I think it was the health secretary who said plans were already underway to get any vaccine out at the speed of a thousand gazelles ( now where have I heard that before?) but if we take him at his word with proper organization and availability of the vaccine the majority of the vulnerable groups could be done in a couple of weeks….we are presently testing 100,000+ a day so how long is a tiny weeny injection going to take…. walk/drive through centres could be set up at every doctor’s surgery around the country.

Bring it on…but in the meantime keep wearing those masks and gloves :thumbup:

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”