Will you be cruising in 2021

Any general cruise line chat

Will you be cruising or considering cruising in 2021 ?

Spring 2021 YES
11%
Spring 2021 NO
10%
Spring 2021 Maybe
7%
Summer 2021 YES
13%
Summer 2021 NO
7%
Summer 2021 Maybe
8%
Autumn 2021 YES
10%
Autumn 2021 NO
8%
Autumn 2021 Maybe
8%
Winter 2021 YES
5%
Winter 2021 NO
9%
Winter 2021 Maybe
5%

Total votes: 101

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will you be cruising in 2021

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:50
we are presently testing 100,000+ a day so how long is a tiny weeny injection going to take
Bear in mind that a large proportion of those tests are "self" tests - not sure I would be doing a self vaccination!
walk/drive through centres could be set up at every doctor’s surgery around the country.
Certainly could, but it would need to be controlled and managed otherwise you would have 10,000 queueing up three days before they opened (and 10,000 is not an exaggeration - my GP has 17,000 registered patients)

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:57
we are presently testing 100,000+ a day so how long is a tiny weeny injection going to take
Bear in mind that a large proportion of those tests are "self" tests - not sure I would be doing a self vaccination!
walk/drive through centres could be set up at every doctor’s surgery around the country.
Certainly could, but it would need to be controlled and managed otherwise you would have 10,000 queueing up three days before they opened (and 10,000 is not an exaggeration - my GP has 17,000 registered patients)
Good point David…just a shame that it wouldn’t be deemed ethical to self-administer…I don’t have a problem with little pricks :o

I’m sure they could set up centres anywhere with a little forward planning…I’d even allow them to use my estate as a drive through centre…I might even throw in scones and cream (at a price) so they can make an afternoon of it. :thumbup: :wave:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Bring it on…but in the meantime keep wearing those masks and gloves :thumbup:
Over the weekend I was reading that wearing gloves is one of the best ways to spread the virus, if you notice when visiting any health surgery the doctors and nurses wear several pairs while attending to you. Shoppers will wear as few as possible and make one pair do for a full shop, god knows how many bugs could be transferred from one place to another. So wear a mask but no gloves, and wash your hands frequently.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:32

Over the weekend I was reading that wearing gloves is one of the best ways to spread the virus, if you notice when visiting any health surgery the doctors and nurses wear several pairs while attending to you. Shoppers will wear as few as possible and make one pair do for a full shop, god knows how many bugs could be transferred from one place to another. So wear a mask but no gloves, and wash your hands frequently.
Latex rather than Gardening I would assume.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

So wear a mask but no gloves, and wash your hands frequently.
Not totally convinced about the mask yet, but will wear one if required. Definitely no gloves but always have a hand sanitiser with me when out and use after touching anything - obviously not every item in the supermarket but once out then it gets used.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi John…I haven’t been inside a super market for 4 months but I do take your point, but wouldn’t you be spreading an equal amount of virus if you weren’t wearing gloves? When I go to the bookies, I wear gloves to pay and receive betting slip and winnings on occasions and then take gloves off before getting back into car. I also carry a hand sanitiser in my pocket.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:59

Hi John…I haven’t been inside a super market for 4 months but I do take your point, but wouldn’t you be spreading an equal amount of virus if you weren’t wearing gloves? When I go to the bookies, I wear gloves to pay and receive betting slip and winnings on occasions and then take gloves off before getting back into car. I also carry a hand sanitiser in my pocket.
The point really is that washing your hands frequently, especially while shopping, is much safer than wearing gloves and not changing them regularly.
John

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:45
So wear a mask but no gloves, and wash your hands frequently.
Not totally convinced about the mask yet, but will wear one if required. Definitely no gloves but always have a hand sanitiser with me when out and use after touching anything - obviously not every item in the supermarket but once out then it gets used.
Masks might protect others from your bugs, but not necessarily from someone not wearing a mask and in cose proximity for some time.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 08:39
Stephen wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:14
We are also booked for August 2021 David on Britannia. Which are you?
Arcadia to Iceland

Med for us.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 11:40
Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:59

The point really is that washing your hands frequently, especially while shopping, is much safer than wearing gloves and not changing them regularly.
Problem being...you don't see many wash basins while walking around shopping centres…another thing…if you sanitise your hands at every conceivable opportunity the produce you touch is going to get quite sticky after a time…that’s my thinking outside of the box done for today. :wave:
Last edited by Onelife on 07 Jul 2020, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I've just been looking to see how the voting is going and have to say that I am very surprised to discover that 14 out of 17 Members hope to be cruising by next Summer. I wish you well on those journeys and look forward to reading your Cruise Reports ... how different they could prove to be.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have two booked for 2021 on Arcadia..Both with an aft balcony cabin.
If there one thing to come out of all this it makes me realise that in case of any illness a balcony cabin is a must.
Will wait and see what happens in the next few months.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 12:29
I've just been looking to see how the voting is going and have to say that I am very surprised to discover that 14 out of 17 Members hope to be cruising by next Summer. I wish you well on those journeys and look forward to reading your Cruise Reports ... how different they could prove to be.
I ticked maybe because although booked, I’d be just as content to cancel if necessary.
Insurance cover will be a factor plus how much the destinations are open.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

barney wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 13:16
I ticked maybe because although booked, I’d be just as content to cancel if necessary.
I don’t know Barney...but I would have thought cruise providers will have to reduce prices initially as its going to be quite a competitive market out there…if this is the case then insurance premiums would I imagine be offset by theses reductions?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 13:28
I don’t know Barney...but I would have thought cruise providers will have to reduce prices initially as its going to be quite a competitive market out there…if this is the case then insurance premiums would I imagine be offset by theses reductions?
Not so much as about the cost of premiums at my age Keefy.
It's cheap as chips for us, with no medical conditions.
It's more about the level of cover.
I think that quite a few of the over zealous may be caught out by booking now for this summer abroad.

I don't know if policies are covering Covid as standard but it could work out an expensive trip if, for instance, you find yourself on a Greek island that needs to go into lockdown.
A week could easily turn into two or three and then you may have to isolate when you get back.

As for the cruise price, well, if they reduce the prices and we decide to travel, we may have to cancel, lose the deposit and rebook.
We've done that before but generally these days, the early price seems to be the best.
We got two weeks, balcony , end June into July in the Med for £1,329 pp. early booking.
I paid more than that ten years ago.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We've got a cruise booked for February 2021 balance due to be paid in December. Shall decide then whether we'll go or cancel and loose the deposit, the deposit was only £50pp.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

barney wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 14:53
Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 13:28

Not so much as about the cost of premiums at my age Keefy.
It's cheap as chips for us, with no medical conditions.
It's more about the level of cover.
I think that quite a few of the over zealous may be caught out by booking now for this summer abroad.

I don't know if policies are covering Covid as standard but it could work out an expensive trip if, for instance, you find yourself on a Greek island that needs to go into lockdown.
A week could easily turn into two or three and then you may have to isolate when you get back.

As for the cruise price, well, if they reduce the prices and we decide to travel, we may have to cancel, lose the deposit and rebook.
We've done that before but generally these days, the early price seems to be the best.
We got two weeks, balcony , end June into July in the Med for £1,329 pp. early booking.
I paid more than that ten years ago.
Yes’ Barney I was thinking myself about the extended unanticipated holiday packages…. I don’t think there can be any excuses or help for those who choose to take holidays knowing that they could well get stranded…. if they can get insurance for such eventualities then fair play to them but if they are blowing caution to the wind then they’ll have to ride out the storm themselves as far as I am concerned.

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

We’ve just booked a May British Isles cruise with Oceania.
Final payment due at end of Feb but can cancel for any reason by end of January with return of deposit.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Jun) Tunisia cancelled (Thomas Cook collapse)
(Mar) Caribbean cruise cancelled part way through (due to covid)
(Jun) Lindos cancelled (due to covid)
(Sep) Cape Verde cancelled (due to covid)
(Sep) Rhodes cancelled - replacement for cape verde (due to covid)
(Mar) UAE cruise cancelled (Oceana put up for sale)

Not having much luck here :)
We have replaced UAE cruise with Caribbean cruise next year and hopefully Med cruise in Sep will be OK as well.
Who knows - but I am not giving up on my cruising!

On the plus side we have never had so much money in our holiday fund.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 07:38
Not having much luck here
Can you give us full details of all of your holiday arrangements please - just so that we can avoid them :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

What with China and Brazil and the potential for a new strain of Covid year on year it surely spells the end of World Cruises as we knew them, and especially so if Ken & Julie book one :lol:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 08:14
Kendhni wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 07:38
Not having much luck here
Can you give us full details of all of your holiday arrangements please - just so that we can avoid them :lol:
I used to have a work colleague that would never get on a plane if I was on it. He was always a nervous flyer and I have had my fair share of minor incidents on flights. One evening I boarded a flight in Manchester, and he was sitting a couple of rows back (neither of us knew the other was on the same flight - we were working on different projects).

He actually got up and walked off the plane - he told me a few days later that he had got a hire car and driven up to the ferry to get home. And before you ask no, we were and still are good friends ... but he will not get on any plane that I am on.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We are due to go on the South America Cruise in January on Aurora- at the moment it looks doubtful....

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

you need a no to all option on your poll!

I think we are cruised out for the time being (praps forever) - pandemic having nowt to do with it - decision had already been made
Meg
x

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”