Topics that are specific to cruising

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: any ideas which ships carnival want to dispose of

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 16:02
Gill W wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 15:52
If things had been normal, I would have imagined that Aurora, Oceana and Arcadia would have left the fleet by the mid 20's

Ships like Azura and Ventura would be regarded as mid sized ships by then, so I imagined that Azura might have become adult only.

I think adult only is a selling point, but if you cruise out of the main season, most sailings are virtually adult only, with only a handful of children.

Up until now, the older generation has been a core market, and I think they would have still catered for that market, but evolving for the requirements of the new older generation as they mature into their 60s and 70s.

But now, who knows, It's difficult for them to plan for a few months ahead, let alone a few years.
I have to agree with you Gill about out of season sailings, we did Aurrora last April and the age profile was possibly younger than our Ventura roundtrip Caribbean cruise in January.
Yes that's true too. Probably not too many younger people can afford the time off work to do 28 or 35 nights.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I’ve seen quite a lot of comments from various sources in the last couple of days saying that Oceana is to leave the P&O fleet.

Oceana was to be at Port of Tyne until mid September, but she has returned to Southampton, fuelling speculation that she is going to be ‘stripped’ before leaving P&O.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 21:34
... Oceana was to be at Port of Tyne until mid September, but she has returned to Southampton, fuelling speculation that she is going to be ‘stripped’ before leaving P&O.
That suggests Oceana will be scrapped, is that what the jungle drums are saying ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

So ... it also seems Oceana will be ' sold on ', which, as with the sale of anything from a B&B to a large Caravan Park would include all the fixtures, fittings and everything that was used to operate that business by the previous owner .... better that than carting it off to their local landfill site.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I was never a fan of Oceana anyway.

I wonder which others in the group are for the chop.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It would sound logical.

Once cruising restarts there will certainly be excess capacity for a while and with Iona coming into the fleet there will be even more so Oceana going would make sense.

My guess is that she will be going to join Oriana at Carnival China

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It’s official - P&O have tweeted that Oceana will leave the fleet this month.

It doesn’t say where she’s going, but most people seem to think she’s being sold on.

This is sad news, but it was going to happen sooner or later. The current situation has probably made it happen sooner.

Although Oceana was not my favourite ship, I always enjoyed my cruises on her, including going through the Panama Canal for my 50th birthday, and the 35 night USA and Caribbean cruise in 2016. I always liked the atrium and loved Cafe Jardin for a casual and relaxed breakfast and lunch. We went there a lot on the 2016 cruise.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Losing Oceana would be a big shame. We shall never sail on Britannia or Iona so that only leaves Arcadia and Aurora for us. Aurora has never been the same since they got rid of the wooden relaxer chairs on the promenade deck.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I do wonder how long before we are all longing for that bygone era of smaller ships? Yes, they are still available but as with most things that are becoming increasingly rare, they come with a hefty booking fee.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 10:13
It doesn’t say where she’s going, but most people seem to think she’s being sold on.
david63 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 08:51
My guess is that she will be going to join Oriana at Carnival China

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Oceana was our least favourite ship. The cabins felt smaller and she didn't have a bar overlooking the bow or the stern, always our favourites on the other ships. In age she was the obvious target. A shame though for those who loved her and puts one of our favourites, Aurora, next in the firing line. Unlike QBob, for us there is more to Aurora than a few chairs!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, Aurora is a favourite of ours as well.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 11:11
Oceana was our least favourite ship. The cabins felt smaller and she didn't have a bar overlooking the bow or the stern, always our favourites on the other ships. In age she was the obvious target. A shame though for those who loved her and puts one of our favourites, Aurora, next in the firing line. Unlike QBob, for us there is more to Aurora than a few chairs!
The Promenade Deck is vital for us. Nothing else matters. We don’t ‘do’ bars or pubs but sitting outside in the evening with a drink or two can be quite pleasant.

Oceana has a forward-facing bar up to in front of the ‘funnek’.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 16:06
The Promenade Deck is vital for us. Nothing else matters. We don’t ‘do’ bars or pubs but sitting outside in the evening with a drink or two can be quite pleasant.

Yes but we like to see the sea ahead, such as Crow's Nest, or behind such as Planet Bar.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:19

Yes but we like to see the sea ahead, such as Crow's Nest, or behind such as Planet Bar.
I always found myself getting a bit queasy in both of them venues…even on calm sea days...and no, it wasn't the drink ;) :)
Last edited by Onelife on 07 Jul 2020, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Onelife wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:23

I always found myself getting a bit queasy in both of them venues…even on calm sea days...and no, it wasn't the drink ;) :)
We're fine most of the time, but yes not ideal on choppy days. High up and far forward or aft.

p.s. Lightweight

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Have you ever considered a career as a figurehead?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:42

Well our Merv is already a pin-up boy (well plus lovely Trish of course) - P&O owe him big time for the use they've made of his photo ;)
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:50
Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 17:42

Well our Merv is already a pin-up boy (well plus lovely Trish of course) - P&O owe him big time for the use they've made of his photo ;)

Yes, I've heard it's gone down a storm in the pub bar....next to the dart board ;) :)

Mrs Shiney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mrs Shiney »

Oceana will always have special memories for me, 6 cruises with Silver Shiney, and one more which was SS last cruise. For those that didn't know him, we scattered his ashes from the back of the promenade deck 2 years ago. I think.it was inevitable Oceana would be the next ship to go.

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

well 0ceana was the very first cruise ship we went on and we also celebrated our 25 wedding anniversary on her as well as other cruises so very sad but it is p&o job to decide these things but it almost certainly means that after Arcadia next year it will be time for us to say thanks and good bye to p&o and to return to Fred Olsen smaller ships we already have one booked for next September , as my doctor keeps telling me only the stupid would go on on the larger ships with all those passengers with all the risks of catching diseases his view.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

poole boy wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 16:50
it is p&o job to decide these things
More likely Carnival than P&O

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

your probably right david63 but its still sad who ever

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 18:44
poole boy wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 16:50
it is p&o job to decide these things
More likely Carnival than P&O
Perhaps they desperately need the money.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”