CMV News

Anything about any other cruise line and/or ship

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: CMV News

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Re Oceana commercial confidentiallity would have prevented them giving any clue she was leaving before the deal was finalised and signed.

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Manoverboard wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:25
cruisingtoski wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:16
Thanks for the advice about the CC route - I’m also going to ring the TA today and see what they say.
It’s just unbelievable that they can still take bookings two days before going into liquidation. I often book direct with the co but this time booked with a TA as it was a bit cheaper !
You are most welcome ... the staff taking bookings would have no idea at all that they were about to go bust and to cease trading would have to come from the very top. I guess they were counting the beans on a day by day / hour by hour basis and only when it looked utterly hopeless would they pull the plug ... so, cheer up, there's no point in you getting upset about it.

:wave:
I’ve just spoken to the TA and they assure me that I’m covered by ABTA and will definitely get my money back !
They will send a claim form in the next few days!
Also if all else fails there is as you say the CC route
Thanks again for your reassuring comments
Denise

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I'm sorry to see CMV go. With P&O obviously looking for a younger market on ever larger ships we are looking more closely than ever at those who use smaller ships, especially those cruising out of ports other than Southampton. CMV did some interesting itineraries so it's a shame they have folded.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

How to claim if you have a booking with CMV

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/

Brian

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Sad news.

I installed some electronic displays on the Magellan when she was first built in Aalborg in Denmark in 1985. She was in the early stages of being fitted out and was the first modern ship design for Carnival and was called ‘Holiday’. In the evenings when the shipyard workers had left I explored every inch of her.

No balconies, lots of kitsch and cabins that would have been small even on a cross channel ferry.

I wonder what will become of her.
Last edited by Quizzical Bob on 21 Jul 2020, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

cruisingtoski wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 10:06
cruisingtoski wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:16
Thanks for the advice about the CC route - I’m also going to ring the TA today and see what they say.
It’s just unbelievable that they can still take bookings two days before going into liquidation. I often book direct with the co but this time booked with a TA as it was a bit cheaper !
You are most welcome ... the staff taking bookings would have no idea at all that they were about to go bust and to cease trading would have to come from the very top. I guess they were counting the beans on a day by day / hour by hour basis and only when it looked utterly hopeless would they pull the plug ... so, cheer up, there's no point in you getting upset about it.

I’ve just spoken to the TA and they assure me that I’m covered by ABTA and will definitely get my money back !
You are indeed but so are a zillion others from the passengers to the feller that brings the morning papers. The list should be made available to you by the Administrators but you are right at the bottom of it. I took this route and waited for over a year. Head straight to your Credit Card Issuer .... please.

Doing so does not negate your ABTA claim but make sure you have registered a claim and keep the reference number.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 21 Jul 2020, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Manoverboard wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 11:03
cruisingtoski wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 10:06

You are indeed but so are a zillion others from the passengers to the feller that brings the morning papers. The list should be made available to you by the Administrators but you are right at the bottom of it. I took this route and waited for over a year. Head straight to your Credit Card Issuer .... please.

Doing so does not negate your ABTA claim but make sure you have registered a claim and keep the reference number.
Thanks for that I will get in touch with my CC co - it does sound a better option
Denise

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I booked direct with CMV, and the ABTA guidance notes told me to claim from the credit card provider.

I've made my claim this morning, by an online form. The form was a little fiddly to complete, but not too bad. I've submitted it electronically, along with the supporting documentation. Now I just wait.

It's been a morning of refunds. I was due to go to the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury to see Les Miserables in October, but this has been rescheduled to October 2021 when I'm due on Queen Victoria. I've cancelled the theatre tickets and they are sending a refund - but I'm not 100% sure that the QV cruise will proceed / whether I'll be on it.
Gill

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

It's very sad that CMV have ceased trading. We were going on Columbus to the Baltic later this week until the cruise was cancelled. I made the decision not to pay the balance (due on April 25th) and accepted the Company's offer of a credit note for the £400 deposit. Now I'll have to wait for my Bank to refund the money via "charge-back". They'll get it from ABTA in the long run, of course. Let's hope we will still be able to cruise on Azura next May!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

bassman67 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 09:50
It's very sad that CMV have ceased trading. We were going on Columbus to the Baltic later this week until the cruise was cancelled. I made the decision not to pay the balance (due on April 25th) and accepted the Company's offer of a credit note for the £400 deposit. Now I'll have to wait for my Bank to refund the money via "charge-back". They'll get it from ABTA in the long run, of course. Let's hope we will still be able to cruise on Azura next May!
...or Britannia for us next July

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Or us in January to South America 😳

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

8-) It's not just me that's optimistic for next year, then!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

bassman67 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 18:47
8-) It's not just me that's optimistic for next year, then!
I’m really not sure about next year.
We have one booked for late June which means we have a decision to make after Xmas.
If the countries visited still have restrictions, I don’t think we’ll bother.
Insurance is also a potential issue.
Not the cost but the level of cover.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I’ve just seen on the Cruise Critic forum that Princess have cancelled up until December 15th ( although most of their ships are homeported in the US.

My next cruise is Iona, next March. As I booked through a travel agent, the balance is due in November.

Before I part with any more money, I’d want to know what I could expect from the onboard experience and what would happen if passengers or crew were found to have C19. There’s also my general level of confidence with P&O, which is low at the moment. I don’t want to pay them a large sum of money, then the cruise doesn’t proceed and I then have to wait an eternity for the money back.

On balance, it’s looking increasingly unlikely that I’ll be on that cruise.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 13:10
Or us in January to South America 😳
One's DIL works for a Travel Company who arrange bespoke tours all over the World. She advised us at the weekend that all the South American tours have been suspended for 2021 ufn due to the high CV risk.

Not what you wanted to hear of course but I feel it's best to be open about such things.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

What the cruise lines won't want to happen is a start/stop return as this would be enormously expensive . Unless a vaccine comes avaliable you'll be better off booking a tin-can in Dorset somewhere...apparently they do a very good click and collect service. :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 08:30
What the cruise lines won't want to happen is a start/stop return as this would be enormously expensive . Unless a vaccine comes avaliable you'll be better off booking a tin-can in Dorset somewhere...apparently they do a very good click and collect service. :thumbup:
Crushingly good actually :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

But not for incomers

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Onelife wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 08:30
I hope it's better than that cheapo face mask you palmed off on me..................
rsz_army.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:39
I hope it's better than that cheapo face mask you palmed off on me..................
Have you thought about it being your new avatar OBFM ( Old Blue Face Mask :roll: )

Last edited by Manoverboard on 23 Jul 2020, 09:50, edited 2 times in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:43
oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:39
Have you thought about it being your new avatar OBFM ( Old Blue Face Mask :roll: )

You never did like my new avatar.................... :cry:
But I hear Blackburn, Derby and Stoke are nice places to visit this time of year..................and Huddersfield!!! :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Gill W wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 23:19
I’ve just seen on the Cruise Critic forum that Princess have cancelled up until December 15th ( although most of their ships are homeported in the US.

My next cruise is Iona, next March. As I booked through a travel agent, the balance is due in November.

Before I part with any more money, I’d want to know what I could expect from the onboard experience and what would happen if passengers or crew were found to have C19. There’s also my general level of confidence with P&O, which is low at the moment. I don’t want to pay them a large sum of money, then the cruise doesn’t proceed and I then have to wait an eternity for the money back.

On balance, it’s looking increasingly unlikely that I’ll be on that cruise.
Not all Princess cruises are cancelled up to December 15th but I doubt that much will be going on before then.

“All cruises sailing in and out of Australia on Majestic Princess, Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, and Sun Princess through October 31, 2020

All sailings in Asia, Caribbean, California Coast, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, South America & Antarctica, Japan, and Tahiti/South Pacific through December 15, 2020”

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_a ... -2020.html

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:49
I hear Blackburn
Should be well at home there as it is the next Covid-19 hotspot after Leicester :crazy: :crazy:

Clophill4
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Clophill4 »

Some parts of Luton added to the "Everybody Get Tested" list. Uncomfortably close to my South Beds location

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:49
You never did like my new avatar.................... :cry:
But I hear Blackburn, Derby and Stoke are nice places to visit this time of year..................and Huddersfield!!! :thumbup:
Your new avatar is brill even though it does remind me a little of ' Joe 90 ' :lol:

Places that are probably nicer than say Wolverhampton, Burnley and Leicester .... surely :angel:

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”