Off on a break!

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Off on a break!

Post by CaroleF »

We are going for a few nights to a hotel, not Warners which is why I haven't put this under that heading. A year ago we had just set out on the Aurora Canada/USA cruise and that is when John's Vasculitis - at that point undiagnosed - began to rear its head, so much so that we were shipped off to a hospital in St John's Newfoundland for a day and after much arguing were allowed back on the ship to complete the cruise. Eventually by the end of October it was diagnosed as Vasculitis and not Polymyalgia which was the previous diagnosis - we're not complaining it's apparently very difficult to diagnose and only about 5 people in every 100,000 are diagnosed with it each year. Anyway after lots of treatments, infusions, tests, consultations, hospital visits etc. John is improved from how he was at the beginning of the year. He's not cured, it's not curable but it can be kept under control.

So a couple of months ago, once things began to relax a little after Lockdown ended we decided to try to book a few nights away - John's Consultant agreed. So we're off to Gloucestershire to a hotel that seems to have taken all possible precautions - I've already checked in using the hotel's app - very efficient. We decided to treat ourselves and book a large room so that when John needs to have a rest, which he does most days, it will be a comfortable place for us both to be. As for me, I'll have four whole days when I don't have to cook, think of planning meals, shopping orders etc. Quite a treat. We've also booked a trip on the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire Heritage steam railway. We get our own compartment - just like the old days with a corridor running down outside the compartment. We can also order a snack lunch which will be delivered to us, really looking forward to that trip. I've booked somewhere for a lunch on the way to Gloucestershire - not sure you can just stop at pubs these days. I'd rather know what sort of precautions they are taking before I book somewhere.

I'll let you know how it is when we return. The weather looks set fair for the next few days so hopefully it'll be a lovely, safe break. Never had to go away packing masks and anti viral foam before!

Carole

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Off on a break!

Post by Kendhni »

Have a great time away and a few days relaxing.
Send our best to John.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Have a lovely time Carole 👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

How lovely for you and John to get away - enjoy :thumbup:
Janis

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Have a nice time.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are currently in Devon. Weather is mixed but not bothered. Just nice to get away and have a change of scenery.

Have a good time Carole. :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Sep 2020, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 13:03
We are currently in Devon. Weather is mixed but not bothered. Just nice to get away and have a change of scenery.

Where’s you at ?
Just so I know where to avoid 😂

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

I live very near to the Heritage Railway its great fun and you will see some great views, if you have time try and get to Stanton and Stanway great little places. So much to see.
Have a great time.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

barney wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 14:40

Where’s you at ?
Not hard to find out Barney.....it'll be where the queues start trying to get out of Devon. :thumbup: :angel:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Where’s you at ?

The back of beyond in Dalwood, East Devon.
Don't panic barney, I've told them to keep the North Devon riff raff out :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 15:17

Where’s you at ?
Not hard to find out Barney.....it'll be where the queues start trying to get out of Devon. :thumbup: :angel:

The queu is already 25 miles long on the 303 :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Trip Advisor says they have 159 reviews from ' travellers ' in Dalwood .... posh init :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I thought it was because of Covid all the shutters and closed signs shot up, but I'm beginning to have my doubts :think:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 15:36
Trip Advisor says they have 159 reviews from ' travellers ' in Dalwood .... posh init :lol:
You can't move for pikey's. :D
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Sep 2020, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We came past there a fortnight ago.
It’s a lovely part of Devon but a bit too near to England for our taste.
Enjoy 👍

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Have a lovely break away Carole.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Are you in room 7007 at your Hotel ? :wave:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Ignore them Carole. :lol:
Have a great time. :problem: :wave:

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We're going near Tewkesbury so Devon and Dorset are safe! Thanks for all the good wishes. It's such a long time since I packed to go anywhere, I'd forgotten all the - Do we really need all that - Do you know how heavy that case is? My answer is, Yes we do - would you like to do the packing yourself? Last one not a good option as goodness knows what he'd pack and what he'd miss out.

I just said to John - Do you know what I'm looking forward to doing tomorrow? Nothing! By that I mean I'm looking forward to getting up, having breakfast served and then enjoying the rest of the day sat reading, having the odd cup of coffee - Nespresso machine provided - wonderful! Oh, then a snack lunch, more reading. Dinner served with some wine, maybe a cocktail before dinner - it all sounds lovely to me! Then on Wednesday we're off to the train.

I really hope all will go smoothly and it will do John good to not be able to do the sort of work he's been exhausting himself with lately - long story, tell it another time. Will report on the hotel and places we visit on our return.

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

CaroleF wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 10:12
We're going near Tewkesbury so Devon and Dorset are safe! Thanks for all the good wishes. It's such a long time since I packed to go anywhere, I'd forgotten all the - Do we really need all that - Do you know how heavy that case is? My answer is, Yes we do - would you like to do the packing yourself? Last one not a good option as goodness knows what he'd pack and what he'd miss out.

I just said to John - Do you know what I'm looking forward to doing tomorrow? Nothing! By that I mean I'm looking forward to getting up, having breakfast served and then enjoying the rest of the day sat reading, having the odd cup of coffee - Nespresso machine provided - wonderful! Oh, then a snack lunch, more reading. Dinner served with some wine, maybe a cocktail before dinner - it all sounds lovely to me! Then on Wednesday we're off to the train.

I really hope all will go smoothly and it will do John good to not be able to do the sort of work he's been exhausting himself with lately - long story, tell it another time. Will report on the hotel and places we visit on our return.

Carole
:D :wave:

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

The Fleet Inn at Twyning is quite close to Tewkesbury. Riverside with outdoor seating. Nice place when the weather is good. Lunch spot ?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I would have 50p on Carole booking the ' Hilton Puckrup Hall ', Tewkesbury :shh:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 10:59

Carole
:D :x:
It sounds like you are doing it in style Carole: :thumbup: ....much more so than Stephen who probably settled for a pepsi, burger n chips for his fine dinning experience. :lol:
Last edited by Onelife on 07 Sep 2020, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 12:54
Stephen wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 10:59

Carole
:D :x:
It sounds like you are doing it in style Carole: :thumbup: ....much more so than Stephen who probably settled for a pepsi, burger n chips for his fine dinning experience. :lol:

Steady on, I don't go that posh. It's sandwiches out of brown paper while parked in a lay-by if we really push the boat out.

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Shall we say things didn't pan out how we hoped. The hotel was fine except it was very much orientated towards golf - it did have its own golf course so not surprising. It was supposed to be 5*, I would say it was more like 4-5. It did have a spa but apart from that the restaurant wasn't really what I'd expect in a 5* hotel. The food was ok, quite eclectic, strange mixtures but maybe that's just not to my taste. Breakfast was a bit of a mismash, part table service, if you could find a server, part buffet but you weren't supposed to touch the buffet offerings but some people did. The room service menu was very similar to the restaurant menu. We had what they call a suite, there were six suites and it turned out that only two were what I'd really call full suites and they looked magnificent from the pictures - no we didn't have one. Ours was more like a largish bedroom and a large bathroom. Certainly all the Covid precautions were well carried out and we felt safe from that point of view.

Unfortunately John wasn't really well and his appetite was small. There were bits we enjoyed like the train journey I mentioned. John did manage a really long walk but that tired him. I eventually drove home a day early and the hotel were kind and didn't charge for the fourth night we'd booked. To cut a long story short John seemed to get worse and it ended up a week last Monday early morning with me having to call 999 and he was taken to hospital. A CT scan showed appendicitis which the doctors decided to treat with antibiotics to avoid an operation. Unfortunately the scan also showed up another problem - with his pancreas - not what you want to hear. My elder daughter is amazing and she has so many contacts it's untrue. A close school friend is an oncologist consultant in Southampton and she's been really helpful. Until yesterday things, although looking black, were being organised. It was decided that a biopsy of the pancreas was needed and with lots of help from various people it was organised within four days and John went in as a day patient yesterday to have the scan. He really didn't seem at all well yesterday morning. The biopsy was done. Then we had a text from him to say that although his temperature was normal on admission it was raised during the period of recovery and looked as if he was going to stay in. We then had four hours where we didn't know if they were going to keep him or not. He didn't sound good over the phone. Eventually just after 7 we heard they were admitting him overnight. This morning we've heard that he's having another CT scan and it may be that they have to take his appendix out after all. He won't be home today anyway. He's supposed to have an appointment with a Consultant Oncologist on Tuesday so whether that will happen I don't know. We're all trying to be a positive as possible but not easy. My two daughters are being wonderful! Of course in addition to the latest problems is the Vasculitis so that doesn't help.

Carole

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”