Not what I want

Topics that are specific to cruising

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Not what I want

Post by Manoverboard »

I would be concerned that a ship's aircon system does not have filters capable of preventing the spread of any virus let alone covid ... would this be a worry too far ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 10:41
I would be concerned that a ship's aircon system does not have filters capable of preventing the spread of any virus let alone covid ... would this be a worry too far ?
My understanding is that most cruise ships are now having HEPA filters installed, and increasing the fresh air throughput as well.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Doesn’t appeal at all John :(
Janis

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I can maybe shed some insight into this based on replies we got to similar concerns in relation to our office - under the proviso that ship based aircon may work totally differently.

We were told that HEPA filters were being fitted and updated throughout - but one person described that as using a trawler net to catch tadpoles. The air condition would be set to purely suck air in (so the windows had to be kept open - how this would work with filters was beyond me) and then blow it out through a single vent at the far side of the office, recycling of air was not going to be used.

Someone then said that that was all well and good throughout the summer but what about during winter. The answer we got was quite wooly but .... our aircon can heat and warm the air as it is sucked in, this would be done through a specific vent, not through the windows (which had to be closed), this air would then be filtered and deposited in specific areas of the office ... rest of the ducts would be set to remove this air and again blow it outside. A very very inefficient way to run aircon but it was the best they could do.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Kendhni wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 13:00
I can maybe shed some insight into this based on replies we got to similar concerns in relation to our office - under the proviso that ship based aircon may work totally differently.

We were told that HEPA filters were being fitted and updated throughout - but one person described that as using a trawler net to catch tadpoles. The air condition would be set to purely suck air in (so the windows had to be kept open - how this would work with filters was beyond me) and then blow it out through a single vent at the far side of the office, recycling of air was not going to be used.

Someone then said that that was all well and good throughout the summer but what about during winter. The answer we got was quite wooly but .... our aircon can heat and warm the air as it is sucked in, this would be done through a specific vent, not through the windows (which had to be closed), this air would then be filtered and deposited in specific areas of the office ... rest of the ducts would be set to remove this air and again blow it outside. A very very inefficient way to run aircon but it was the best they could do.
You have hit the note that I was playing ... as in, unless the entire cabin / gangway / ship is sealed there is no way that the virus cannot enter the so called ' filtered ' ship. I have no knowledge how it would get in but there will be plenty of glass and plastic surfaces returning from the Port as one illustration.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 21 Sep 2020, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I read somewhere a while ago that the issue with aircon, especially on ships, is the volume of air that is replenished. Traditionally on cruise ships it has been quite low - something around 30% if I remember correctly. On a plane the replenishment is much higher meaning that flying is a lot safer than sailing from the air freshness point of view.

Why cruise ships cannot, or will not, replace more air I don't know. It may be a cost factor or it may be the way the system has been designed.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

For balcony cabins I wish you could switch it off and on as required. I much prefer the balcony door open and fresh air.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I wedge a shoe in the door 😂
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:23
For balcony cabins I wish you could switch it off and on as required. I much prefer the balcony door open and fresh air.
My understanding has always been that if you leave the balcony door open then the cabin aircon turns off automatically.
Last edited by towny44 on 21 Sep 2020, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:59
My understanding has always been that if you leave the balcony door open then the cabin aircon turns off automatically.

It use to be like that but certainly not on our last cruise, and maybe even the one before.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:01
I read somewhere a while ago that the issue with aircon, especially on ships, is the volume of air that is replenished. Traditionally on cruise ships it has been quite low - something around 30% if I remember correctly. On a plane the replenishment is much higher meaning that flying is a lot safer than sailing from the air freshness point of view.

Why cruise ships cannot, or will not, replace more air I don't know. It may be a cost factor or it may be the way the system has been designed.
I am guessing it is cost, the cost to cool the air when cruising warmer climates or heat the air when cruising cooler climates?
When we first started cruising I remember the cruise ships being much cooler ... to the point that many of the ladies, in their strappy tops would complain. Over the years they seem to have increased the temperature to the point that strappy top adorned ladies are now comfortable while those of trussed up in suits, ties, cummerbunds, waistcoats etc. find it very uncomfortable (probably the primary reason why I no longer do formal evenings - so darned uncomfortable).

I have also heard issues about the quality of air on planes (but most of that dates back to about 20 years ago, I would like to think it is much better these days).

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 15:59
I think that is how it was meant to work but so many people used clothes pegs, bits of cardboard or a pair of Val's old knickers to override the switch that controlled the aircon resulting in many being broken. So guessing, based on Steven's answer, that the cruise line has just given up.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Kenhni if you are talking about cmv I can only say we had 4 excellent cruises with them and are very sad at there passing as although the cabins were not as good as p&o they were always clean and we found the food to be better than on p&o

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

allatc wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 15:14
On February 10th, before Coronavirus took off, I booked a Caribbean Fly cruise with P&O scheduled for February 2021.

The balance for this cruise becomes due at the end of October.

When I booked the cruise the expectancy was that it would be a "normal" (as in pre-covid normal) cruise.

It would seem now that the product I am given will be very different to that expected:-

I did not book :-

Expecting to wear a mask most of the time

Being served in the buffet as opposed to helping myself.

Only being able to go ashore on a ship's excursion

to be Socially Distancing

Having to book places in the theatre and other entertainment venues.

Is this sufficient cause to demand a refund of my deposit on the grounds that the product I ordered is significantly different to that being delivered.

If I ordered a dark blue Mercedes with leather upholstery, automatic gearbox and air conditioning and was told I was getting a red Mercedes with fabric upholstery, manual gearbox and no air conditioning I'm sure I would have no difficulty rejecting it.
At this point P&O haven't even said what their restart protocols are, although I feel sure that they will include the things you mentioned.

If you paid for your cruise you'd be buying blind, and that seems very unfair.

It seemed like an odd decision to keep the Caribbean season intact for February - I don't think there's any way they could seriously consider a restart with a load of fly cruises.

IN any event, the latest announcements from the government seem to indicate that we are battening down the hatches so the chances of the FCO suddenly saying cruising will be ok in February seem remote.

I just hope P&O cancels these Caribbean cruises sooner rather than later, so that people aren't left with the dilemma of whether to pay or not.

My Iona cruise is still scheduled from Southampton on 6th March. It would be be the first Iona sailing, but I can't see it happening. We will not be going on it, even if it does sail.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

poole boy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 10:03
Kenhni if you are talking about cmv I can only say we had 4 excellent cruises with them and are very sad at there passing as although the cabins were not as good as p&o they were always clean and we found the food to be better than on p&o
I thought CMV were very good. I'm sad to see their demise
Gill

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

We have deferred the cruise to February 2022. Very helpful T.A.

Hopefully the Covid situation will be sorted by then

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

poole boy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 10:03
I am not sure what you are referring to but I had always hoped to try CMV one day (neighbours of ours rated them very highly). Guess that is now an opportunity missed.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

I would expect p and o to issue the new protocols when the new brochure comes out in November - it’s the trips that will be the deal breaker for us

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I thought the same about November.
I don’t really know how it’s going to be managed until the vaccine is available.
I’m in two minds as to whether to transfer our deposit to a later cruise or just write it off.
At the moment, the latter seems favourite.
From my point of view, it’s the overall experience that’s important.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 12:57
I don’t really know how it’s going to be managed until the vaccine is available.
I’m in two minds as to whether to transfer our deposit to a later cruise or just write it off.

Same here.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I've already decided to not pay the full balance of my April canaries cruise on Arcadia,this is due at the end of December and to transfer the deposit to something else. Hoping the new cruises for 2022 have something interesting.
Also have a 19 night cruise booked in August so fingers crossed.

I agree with Stephen and Barney.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Good decision, Whynd1.

We have c£2.5k sitting in FCC with no chance of a refund and no plans to spend it for at least 12 months.

But we are alive and well and saving loads of money by doing nothing and going nowhere. :relaxed: :yawn:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

kaymar wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 09:58
Good decision, Whynd1.

We have c£2.5k sitting in FCC with no chance of a refund and no plans to spend it for at least 12 months.

But we are alive and well and saving loads of money by doing nothing and going nowhere. :relaxed: :yawn:
Love it kaymar ! :clap:
It's comments like that which make me wish that we had a like button on this forum.
Top class attitude.

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

barney wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 12:57
Looking at the current P&O booking conditions (if it is a P&O cruise you mention) it seems that you can defer more than once so you could defer to a Caribbean cruise in March 2022 and then defer again to a European cruise later in 2022 when they are published and then if you can't find anything at that point, 3 months prior to the cruise when the final payment is due, decide to forfeit your deposit.
Last edited by allatc on 09 Oct 2020, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I predicted a couple of months back that we would have a vaccine by Christmas and cruising would resume sometime around April/May 21.
Well it looks like my first prediction could be about right, however, having given my second prediction further thought l think l'll be needing to take another look at the tea leaves. If reports are correct the vaccine roll out will concentrate on the most vulnerable with a sliding scale of inoculation for the rest of us old foggies. What is not clear is where the cut off point comes with regard to who gets the vaccine and who doesn't. There is talk that the less vulnerable may not get the vaccine at all? This seems a sensible approach but it dose raise another question with regard to cruising. When you look at the staffing of cruise ships most would fall outside the suggested cut off point which then begs the question how can the cruise industry get around this. Something the cruise lines should be considering l would suggest.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”