Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
annethered
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Brand new cruiser - Victoria advice

Post by annethered »

Great to have found you all!
Hubby and I have never cruised before and we are thinking of booking Northern Lights cruise Nov 2021 on the Victoria.
We'll book a Britannia Balcony cabin but I wondered what was the best section of the ship to choose? The auto booking offered me Aft deck 4 but I have no idea at all what I should be looking for/considering.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Brand new cruiser - Victoria advice

Post by Manoverboard »

Best seat in the house, albeit only on the way back .... in normal times I would jump at it.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

annethered wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:15
Great to have found you all!
Hubby and I have never cruised before and we are thinking of booking Northern Lights cruise Nov 2021 on the Victoria.
We'll book a Britannia Balcony cabin but I wondered what was the best section of the ship to choose? The auto booking offered me Aft deck 4 but I have no idea at all what I should be looking for/considering.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I like Deck 4 - balconies are longer than other decks (part covered, part exposed) and handy for most of the public rooms. However, look at a deck plan - some of the forward balconies have metal fronts; they are marked on the plans. There's more movement forward and aft but as long as you don't mind that, it matters not. Not as much movement midships.

Have a brilliant trip - she's a lovely ship.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum annethered

I've never sailed on Victoria myself but here are the deck plans

https://www.cunard.jp/pdf/QV-deck-plans-2019.pdf
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Dec 2020, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We like Victoria. We always opt for mid ships cabins on any ship. Less motion if it does get choppy. Which it could in the North Atlantic and North Sea in winter.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Anne....pleased that you have found us...do ask any question you like about cruising as there is a wealth of experience on this forum. Since joining this forum l have my own personal cruise consultant....he's bit pricey :) but what Manoverboard doesn't know about cruising/destinations/excursions, I don't know about horse racing.

First cruises are very special especially from a balcony cabin.....enjoy!

Btw, I'm sending you a box of "welcome on board" keefy chocolates.....but please bear in mind delivery can be a bit hit and miss this time of the year...enjoy!

:wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

For your sake annethered let’s hope his virtual chocolates are a miss :D
Last edited by Stephen on 18 Dec 2020, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

annethered, we have not sailed on QV but have been on P&Os Arcadia, which is a close cousin, and had an aft balcony cabin on deck 4. Normally the recommended location is to have passenger cabins above and below, to avoid any noise from public rooms, but the deck 4 aft cabins are above the main dining room and we did not notice any noise at all. Most of the standard balcony cabins are the same size and, assuming they are like Arcadia, will have a bath with a shower over the bath, some on Arcadia only had a shower, so its well worth carefully checking the deck plans.
The only potential problem you may encounter is that cruising is very addictive, you won't want to disembark, and you will most likely be desperate to book your next cruise. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
annethered
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by annethered »

Oooh lots to think about but I feel in safe hands here!

Just another quick question. Is a higher deck better? Deck 8 is also an option.

And I'll eat any chocolates, virtual are admittedly better for the waistline!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The higher you go the more movement there is .... if you enjoy riding the big dipper than go high. Hi :thumbup:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

annethered wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 17:23

Its entirely up to you, but just be aware of what is above, or come to that also below or even on the same deck as you depending what deck you are on. To be on the safe side try and stick as much to mid ships to get your sea legs. At the end of the day we can all guide you on here but it will be experience that wins in the end. But keep the questions coming. :thumbup:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

annethered wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 17:23

Be careful about deck 8, this is just below lido deck and there could be lots of noise from sunbeds being put out early in the morning. My own choice would be deck 4, but that's my personal preference.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Anne…. from my limited cruise experience (none on Victoria) I would agree with Towny and Mob…best go 4 midship.
I’m not sure if this is the case with Victoria but generally speaking mid ship cabins tend to have a lift nearby which can be a useful when trying to find your way back to your cabin…. there will be times when you don’t know your bow from the stern especially when walking the identical corridors. One tip someone gave me is to look at the pattern of the carpet as a guide to which way you should be going.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Onelife wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 22:06
Hi Anne…. from my limited cruise experience (none on Victoria) I would agree with Towny and Mob…best go 4 midship.
Not midship on deck 4, these cabins are obstructed ocean view ones and not balconies/
I’m not sure if this is the case with Victoria but generally speaking mid ship cabins tend to have a lift nearby which can be a useful when trying to find your way back to your cabin…. there will be times when you don’t know your bow from the stern especially when walking the identical corridors. One tip someone gave me is to look at the pattern of the carpet as a guide to which way you should be going.

You need either fore or aft to have a balcony, I have no experience of the foreword cabins, but in either case I would go for one that is nearer to midships, although ours was probably closer to aft and we had no problems with the ships movement, even though we had quite a gale blowing one day.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 22:54
Not midship on deck 4, these cabins are obstructed ocean view ones and not balconies/

You need either fore or aft to have a balcony, I have no experience of the foreword cabins, but in either case I would go for one that is nearer to midships, although ours was probably closer to aft and we had no problems with the ships movement, even though we had quite a gale blowing one day.
I presume this is a specific reference to deck 4. On most decks there are plenty of midships balconies.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 23:40
towny44 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 22:54

I presume this is a specific reference to deck 4. On most decks there are plenty of midships balconies.
Yes, specifically only for deck 4, which was the initial cabin offered to the OP.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’m sure you are only trying to be helpful John but I don’t personally agree of editing someone’s original post, ie Onelifes. At least not without their permission. I leave that to the moderators.
Last edited by Stephen on 19 Dec 2020, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 07:58
I’m sure you are only trying to be helpful John but I don’t personally agree of editing someone’s original post, ie Onelifes. At least not without their permission. I leave that to the moderators.
It wasn't an edit Stephen it was a reply.
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Thank you, Stephen, I struggle to read my own writing without someone adding things to it…. but as you say John was only trying to clarify my mistakes…. it’s his hobby. :lol:

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

To Anethered : You are choosing an interesting year for your first cruise experience.
We are booked on Aurora in October and are still in two minds as to whether to cancel.
The cruise experience is likely to be very different from the "old normal".
What is putting us off at the moment is the inability to go DIY at the cruise ports, therefore being herded around on ship's tours, and the prospect of wearing masks and social distancing whilst on board.
If that is still the case in July, when our final payment is due we will cancel.
Last edited by allatc on 19 Dec 2020, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:49
Thank you, Stephen, I struggle to read my own writing without someone adding things to it…. but as you say John was only trying to clarify my mistakes…. it’s his hobby. :lol:
.... and mine :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :wave:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Bear in mind that any cruise to the Northern Lights can be his or miss as to what you see.

We spent several hours stood around at -15C looking at nothing!

Also remember that you will need plenty of "cold weather" gear.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

There was a lovely programme on TV last night with Jane McDonald doing Christmas cruises. In one she sailed up the Norwegian coast with Hurtigruten on Polarlys, hopefully to see the Northern Lights which, on this occasion, did not materialise. I must admit Hurtigruten looked a lot more appealing than I otherwise thought.
She also did a rather nice river cruise down the Rhine visiting Christmas markets which gave food for thought.
A few years ago Joanna Lumley did a similar cruise to Norway for the Northern Lights and she was disappointed too. I think you just have to be lucky.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Don't Hurtigruten guarantee that you will see the Northern Lights and if not you some (all?) of your money back

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:31
Onelife wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 09:49
.... and mine :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :wave:
I have noticed over recent months that you have been very lackadaisical in correcting my grammatical errors…you need to pull your socks up…Just saying! :D :wave:

Return to “Cunard”