Great news Carole x
Gill

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Cancelling a cruise

Post by CaroleF »

Well it took a long time but this week I have received two cheques from P&O via Bolsover, for the two deposits paid for two P&O cruises. No questions from P&O, didn't have to supply any evidence, like a Death Certificate just refunded without hesitation. I had wondered if I'd have to send a copy of the Certificate. Hargreaves Lansdown on the other hand with whom John had P&O shares want a copy of the Death Certificate and a Certified Copy of the Will - they are the only company who has asked for the latter. I've been undecided whether to have the shares transferred to my name or whether to just sell them. At the moment I can't visualise cruising again under the current proposed situation. I read this week that anyone travelling on their own would have to have all their meals alone and could only sit on their own in bars etc. That's not cruising! So who knows what I may feel like doing in a couple of years. So maybe I might just get rid of the shares. We had many times the amount we paid for the shares in On Board Credit so thankful that we - well John - bought them.

Carole

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

For what it’s worth It might be worth hanging onto the shares Carole, at least for a while as the price is quite low at the moment. You never know, in few years time when hopefully things are back to some sort of normality you may feel like giving cruising another go, even if it’s with a friend for company.
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Apr 2021, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I agree with Stephen, Carole.
Hang on to them for now.
The price is lowish, probably about £16 a share.
Once things pick up, they will almost guarantee to increase.
When I sold previously, it was about £45 a share if I remember correctly.
I bought some at about £11 when COVID kicked in and will sell when the price hits £30 , hanging on to 100 to get the OBC.
Empty vessels .. and all that

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

towny44 wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 00:03

Thanks for that info Jan, its what I expected would be the case, Pauline and I both have CCs in our own names but with the other holding a subsidiary card, and our bank account always has been a joint one. So that should help simplify some things when the time comes.
It does simplify things hugely - apart from premium bonds (and they released those without needing probate) we had everything in joint names, so I managed to avoid probate. After going through probate the previous year when my mother died, it was very much easier.

My deepest sympathies, Carol, and I hope you are getting the help you need from the banks etc.

Mrsvalb
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mrsvalb »

CaroleF wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 13:50
Well it took a long time but this week I have received two cheques from P&O via Bolsover, for the two deposits paid for two P&O cruises. No questions from P&O, didn't have to supply any evidence, like a Death Certificate just refunded without hesitation. I had wondered if I'd have to send a copy of the Certificate. Hargreaves Lansdown on the other hand with whom John had P&O shares want a copy of the Death Certificate and a Certified Copy of the Will - they are the only company who has asked for the latter. I've been undecided whether to have the shares transferred to my name or whether to just sell them. At the moment I can't visualise cruising again under the current proposed situation. I read this week that anyone travelling on their own would have to have all their meals alone and could only sit on their own in bars etc. That's not cruising! So who knows what I may feel like doing in a couple of years. So maybe I might just get rid of the shares. We had many times the amount we paid for the shares in On Board Credit so thankful that we - well John - bought them.

Carole
I had the same problem 3 years ago. I had to get probate for the shares for Hargreaves Lansdown and Virgin Money where my husband had one of his ISA’s.

I did sell the shares, because like you, I couldn’t see myself cruising again. The shares were at a good high price when I sold them, which obviously isn’t the case now.

For what it’s worth, I still can’t see myself cruising again, but we are all different.

Maybe hold on to the shares until they go up and make a decision then. It’s early days yet.

Val x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Carole, I would agree with the others, unless you need the money now I would hold onto the Carnival shares, at least until they recover some of their original value.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Carole just a word of advice - even though everything is in joint names I would suggest that you do get probate sooner rather than later. It is a doddle to do online and there are possible obstacles in the future and trying to do retrospective probate is a nightmare - believe me I have been there.

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks for that David. Probate won't be so easy for me I don't think. In order to do it I have to get a value for our business plus the property so that's going to take some time. I'm doing things in easy stages, that I feel I can cope with. My daughters are being amazing and have taken a lot of the phoning off my shoulders. Hopefully one day I may well feel like cruising again so I think, at the moment I will hang on to the shares. I think they were about £25 a share when John bought them but as I said we had so much in On Board Credit - over 25 cruises so it's been well worth it.

Carole

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”