Wish us luck

Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Wish us luck

Post by Happydays »

We've booked a FO cruise in August from Rosyth for five nights! It's got two ports of call Lerwick and the Faroe Isles

The price includes Fred's drinks package but it was the convenience of the cruise sailing from Rosyth that made us decide to give one of the earlish cruises a go as it's 30-40 minutes from where we live.
We haven't sailed from Rosyth before but should be easy and we didn't fancy having to go to Southampton for a short cruise.

Their guidelines at the moment are vaccinated passengers only. We have to have two LFT (days 8 and 3) before arriving at the port then another on the day before boarding if by some remote chance it's positive you get a FCC. You can dine in a bubble of six (or request an individual table) and those six you can meet up with to go to entertainment or sharing a table for a drink etc so I hope we like them :lol:

It's something to look forward to and I'm already trying to decide what to pack :crazy:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Wish us luck

Post by Stephen »

Happydays wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 15:06
We've booked a FO cruise in August from Rosyth for five nights! It's got two ports of call Lerwick and the Faroe Isles

The price includes Fred's drinks package but it was the convenience of the cruise sailing from Rosyth that made us decide to give one of the earlish cruises a go as it's 30-40 minutes from where we live.
We haven't sailed from Rosyth before but should be easy and we didn't fancy having to go to Southampton for a short cruise.

Their guidelines at the moment are vaccinated passengers only. We have to have two LFT (days 8 and 3) before arriving at the port then another on the day before boarding if by some remote chance it's positive you get a FCC. You can dine in a bubble of six (or request an individual table) and those six you can meet up with to go to entertainment or sharing a table for a drink etc so I hope we like them :lol:

It's something to look forward to and I'm already trying to decide what to pack :crazy:

Plenty of face masks for starters :)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Good luck, hopefully you get away. It will be fantastic to see the holiday industry, and especially cruises, opening up again

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Just watched BBC breakfast this morning coming from Rosyth showing Fred’s ships and what they need to do before sailing etc. Anyone else catch it? No doubt will be repeated a trillion times today ;)
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 08:43
Just watched BBC breakfast this morning coming from Rosyth showing Fred’s ships and what they need to do before sailing etc. Anyone else catch it? No doubt will be repeated a trillion times today ;)

Yes Jan, I saw that a well.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Our Fred ship round Scotland was fine, which one are you going on ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I saw it as well and it was good to see everything getting back up and running again. I hope all goes well.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The staff eating in the passenger dining rooms :shock: , how double dare they ;)

Esprit
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Esprit »

Sleeping it off in the passenger cabins too!

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Manoverboard wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 09:22
It's the "Balmoral" we've not been on it before so something new😂 Only been on two previous FO cruises, Amazon Adventure and Caribbean last year

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Happydays wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:09
It's the "Balmoral" we've not been on it before so something new😂 Only been on two previous FO cruises, Amazon Adventure and Caribbean last year
We were on Braemar ... one's report if interested :angel:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Article from BBC 'I feel much safer on board ship than in a supermarket'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56906506

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:48
Not sure I would agree with that statement - never recall seeing an outbreak of Norovirus in my local Tesco

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Chum of many years died this year of Covid, he didn't go anywhere at all but his wife would go to their local Supermarket ( not Tesco ) from time to time but nowhere else.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 15:14
Kendhni wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:48
Not sure I would agree with that statement - never recall seeing an outbreak of Norovirus in my local Tesco
That could actually be common - supermarkets would be great transmission places for noro.

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Manoverboard wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:27
Happydays wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:09
We were on Braemar ... one's report if interested :angel:
Braemar is the only Fred ship we've been on, we really enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best (service and food wise)

I reread your review and that's pretty much how we found it.
I enjoyed a matinee performance on one of the sea days, I thought it was a nice way to pass an afternoon. It was very popular

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The first minister of Wales said some time ago that track and trace had identified cases here in Wales where people had been shopping at the supermarket.
He then asked supermarkets to tighten up on the covid rules. Making sure social distancing took place etc.
I certainly didn't feel comfortable shopping at Tesco and in the end relied on our Sainsburys delivery. Just recently I have been able to purchase an Ocado smart glass, which enables, me to buy Mark's and Spencer's food as well. Such joy. !!!

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I tried to register with Ocado but they do not deliver to our area ... they used to with Waitrose :twisted:

I looked up ' smart glass ' and got double glazing :( .... perhaps it should be ' smart pass ' ?
Last edited by Manoverboard on 29 Apr 2021, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

We live in Swansea and the delivery driver told me he comes from Bristol,that's our nearest hub.
Apparently they love coming down on a sunny day, they try to get finished and then have a coffee break sitting on the promenade looking at the sea.

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

I stopped going to the supermarket a couple of weeks before Christmas. I got fed up with people not social distancing and customers and I found staff not wearing masks. I decided to get home delivery but the only one I could get was the Co-Op, all the others were fully booked. Glad I did the Co-Op delivery service is superb. You are a tad limited as to what you can get but it does me.
Up the Palace

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Bensham33 wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:37
I stopped going to the supermarket a couple of weeks before Christmas. I got fed up with people not social distancing and customers and I found staff not wearing masks. I decided to get home delivery but the only one I could get was the Co-Op, all the others were fully booked. Glad I did the Co-Op delivery service is superb. You are a tad limited as to what you can get but it does me.

Similar here, so I let Mrs S get on with it.
It was winding me up too much seeing the few customers most of who looked like they could run a marathon with a respirator on not wearing a mask. I'd only end up questioning them and getting a mouthful of abuse for my trouble, so why bother.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

you get that on here .Lol
Mel

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Oh well our cruise has been cancelled due to not being able to get agreement for a start date from the (nippy one) Scottish Government, seemingly they have positive news for cruises starting from England. We now have the a choice to make, take a refund, or transfer to another cruise with extra 10% off the price.

They also said that some of the "Welcome Back" cruises that include Scottish ports may have alternative ports should the agreement not be resolved at time of sailing. Blooming Scottish Gov absolutely hopeless, heaven help us if the SNP ever get the independence they keep banging on about :(

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Oh dear, that as they say is a BooGar :(

Return to “Fred Olsen”