Current Affairs

Chat about anything here

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Current Affairs

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 09:05 Strange that the media can always find migrants on a French beach about to set sail but the French police don't seem able to.
I saw an interview with a French police officer who said that he couldn’t stop them because they have not committed a crime by getting into a boat.
90% appear to be fit healthy young men.
Put them straight to work.
We need workers.
They need jobs.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 09:05 Strange that the media can always find migrants on a French beach about to set sail but the French police don't seem able to.
In the footage I saw the police were standing by whilst the migrants were launching their boat, police car with blue lights flashing just in case there were any technical hitches I presume or maybe to give the gendarmes a lift off the beach once they had set sail. So what exactly was their role?
We're out! :clap:
Get over it!!

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I also saw a French plod/customs pick up with light flashing on the beach this morning on the news just parked and watching a load of migrants pile into a boat and making off and doing nothing to stop them.

I was surprised they didn’t have a white flag attached to the vehicle. Wasters :thumbdown:
Last edited by Stephen on 25 Nov 2021, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Strange that the media can always find migrants about to beach in the UK but the British police and immigration services don't seem able to.
#StopCrying #OwnWhatYouVotedFor

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:42 Strange that the media can always find migrants about to beach in the UK but the British police and immigration services don't seem able to.
The vast majority is footage of migrants being offloaded from border force boats, maybe some of these should be diverted to Belfast, would that suit you?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

I don’t usually comment on Ken’s idiotic contributions but I’ll make an exception in this case 😂😂😂

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

barney wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 09:13
I saw an interview with a French police officer who said that he couldn’t stop them because they have not committed a crime by getting into a boat.
90% appear to be fit healthy young men.
Put them straight to work.
We need workers.
They need jobs.
I do think the answer to all this is a properly managed system, including putting them to work. But it also needs to include prompt removal of failed asylum seekers to weed out those who are not genuine, and get rid.

As for the idiot French cops answer, surely they are already illegal immigrants the moment they enter France? Is that not a crime? And perhaps more importantly they are valuable witnesses to the much bigger crime of people smuggling. If they can't be arrested for the first they should be put in protective custody while they help with inquiries.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

towny44 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:46
Kendhni wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:42 Strange that the media can always find migrants about to beach in the UK but the British police and immigration services don't seem able to.
The vast majority is footage of migrants being offloaded from border force boats, maybe some of these should be diverted to Belfast, would that suit you?
Some? I think all.

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Even in La Française any boat setting sail from a registered port with passengers should have a certificate of sea worthiness for the boat and the number of passengers being carried. Plod could check the certification for starters ... just saying.

Why hasn't Ken Boris thought of that idea I ask myself :roll:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

The government on both sides need to get to the route of the problem which in my opinion are the human traffickers who are just profiteering on other peoples misery. Get rid of restrict them by any means through government agencies/forces will go a long way to help solve the problem.

The problem is trying to get the French officials off their ar*es.
Last edited by Stephen on 25 Nov 2021, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

No need to when Border Force and RNLI are picking them up in the Channel and ferrying them the rest of the way.
Get over it!!

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:46
What an idiotic statement ... really not worth any other comment.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:43 The problem is trying to get the French officials off their ar*es.
Why do you think it is Frances problem? We had an agreement with them to help control immigration and we chose to separate from that agreement without putting anything else in place ... we chose to protect our own borders. The problem is 100% at our own feet, however we could enter into agreements with other countries to assist us. In fact Patel has offered a tiny sum of £54million if the French want to help in solving a British problem ... so the recognition that it isn't France's problem comes from our own government.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

oldbluefox wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 12:51
No need to when Border Force and RNLI are picking them up in the Channel and ferrying them the rest of the way.
As has always been the case, our border forces only intercept a minority of illegally arriving migrants

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 13:07
As has always been the case, our border forces only intercept a minority of illegally arriving migrants
There is truth in saying our border forces only intercept a minority of ‘illegally arriving migrants’ but as far as asylum seekers are concerned e.g. those arriving in our waters vie dinghies, then most I would suggest are being picked up by border forces/RNLI

The journey is perilous enough without them looking for a sandy cove 10 miles further up the coast line.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

After watching the Newsnight program last night, it’s quite obvious why so many are trying to get to the U.K.
Their treatment is France is appalling.
It should not be allowed in any civilised country.
They constantly have their belongings confiscated and are denied absolute basics like food and water.
My only real complaint is that the media consider them migrants while still in the Eu and refugees once they enter the channel.
So, the Eu have a migrant problem and the U.K. have a refugee problem.
Ireland only had 1,516 asylum claims in 2020 so they would have the capacity for any who were just passing through the U.K.
Last edited by barney on 25 Nov 2021, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 14:00
Kendhni wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 13:07
There is truth in saying our border forces only intercept a minority of ‘illegally arriving migrants’ but as far as asylum seekers are concerned e.g. those arriving in our waters vie dinghies, then most I would suggest are being picked up by border forces/RNLI
I am going back to Cameron and Brown days when they admitted that they had pretty much lost control/count over the number of people arriving in this country. That only seems to be getting worse. Legal immigration never was a major problem, it has always been the ones coming in thru the backdoor. We have to stop all this finger pointing and crying like babies, and do what we claim we (as a country) voted for and control our own borders. We will never succeed in fully protecting 7500 miles of coastline, we just have to manage the problem and put agreements and mechanisms back in place to get assistance from other countries (and a paltry £54million isn't going to do it).

I suspect that the immigration issue has been made more difficult by the current government, but most developed countries seem to be bracing themselves for things to get worse as more and more people look to improve their 'lot'.
The journey is perilous enough without them looking for a sandy cove 10 miles further up the coast line.
I agree and disagree. If you put yourself in their shoes, what would it take for you to put the lives of your family and children at risk in the hope of a better life? They obviously feel the risk is worth it so a few miles here or there is hardly likely to be the deciding factor.
Last edited by Kendhni on 25 Nov 2021, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Kendhni wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 14:48 They obviously feel the risk is worth it so a few miles here or there is hardly likely to be the deciding factor.
"OK lads, We've done the hard bit so we'll have a look further along, see if there's a nice sandy beach for us to land on and if there's an ice cream to be had so much the better. They say Brighton's nice!" :lol:
I would imagine after the ordeal they have experienced, they will be grateful to get off the dinghy wherever they land and get something warm inside them and some warm, dry clothing to put on. I doubt any of them would be welcoming another few miles.
Get over it!!

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

They've already escaped from whatever they were fleeing initially. Now they're putting themselves at huge risk to escape from France. Says it all really.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 15:57 They've already escaped from whatever they were fleeing initially. Now they're putting themselves at huge risk to escape from France. Says it all really.
It really does Merv.
Quite a few try to portray the European Union as some sort of beneficial Utopia but the treatment of migrants on the Polish and Lithuanian borders, being physically returned at gun point and the amount of desperate people who are literally willing to risk their lives to escape racist France makes one happy to be fortunate enough to reside in England.
The absolute hypocrisy of some takes my breath away.
It’s a shame that the other three U.K. nations haven’t stepped up to take their share instead of leaving everything to England and specifically the south east.
Only one council in Scotland our of 32 have volunteered to participate.
Hardly any in Wales or NI either.
Kent has obviously taken the brunt with unaccompanied minors and are at breaking point.
Last edited by barney on 25 Nov 2021, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

barney wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 16:12
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 15:57 They've already escaped from whatever they were fleeing initially. Now they're putting themselves at huge risk to escape from France. Says it all really.
It really does Merv.
Quite a few try to portray the European Union as some sort of beneficial Utopia but the treatment of migrants on the Polish and Lithuanian borders, being physically returned at gun point and the amount of desperate people who are literally willing to risk their lives to escape racist France makes one happy to be fortunate enough to reside in England.
The absolute hypocrisy of some takes my breath away.
It’s a shame that the other three U.K. nations haven’t stepped up to take their share instead of leaving everything to England and specifically the south east.
Only one council in Scotland our of 32 have volunteered to participate.
Hardly any in Wales or NI either.
Kent has obviously taken the brunt with unaccompanied minors and are at breaking point.
Maybe our NI representative on here needs to campaign to sort that out rather than venting at those who are in the front line.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 25 Nov 2021, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 16:54 Maybe our NI representative on here needs to campaign to sort that out rather than venting at those who are in the front line.
His problem is that he vents far too much hot air.
John

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

towny44 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 17:01
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 16:54 Maybe our NI representative on here needs to campaign to sort that out rather than venting at those who are in the front line.
His problem is that he vents far too much hot air.
I’m sure Ken will rise above that one John…. nothing like a bit of hot air to keep the forum buoyant..me thinks :)

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Indeed I will Keith, I will ignore those that can only speak through their lower extremities. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bensham33
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

There are apparently 1.1m job vacancies in the UK. Maybe some of these people could be useful to us......just saying.
Last edited by Bensham33 on 25 Nov 2021, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Bensham33 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 18:05 There are apparently 1.1m job vacancies in the UK
But how many unemployed are there? We should concentrate on getting our unemployed into jobs before using immigrants, illegal or otherwise, to fill these vacancies.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

The best way of doing that is reducing benefits after a period of time; or base benefits on tax payments previously made; or make parents responsible for the results of their breeding program. Some families are now 4th generation benefit claimants. I have always said that for every £10 of benefits someone receives they should be made to contribute 1 hour of labour - there are plenty of jobs in the fields, picking up litter, sorting through recycling etc. that they could do which would be much more productive than allowing them to lie in bed doing nothing.

Our political leaders do little to improve the situation by trying to champion more programs that puts a group in their little 'cause' onto benefits or disability. Focus on what people can do, not what they can't do. I believe that, to some degree, the immigration crisis is being used to whip up hatred and take the blame for a lazy indigenous population.

About 1:3 in our company are non-nationals (not unusual across the industry), in fact our newest set of interns are all foreigners: Japan, Iran, India, Latvia and one chap from Hull (we struggle to understand a word he says :) ). I am proud to work in a cosmopolitan multi-cultural industry.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

That was the problem pre Brexit and one of the factors that led to Brexit. Too many employers were ready to take on immigrant workers for very low pay, often illegally low because they knew they wouldn't complain, rather than training and paying living wages to UK workers.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

It was good to see Johnson finally trying to take ownership of the current immigration crisis that he is basically responsible for (his 5 points being the basis of what we once had). Sad to see that Macron has turned him down. Part of the issue is that Johnson's gung ho attitude, and various comments from his politicians, has been disenfranchising those that he now needs help from .. we used to call it burning bridges. I hope Johnson can come to a proper negotiated settlement with our neighbours and put back in place policies and agreements he threw away (possibly unknowingly, given comments about his understanding of the situation). I just wonder how much it will cost us to buy back goodwill.
Last edited by Kendhni on 26 Nov 2021, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

There is no easy solution to the influx of migrants but one surely has to be found. We are undoubtably a dense overcrowded island which is borne out by our covid infection/death rates.

With regard to processing asylum seekers my suggestion would be to allow all present asylum seekers the right to stay. This would take the pressure off what is an overloaded asylum process which clearly isn’t working. The whole of Europe is plagued with this problem so the only way I can see this being resolved will be that each country takes an agreed number of migrants until each country has reached a negotiated quota. Once this is in place all affected countries should contribute both financially and in manpower to the stringent policing of the boarders of entry into Europe. The hard truth is that unless migrants see their passage to a better life is not through “we are her so you must take us “the sooner we will get on top of this situation.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think the French have any intention of honouring any future agreement…”pas dans notre cour” is all they are concerned about.
Last edited by Onelife on 26 Nov 2021, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

A bit of outside the box thinking but we may have missed an opportunity when COVID hit the cruise industry.
When Cruise and Maritime liquidated, our government could have bought a cruise ship at knockdown price and used it as an offshore processing centre.
Immediately process arrivals, legitimate and they are in, not legitimate and straight on the tender and back to France, dropped off conveniently on the beach they left from.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

Onelife wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 08:29 There is no easy solution to the influx of migrants but one surely has to be found. We are undoubtably a dense overcrowded island which is borne out by our covid infection/death rates.

With regard to processing asylum seekers my suggestion would be to allow all present asylum seekers the right to stay. This would take the pressure off what is an overloaded asylum process which clearly isn’t working. The whole of Europe is plagued with this problem so the only way I can see this being resolved will be that each country takes an agreed number of migrants until each country has reached a negotiated quota. Once this is in place all affected countries should contribute both financially and in manpower to the stringent policing of the boarders of entry into Europe. The hard truth is that unless migrants see their passage to a better life is not through “we are her so you must take us “the sooner we will get on top of this situation.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think the French have any intention of honouring any future agreement…”pas dans notre cour” is all they are concerned about.
Maybe we should look at the situation through the eyes of the French.
Firstly they have the embarrassment of the second and third political parties being very hard right wing, bordering on racist.
Then there was the Aukus embarrassment quickly followed by the problem in Algeria and Mali.
On top of that, they now have the worldwide embarrassment of migrants literally being willing to risk their lives to escape France.
Politically, they need a row with a neighbour to take their mind off the worldwide humiliation that they have suffered.

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:05
Onelife wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 08:29 There is no easy solution to the influx of migrants but one surely has to be found. We are undoubtably a dense overcrowded island which is borne out by our covid infection/death rates.

Maybe we should look at the situation through the eyes of the French.
Firstly they have the embarrassment of the second and third political parties being very hard right wing, bordering on racist.
Then there was the Aukus embarrassment quickly followed by the problem in Algeria and Mali.
On top of that, they now have the worldwide embarrassment of migrants literally being willing to risk their lives to escape France.
Politically, they need a row with a neighbour to take their mind off the worldwide humiliation that they have suffered.

I don’t think Germany are doing anything at the moment ;)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Germany had 76000 new covid cases yesterday, so their govt has its hands full with a likely Xmas lockdown, so it definitely does not need another immigration crisis.
Incidentally does it have a govt yet?
John

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

towny44 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:27 Germany had 76000 new covid cases yesterday, so their govt has its hands full with a likely Xmas lockdown, so it definitely does not need another immigration crisis.
Incidentally does it have a govt yet?
Almost. Who appear to be already blaming everything that's wrong in Europe on Brexit.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 08:29 I think we are fooling ourselves if we think the French have any intention of honouring any future agreement…”pas dans notre cour” is all they are concerned about.
What we have to remember is this is not Frances problem - and not for the asinine reasons some other posters have made.
If we saw immigrants that had arrived in this country trying to leave on boats we would also be waving hankies and saying "goodbye", and the posters criticising the French would be the first to complaining if any attempt was made to stop them.

We need to replace the agreement we had previously with the EU, and negotiate how much it is now going to cost us, and/or we need to police our own borders properly (like what people were led to believe they were voting for). The EU is otherwise too busy trying to defend its own southern borders to worry about a little island to the north of it.
Last edited by Kendhni on 26 Nov 2021, 11:45, edited 2 times in total.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

This new variant coming in from Africa seems to have got the scientific community concerned.
It is not a case of if it arrives here, it is a case of when and can we handle it.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:44 What we have to remember is this is not Frances problem
That all depends on whether these migrants are legally in France which I would hazard a guess that many are not. As I understand international law, if you arrive illegally into a country you are deported back to where you came from. Now I fully accept that this totally ignores the humanitarian aspect of this situation - but that is another argument.

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:44
Onelife wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 08:29 I think we are fooling ourselves if we think the French have any intention of honouring any future agreement…”pas dans notre cour” is all they are concerned about.
What we have to remember is this is not Frances problem - and not for the asinine reasons some other posters have made.
If we saw immigrants that had arrived in this country trying to leave on boats we would also be waving hankies and saying "goodbye", and the posters criticising the French would be the first to complaining if any attempt was made to stop them.

We need to replace the agreement we had previously with the EU, and negotiate how much it is now going to cost us, and/or we need to police our own borders properly (like what people were led to believe they were voting for). The EU is otherwise too busy trying to defend its own southern borders to worry about a little island to the north of it.

I sometimes think you like the sound of your own voice Ken. I've never heard such utter nonsense.

If the above did happen I would like to think that as a civilised country the proper authorities would intervene and not just sit back and watch as the French are doing. Oh I forgot, we already are.

Now doubt you will come back with your usual self righteous script which I will completely ignore.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Kendhni wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:44 We need to replace the agreement we had previously with the EU
Were you asleep when we were in the EU?

Do you mean the agreement under which the French built camps conveniently close to the Channel Tunnel so that migrants could hop on trains and lorries to the UK?

This is not caused by Brexit. This is one of the causes of Brexit.

All that has changed is the method of transportation.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Ken

You are quite right; it is of course a problem that has been pasted on through each country and as you say, France is doing what we would do if thousands of Irish tinkers thought they could get a better life in the EU. The fact remains that at some point the tap has got to be turned off, that is not to say that we can’t allow the tap to drip from time to time. The problem is that they will all say they fear for their lives and we have no way of disproving their claims…. some are genuine many are not.

I agree that the only way forward is to reach an agreement but the solution doesn’t lie in policing our boarders better… you can’t use a fishing rod to cast them back to France. For those who make it to our maritime border have little chance of being returned and as long as they know that they will keep coming…with of course a little help from our neighbours.
Last edited by Onelife on 26 Nov 2021, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:12
Kendhni wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:44 What we have to remember is this is not Frances problem
That all depends on whether these migrants are legally in France which I would hazard a guess that many are not. As I understand international law, if you arrive illegally into a country you are deported back to where you came from. Now I fully accept that this totally ignores the humanitarian aspect of this situation - but that is another argument.
I am inclined to agree that, just like ourselves, nobody has any real idea about how many are arriving, traversing or leaving specific countries. Asylum seekers have very few rights, but they do have right of entry into a country and it is up to that country to determine legitimacy. They cannot be deported while that is happening.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:48 Ken

You are quite right; it is of course a problem that has been pasted on through each country and as you say, France is doing what we would do if thousands of Irish tinkers thought they could get a better life in the EU. The fact remains that at some point the tap has got to be turned off, that is not to say that we can’t allow the tap to drip from time to time. The problem is that they will all say they fear for their lives and we have no way of disproving their claims…. some are genuine many are not.
Indeed, but to turn that tap off we have to reinstate agreements we once had, but chose to dispose of ... now it is likely that we may have to pay for those agreements - which Macron has chosen to play hardball about and get other issues wrapped up into any agreement. Patel has already offered an initial payment of £54milion to the French for their assistance, which is nothing more than drop in the ocean.

The hindering factor is that under international law we have to assume they are legitimate until we can prove otherwise (i.e. innocent until proven guilty, a cornerstone of our legal system) ... which isn't easy and can take a lot of time, and we choose not to necessarily monitor what individuals do during that period.

I agree many (majority?) of them are not 'genuine' (beyond being economic migrants).
I agree that the only way forward is to reach an agreement but the solution doesn’t lie in policing our boarders better… you can’t use a fishing rod to cast them back to France. For those who make it to our maritime border have little chance of being returned and as long as they know that they will keep coming…with of course a little help from our neighbours.
I would compare policing 7500miles of border as being akin to trying to catch rain with a fishing net. I have no idea of success/failure of processing but they effectively have become our 'responsibility' at that point. That then is up to our border agencies to handle (and Patel has described that system as 'dysfunctional').

The only thing I might disagree with you is the use of the term 'help from our neighbours' ... not sure it can be described as 'helping', but rather 'not hindering'/'turning a blind eye'. :)

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Could it not be a case of the EU being incapable of protecting its own borders which presents an open door to migrants wanting to make their way to UK where they will be better treated than they are in France. France could absorb more refugees but are clearly happy to encourage them to move on.
Get over it!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ken, if the old EU agreements had worked effectively, it is quite likely that Brexit might not have happened. So to suggest the lack of new agreements as the reason for the current problems is very naive.
John

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Did anyone watch ' Who do you think you are ' recently. Zillions of poverty ridden Irish in Liverpool and Newcastle ... no idea how they got there mind but there were no benefits on offer other than the workhouse. We are far too generous with these uninvited people and that needs to stop.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

oldbluefox wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:24 Could it not be a case of the EU being incapable of protecting its own borders which presents an open door to migrants wanting to make their way to UK where they will be better treated than they are in France. France could absorb more refugees but are clearly happy to encourage them to move on.
Very much so, As I said in an earlier post the EU has a huge issue along its southern border. It also has an issue on its eastern border but Turkey is providing some buffering. I think the argument of being worse or better treated in France is little more than a media spun red herring. Often their first and primary aim is to get to the UK (due to its unfounded reputation of handing out whatever is needed - a reputation created and fuelled by the British media).

Who has the ability to absorb and who doesn't becomes irrelevant ... that would be a bit like a northerner wanting to move to London and being told they can't because Birmingham and Coventry are in the way and they have more room ... the aim would always be to get to London.

Kendhni
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:26 Ken, if the old EU agreements had worked effectively, it is quite likely that Brexit might not have happened. So to suggest the lack of new agreements as the reason for the current problems is very naive.
You could be right. Alternatively Johnson could be right ... he has recognised that the loss of agreements is instrumental in the current crisis. That is why he is trying to sell his 5 point plan to the French (which aligns closely to the agreements we had previously). Personally I think this is another example of what happens when a government denies due diligence before signing an agreement. You will have to do more to convince me that Johnson is the one that is being naive.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:56
towny44 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:26 Ken, if the old EU agreements had worked effectively, it is quite likely that Brexit might not have happened. So to suggest the lack of new agreements as the reason for the current problems is very naive.
You could be right. Alternatively Johnson could be right ... he has recognised that the loss of agreements is instrumental in the current crisis. That is why he is trying to sell his 5 point plan to the French (which aligns closely to the agreements we had previously). Personally I think this is another example of what happens when a government denies due diligence before signing an agreement. You will have to do more to convince me that Johnson is the one that is being naive.
I think I agree with you that Johnson is not the one that is being naive! :sarcasm: :lol:
John

Ray B
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Aside from the politics of the borders, all these migrants will, as well as work, need housing.
Here in the east we are building 1000s of new homes which attracts a lot of Londoners to move here. We do not have large ethnic communities here as can be found in other City's, therefore we do not have at present the problems some areas experience from these large communities.
Will this mean that the migrants with all their different beliefs migrate to these ethnic hubs to be among their own thus making the place less attractive to (without being racist) white English living there. This may already be happening in some places, I just do not know.
There may be trouble ahead, who knows.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “General Chat”