Reports about cruises on Iona

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Iona Christmas Cruise (Sue & Garry)

Post by Suekersh »

HI all

Something to cheer us up . Nice cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Friday, 17 December 2021
We left home at 8 am for the long drive down to Southampton. Other than roadworks on the M6 it was was very quiet on the motorway and we have never seen the service stations so empty.

Our destination was the Elizabeth House hotel on the Avenue and our room was ready when we arrived.

We had decided not to eat in the hotel restaurant in the evening to avoid the chance of being in contact with Covid. Instead we purchased a few picnic items from the service station to eat in our room. Not just any picnic but a M & S picnic. We had brought a bottle of wine with us so very civilised and relaxing.

Saturday, 18 December.

Finally, boarding day and after an excellent breakfast in the the hotel where we managed to secure a table away from other guests. Our taxi arrived promptly and because I have never learnt the art of packing lightly I had requested a large booted car. The driver squeezed in our 3 large suitcases , 2 large hold-alls and 3 cabin sized wheel on cases and we set off for the port.

We had an early boarding time of 11:30 am. and was surprised that at 11 am the luggage pods were open and there was already a queue forming for testing. A porter very kindly collected our luggage and took it to the pod for us. We missed this service in September as none of the porters were working then.

The testing queue started moving and it didn’t take long before we were in the luggage hall which had been converted into the testing hall. As the previous cruise was only a 7 night one and the ship had arrived in the dock the previous evening the testing and embarkation was very organised and swift. After testing we were directed to the terminal building to await our test results before checking in. After a short but anxious wait to get our test results the texts arrived within seconds of each other saying we were clear to board.

As we checked in the security desks opened and we were through and on ship within an hour of arriving at the port.

We went straight to the cabin to drop off hand luggage. The cabin is on deck 11 at the very aft of the ship overlooking the wake. It is the same position as our cabin in September but one deck higher. For the cruise after this one we move next door into a superior deluxe balcony as unfortunately that cabin wasn’t available for this cruise and our cabin wasn’t available for the next cruise. A bit of hassle but as we hadn’t intended on getting off in Southampton anyway we will have plenty of time to get organised.

After a quick look round we then went to the Pearl restaurant for the loyalty buffet lunch.

A few glasses of bubbles and wine and the stress of the journey and boarding melted away.
During lunch we booked various restaurants and shows on the my holiday app.
We left the restaurant and headed to the atrium which was beautifully decorated tor the festive period. It is a stunning Atrium even without the decorations but with them it is spectacular.

We noticed the Holiday app pop up desks were very busy and passengers complaining about using it. We actually find it very easy to use and although there are still a few niggles to iron out it mainly works perfectly well. Another comment we heard was the fact that the Epicurean was completely booked out for the festive period before we boarded. We booked what we wanted from home a few days before boarding including Xmas Day and New Year’s Eve. the passengers who wanted to book on board to use their On board credit missed out as it was fully booked for the festive period.

All the cases were outside the cabin and we spent the afternoon unpacking and sorting the cabin out. The sun was full on the balcony and it was surprisingly hot for December. Our cabin steward Nevis came to introduce himself and make notes of our special requests.

Garry visited the Glass House to buy a few bottles of our favourite wine and enquire about the stock levels. Our cabin now looks like a bar with every nook and crevice filled with Gin, tonics, coke and now wine. All my long dresses and midi dresses are hung on magnetic hooks from the ceiling as the wardrobes still aren’t any taller than they were in September!

Robert ‘eye candy’ Camby is the captain and he made an announcement regarding safety, and the expected time of Ionas departure from Southampton. Captain Camby was Captain when we boarded in September but he had to leave early due to his wife going into labour earlier than expected. Paternity leave over he is now back at the Helm.

We had booked dinner in the Epicurean, Iona’s fine dining restaurant. The same staff were on the desk as were on in September and they recognised us immediately and welcomed us back.
The food as usual was excellent and the service very attentive.

We hadn’t booked any entertainment for the evening as after a big meal the last thing we wanted to do was sit in the theatre. Instead we walked around the ship visiting the different venues and somehow we ended up in the liquor shop! They had various deals on mix and match different spirits 4 x1 Litre bottles for £55. We ordered and will collect it at the end of the first cruise. At least we don’t have to find room in the cabin to store it.

Sunday, 20 December,.

Even after the indulgences of yesterday I was up early and went to the gym at 7 a.m. for the first class of the cruise which was a Body Conditioning Class. Only six of us in the class and the instructor Martin guided us through the relatively hard work out. I know I will ache tomorrow.

After breakfast in the Pearl restaurant where we were served by Douglas and his assistant Godfrey who are serving the same tables as in September in our favourite part of the restaurant. It is so great to meet crew who we have known for many years.
On the way out I asked to see the menu for lunchtime and not feeling inspired by it I booked the Olive grove for lunch. I had already booked in the Olive Grove for dinner tonight so a double whammy in there to try our favourite dishes.

We wandered around and called into the Loyalty area to chat with Brooke and her team. The Ligurian/ Baltic lunch is on Tuesday. We have asked for a table for two which is unusual as we are normally seated on a table for 8 but as it was an option we decided it was better to stay safe. The wine does flow like water at these lunches.

We met some passengers in the Crows Nest who had joined the Facebook group for this cruise. It was great to catch up with Dale and Zoe again after missing them in October on Ventura because we transferred to Iona after P & O cancelled our cabin. It was Xmas 2015 on Arcadia in the Caribbean when we last saw them.

After a light lunch in the Olive Grove we did another walk around the ship. The festive decorations everywhere are fabulous. There was plenty going on for everyone with various presentations and sporting activities. We had a lazy afternoon as we entered the Bay of Biscay. Some blue sky but too chilly to make use of the balcony today. The swells in the bay were only 1 - 1 1/2 metres and we couldn’t feel any motion at all.
Captain Camby gave his usual announcement at 6 pm and we will be hitting windier weather tomorrow and parts of the deck will be closed off, but by the time we reach Madeira on Wednesday the wind will have died down and the storms well behind us.

After another excellent dinner in the Olive grove we wandered the ship looking for a table with a view in one of the many bars but it was far too busy so went to Anderson’s and ordered a cocktail. It was very quiet in there and no atmosphere so after one drink we walked to the other end of the ship an up to the Crows Nest. We found a nice table and settled down with another cocktail to listen to the pianist.

Monday, 20 December 2021.

I awoke feeling sore everywhere. The gym class yesterday was to blame and the hundreds of squats he had us performing. I wasn’t going to bother going this morning but decided I better had to stretch out my aching thigh muscles. Once again around 6 of us in the class which today was a stretch class.

It was grey damp morning but gradually the clouds lifted for a short while before closing in again.

Garry had called at reception to check the launderette position out. The majority appear to be in the isolation zones of the ship but as it transpired only the laundries on decks 10 and 11 are out of service.
He also checked how many passengers are on Iona this cruise which reception reported as 3544. This was lower than expected due to cancellations and Covid infections. In September it was just over 3650.

Back at the cabin I had started feel some movement and needed a sea sickness tablet. After it had worked its magic I got a shower and we went into breakfast. By the time we returned Nevis had finished the cabin and stocked the fridge with a half bottle of champagne, a bucket of ice and a plate of lemon slices and vouchers for more champagne tonight as it is Celebration night.

A lazy morning followed with the crossword and sudoku daily challenge. Just before lunch Captain Camby announced that we were making a slight deviation to our route as it was necessary to make a call into Vigo in Northern Spain. This may affect our arrival time in Madeira on Wednesday morning.

Just got a signal sailing into Vigo so will send this now and continue later.
Last edited by david63 on 21 Dec 2021, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic title re OP

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry Christmas cruise

Post by Happydays »

Oh how wonderful to read one of Sue's cruise reports until I started reading it I didn't know how much they have been missed ! Keep up the good work hopefully stay safe and enjoy yourselves 😁😘

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Iona Christmas Cruise (Sue & Garry)

Post by MaureenB »

I'm so pleased to see Sue's wonderful reviews again!! I shall look forward to reading them over the festive season and beyond as I see she is on a back to back.

Thank you Whynd 1 for ferrying them over to us.

Happy Christmas all

Maureen

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Lindsey thank you for posting Sue’s report.

So nice to read a cruise report - really enjoy Sue’s reports. We had wondered if Sue and Garry were cruising.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Lovely to read Sue’s report - thank you Lindsey.
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Enjoyed reading the report. :thumbup:

I might be missing something here but there seems to be a bit of a theme where alcohol is concerned 🥂🍸🥃🤪 :thumbup:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

It's so nice to read cruise reports and Sue's are always so interesting.
It's nice to read about Iona.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Lindsey

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Love reading Sue and Garry’s reports - thank you so much for posting them

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another lovely update for all our readers:-

Hi all,
Just arrived in Madeira. A bit cloudy at moment but forecast is for 22 degrees.

Monday continued.

We left the bay of Vigo around 15:30 to continue our journey to Madeira. The sea state was very calm but we had been warned of the storm that we were sailing into.

The first of 3 formal nights of the cruise and we had booked the chefs table of dinner. After breakfast this morning we had looked at the formal dinner menu and was disappointed that there was no Lobster or Beef Wellington on offer. The fish was haddock and the meat was pork.

Captain Camby made his celebration night speech early evening thanking his crew and welcomed everyone on board. He confirmed that the call into Vigo should not affect our arrival time in Madeira but the strong head winds that we were going to experience overnight could cause an issue.

The chefs table is set up in the Beech House area and we had been allocated a table for 2 by a window. It was dark outside but having a table at a window meant we were not in a walkway and were secluded.
The service was excellent and I was so happy to see a completely different menu from the dining room.

An Amuse Bouche of crushed tomatoes with the ships signature gin was served first. We both ordered the prawn starter, then I had the lobster and Garry the opted for the Beef Wellington, followed by the Biscuit glacé and cheese and biscuits with a port.

We had booked to see the Headliners show Festival but I cancelled our seats whilst we were at dinner. We had seen the show on our last cruise and although it is a different troupe we opted to go to see the Spanish/ Welsh comedian Ignacio Lopez in the Club House. He had been on our previous Iona cruise but we had only managed to catch the end of his show. He was very entertaining and his jokes were mainly at his own expense rather than extracting the urine out of the audience.
The resident band Pulse were performing in the Dome we walked through but after seeing the spectacular decorations in there we went to the atrium area for a nightcap.

When we returned to the cabin there was a letter to say that the company protocol was that every passenger had to be tested tomorrow. Our allocated time is 09:30. This test is complimentary.

During the early hours the storm hit and I woke up to the sound of water crashing onto the balcony. The infinity pool was emptying itself onto the aft balconies. Garry rang reception to inform them. They suggested sending an office round to look but as it was 4 am we declined his suggestion. Either it had emptied itself enough to stop the problem or had been emptied by the crew but within 30 minutes the noise and waterfall ceased.

Tuesday, 21st December- final Sea day to Madeira
A very lazy day was planned after the sleepless night. I gave the gym class a miss. We went for breakfast and then to Anderson’s for our test. Very well organised with only a very short queue and the whole process was over in less than 5 minutes.

We had heard names being called out to ring reception but no idea if this was because passengers hadn’t turned up for their test or if their test was positive. We returned to the cabin to relax before the loyalty lunch. About half an hour after the test the cabin phone rang and my first instinct was because it was a positive test. Phew it wasn’t but it was an officer ringing about the swimming pool which ended up on our balcony overnight. He asked if we wanted to move cabin which we assured him we didn’t as we love the position of our cabin. He did assure us that the pool had been emptied and if rough weather was forecast then it would be emptied in future before it caused an issue.
Just before we set off for lunch a lovely bowl of fruit arrived and some huge chocolate covered strawberries.

The loyalty lunch was very busy with over 500 passengers invited to attend.
Captain Camby welcomed everyone at the door as did Brooke our senior loyalty manager.

It was held in the Coral restaurant and as requested we had been allocated a table for two. It was far enough away from the next table to feel safe but close enough to chat to them. The bubbly and wine flowed throughout the meal and the waiters did an excellent job coping with the vast numbers of passengers all sitting down at the same time.

After lunch we returned to the cabin to find the sun was out and there was blue sky.
I slept off lunch and still wasn’t hungry when it was time to get ready for dinner.

We decided to skip dinner totally and had a lazy cabin evening. We were supposed to go and see a comedian in the theatre but I cancelled the booking.

Looking forward to Madeira tomorrow with temps forecast at 22 degrees.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Suekersh wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 11:59
We had heard names being called out to ring reception but no idea if this was because passengers hadn’t turned up for their test or if their test was positive.
I would have thought the former - if it was about positive tests I would hope that they would be a bit more discreet.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

It would be interesting to know whether passengers testing positive are quarantining on board or being offloaded to a shoreside hotel.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 13:23
It would be interesting to know whether passengers testing positive are quarantining on board or being offloaded to a shoreside hotel.

That was my first thought when reading the post.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

It's very dark and wet here this morning so it's nice to have another update through.

Wednesday, 22 December 2021 - Madeira

I was awake very early and walked around the ship. I only saw one other passenger suffering from insomnia and the rest were the night shift crew cleaning and sanitising everywhere.

Garry made his first trip to the laundry on board. It took some working out as some of the laundries including deck 11 laundry are in the isolation area. Deck 12 was open. I left him to his favourite chore and went to enjoy a solitary breakfast in the main dining room.

We docked early whilst it was still dark and but could see Madeira lit up for the festivities. We got a phone signal as we docked and caught up with e mails and messages. It was sad to read the group messages on Facebook from the passengers that tested positive yesterday and will be taken off in Tenerife. I feel so sorry for the families with young children spending Christmas in a quarantine hotel instead of on the ship.

We caught the shuttle into Madeira and walked through the Christmas market area. There were security guards on checking vaccination status and also antigen tests. As we were off the cruise they knew we were doubly vaccinated and had been tested yesterday so we just needed to show our cruise card to be allowed in. All of the locals had masks on and the majority of Brits but there are always the minority who think it doesn’t apply to them.
From there we walked to the town centre and the supermarket. We didn’t need much a few tonics to replenish the supplies and a bottle of port.
Our next stop was a small coffee shop with lots of outdoor tables where we sat in the sun with a coffee and the local custard tart called Pastel de Nata. Delicious.
We walked back to the Christmas market to sample the local Xmas drink Ginja de chocolate. A tiny chocolate cup filled with liqueur. I tried the cherry brandy one and Garry a chocolate liqueur. The market was no where near as busy as in previous years and I suspect the locals were keeping clear of the port area because of the cruise ship passengers.

Before catching the shuttle back to the ship we walked to the front and called into the Beerhouse to sit in the sun with a cold beer. No sooner had we sat down when the heavens opened and we swiftly changed tables. The shower was heavy but didn’t last long and the sun was even hotter when the clouds cleared.

After lunch in the very quiet main dining room we sat on the balcony in the sun over looking the port area. It was an early back on board time of 3:30 p.m. but we didn’t actually leave until around 4:30 p.m.

Captain Camby announced that due to Covid spreading rapidly around the world protocols and restrictions were being enhanced on the ship. The spa and gym would be closed until further notice and there would less seating in the theatre as social distancing was being brought back in there. We were surprised that it was ever stopped and welcome the changes in there.
He confirmed that there were cases of Covid on the ship but that they amounted to less than 0.5% of passengers aboard.

We ate in the Olive Grove and whilst in there the Cruise Director John Bartram announced that the aerial show in the sky Dome was cancelled for the next two nights but would hopefully be rescheduled. He also announced that not everybody with a booking for the 8:30 show in the theatre would actually get a seat due to the new restrictions. We hadn’t booked anything as had planned to go to the Sky Dome to watch the aerial show called Rise.

Our evening plans scuppered we walked through to the Club House where Pulse were performing but the music was far too loud for my delicate ears so turned around and headed for the crows Nest.

I highly recommend the Coffee and Salted Caramel Martini cocktail.

Tomorrow we are in Tenerife.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 09:37
He confirmed that there were cases of Covid on the ship but that they amounted to less than 0.5% of passengers aboard.
Even so that amounts to about 17 passengers plus their companions.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

For the moment.
At least it confirms that you will be asked to quarantine in a hotel at the port. How sad for those who were looking forward to a lovely Christmas on board.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Garry doing laundry. :shock:

That sort of behaviour can start giving us males a bad name :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:06
At least it confirms that you will be asked to quarantine in a hotel at the port.
That, for me, is probably the most worrying part of cruising at the moment and although we all probably think/hope it will not be us it quite easily could be.

One interesting question that I have not seen the answer to - if you are tested positive are you retested before being offloaded in case it is a false positive?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:31
Whynd1 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 10:06
At least it confirms that you will be asked to quarantine in a hotel at the port.
That, for me, is probably the most worrying part of cruising at the moment and although we all probably think/hope it will not be us it quite easily could be.

One interesting question that I have not seen the answer to - if you are tested positive are you retested before being offloaded in case it is a false positive?
than Norway
That's my concern as well. Although I can think of worse places to be quarantined than Norway.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 11:01
That's my concern as well. Although I can think of worse places to be quarantined than Norway.
... and far cheaper of course ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

what's the isolation area for? eg deck 11 near the laundry
Last edited by Meg 50 on 23 Dec 2021, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Meg 50 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 15:47
Anyone who tests positive for Covid before they are offloaded

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 15:53
Meg 50 wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 15:47
Anyone who tests positive for Covid before they are offloaded
Except for crew who can stay in quarantine until they test negative.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning all:
Here's another instalment from Sue and Garry

Thursday, 23 December 2021 - Tenerife

It seemed strange being up early and no gym class to go to.
We weren’t due to dock until 09:30 and it was still pitch black outside.
I showered and not long after my phone started pinging telling me that we were nearing land and I had a signal. It was still only just after 7:30 am. It took a long while for Iona to back into the new dock in Tenerife. Not the prettiest of docks and a ferry was parked directly behind us and as soon as it set off another one replaced it.

This dock meant that no shuttle was required which was a bonus. Mein Schiff 3 was docked opposite in the old dock.

After breakfast in the main dining room which was very quiet again we set off. Okay no need for a shuttle but we must have walked 3,000 steps just to get through the port building, then through where the shops were situated. There was an elevator here to take you to the street level, or steps or a steep walkway which wound round and round. It was fine for us but many passengers struggled with the steep incline. Once at the top it was a short flat walk to the outdoor market area and various bars and cafés. We walked further into town to the large señora de Africa mercado where we stopped for a beer sat in the sun. There didn’t seem as many stalls as we remembered and we didn’t venture downstairs to the fishy tapas area. That had been our plan but with the threat of Covid we decided to stay in the open air. We had another stop on the way back to the ship for a Tinto Verano then picked up a few cabin supplies from the local Spar.

We made it back on board just before the lunch service finished and took a look at the dinner menu. We have been on the ship for 6 days and still haven’t had dinner in the dining room yet or set foot in the buffet. There is so much choice on this ship.

We spent the afternoon on the balcony in the sun with a bottle of Rosé wine.
The ship doesn’t leave until 10 p.m. tonight but we decided against going into town to eat. Feeling very lazy after an afternoon of sun and alcohol we decided to stay put on the balcony and Garry picked up some of the excellent Fish & Chips from the quays. Even with the night sky it was still warm enough to sit out.

The city of Santa Cruz very kindly put on an Excellent light show which we could watch in comfort from our aft balcony.

Captain Camby made an early departure announcement to ensure he didn’t disturb anyone at 10 p.m. when Iona is due to depart from Tenerife. During his announcement he confirmed that Head office had been in touch with Santa and had been assured that he would be calling at Iona tomorrow evening. The Mince pies were ready and the farm on the ship had grown the carrots for the reindeer.

Tomorrow we are in Gran Canaria for Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas everyone.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Best fish and chips we have ever had!! Must have had them 3 times in September when we were on Iona - thank you sue and Garry for great reports and happy Christmas to you all x

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Merry Christmas severyone.
Todays instalment.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Friday, 24 December 2021 -Gran Canaria
Xmas Eve in the sunshine exactly what we cruise at Christmas for.
We docked early and as soon as the sun started to rise I knew our fabulous Captain had ‘parked’ the right way round again and we would have full sun on our balcony once again.

It is an easier port to walk through than yesterday and just outside the restricted area is a shopping mall, which included a supermarket and various bars and restaurants.

We walked on through town and to the beach area. The surf was up so only the brave were in the sea but the beach was packed with locals as well as cruise ship passengers. The bars that were open with outside seating were doing a roaring trade but many who were preparing for the lunch trade were not serving drinks. This meant it was ‘pot luck’ as to which table you sat at as to whether you got served.

We walked further round the bay and stopped for a beer and caught up with messages from home. Sat in the hot sunshine with a beer Covid seemed a million miles away but reading about friends Christmas gatherings cancelled because of it was very concerning.
Everyone appears to adhere to mask wearing here. We had heard that Spain had made it mandatory again to wear masks outside as well as indoors but not sure if that includes the Canary Islands.

We followed the bay round and ended up back in town. Our plan for lunch was a great tapas bar we had found on our last visit here. Unfortunately it was closed and didn’t look like it had been open for quite a while. We came across a little sunny side street with just four tables outside. It was a tiny bar with no tables inside. The waitress brought out the menu on her phone and we ordered 4 dishes and drinks. Everything was delicious and typically Canarian.

On the way back to the ship we called at the supermarket for cabin supplies then spent the rest of the afternoon on the balcony in the sun.

Father Christmas arrived on the ship just before we left the cabin for dinner. Presents of Salcombe gin and T pigs. Thank you P & O.

For the first time this cruise we went into the Main dining room for dinner. We were sat a table by the window in our favourite section with Douglas and Godfrey serving us. We could see the twinkling lights of Gran Canaria as we slowly sailed away from the island.

It was a special five course Christmas Eve menu and everything was delicious. I opted for Goose and Garry the Steak, the Jam shed Shiraz went well with both our choices.

Captain Camby announced that tomorrow although a sea day he would be keeping the ship as close to land as possible between Lanzarotte and Fuertaventura so that we could get a signal to contact relatives back home. Very thoughtful of him.

We had missed Tesni Jones first show as we hadn’t felt safe in the theatre with no Social distancing but decided as this was now back in place we would go to see her second show. We had heard mixed reviews but she certainly has a very big voice. We felt the ballads she sang were better than the loud shouty numbers. The theatre was quiet with lots of empty seats.

Lots going on around the ship with Christmas themed music and quiz’s.

Tomorrow we are at sea and forecast is hot and sunny.

Return to “Iona Cruise Reports”