Iona January cruise (Sue and Garry)

Reports about cruises on Iona

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Iona January cruise (Sue and Garry)

Post by Suekersh »

The first report from Sue and Garry's follow on cruise on Iona.

Hi all, sorry this is a long one as we haven’t had access to internet since leaving Southampton. Hope all is well back home and not as bad as the news is portraying.

Monday 3 January 2022

Despite the Captains fears that we would be late docking because of the wind we were docked by 6 a.m.

We finished packing the cabin up other than the clothes on hangers before going down to breakfast. It was busy down there as they had opened early.

Nevis our fabulous cabin steward had told us that our new cabin would be ready around 9 a.m. which it was. He did offer his help to move but knowing how busy they all are on changeover day we refused as we were quite happy to just get on with it. We cleared out quickly so that the stewards could then move into our old cabin to clean and sanitise it ready for the next occupants.

The first thing we noticed about the new cabin was how much wider it was and also the balcony was huge, the downside was the storage was less than in the standard balcony we had. This was because there was a table and two chairs where 2 cupboards had been and we had one less wardrobe.
I left some of my clothes packed as I didn’t think I would need them again and we managed to fit everything in.

It has a much more spacious feel to the cabin and although still no drawers and tiny shelves by the bed we were happy with it especially as now we are far enough away from the infinity pool so won’t get splashed with the water coming over.

Once sorted and e mails etc had been caught up on we went down to the loyalty lunch. For the first 20 minutes or so it was just the passengers like ourselves who had stayed on board. We didn’t stay long as we didn’t want much to eat or drink.

It was while we were in the lunch that friends told us La Voix had not boarded and our Limelight booking had been cancelled. I was so looking forward to seeing that show. Instead we booked the Epicurean for this evenings meal.

We watched the sail away just after 7 p.m. from our window table in the restaurant. The forecast wasn’t great for the sailing.

Another excellent meal where we both once again ate and drank too much. Sandra and Keith we met a few years ago on Adonia were sat next to us and we had a catch up, then Joy and Ev who we met on Aurora in 2020 arrived and again great to catch up.

We heard that there were a lot of passengers turned away at the port due to testing positive but have no idea of actual numbers. The ship itself feels quieter but unless the Captain gives the figures out at his formal night Welcome aboard speech we won’t know the exact figure.

After the meal we didn’t want to go to see any of the entertainment on offer as it was a repeat from the last cruise with vocalist Jason Keeler singing The Josh Groban Songbox.

The Voxens were performing in the Skydome and the Party Band Pulse in the Club House.
As normal on the first night many passengers were walking round like Zombies trying to find their way around the ship some after long stressful journeys.

We returned to the cabin via the Glass House to pick up some some supplies of the Jam Shed Shiraz just in case they run out.

A sea day tomorrow and not a great forecast.

Tuesday, 4 January 2022 1 st sea day to Gibraltar

The Wind got worse overnight as did the sea swells.
When I awoke I realised I wasn’t going anywhere this morning. I took a tablet and stayed in bed.
Garry went for breakfast and I drank water.

I slept but when I awoke a couple of hours later the tablet hadn’t worked which is unusual so I checked the instructions and took another. Garry spoke to Nevis who changed our towels and emptied the bin. I slept the afternoon away after the 2 nd tablet and awoke around 5 p.m. feeling much better. The motion was still as bad so I decided to stay put as I didn’t feel like eating anyway. We hadn’t any entertainment booked so no need to cancel any plans.

We realised that we had only just entered the Bay of Biscay the ship was going so slow because of the winds.

I decided I would feel better after a shower but as soon as I got in the bathroom I realised it was a bad idea so just went back to bed.

Garry went to the Quays for fish and chips and brought me back 2 bread rolls and made me a cup a soup (which we always bring with us just in case) . I managed to eat that.

Last cruise I missed the performance of the ‘Pink’ Tribute Act - Donna Moody Miss Understood. She got really good reviews but unfortunately I missed it again.

I had downloaded the Strictly Come Dancing final during the last cruise when I had a good signal but had never had chance to watch it until tonight. So that is how we spent our 2 nd night of the cruise. Alcohol free and for me virtually food free which is probably the only positive about today.

Another sea day tomorrow and during the Captains announcement he did say that there would be a big improvement in the sea state.

Wednesday, 5 January 2022 - 2 nd sea day to Gibraltar.

A much better day and although the sea state was still choppy the swells had died down and I felt much more comfortable walking around the cabin.

We tested ourselves with the lateral flow tests we had brought with us and both were negative which is always a relief.
We fully expect to be tested again on the ship tomorrow before our first port of call as we were on the last cruise.

I showered and dressed and still felt fine although I did take another tablet as a precaution.

On our way to breakfast we saw Nevis who asked if I was feeling better. He is such a lovely caring young man.

The Pearl dining room was extremely quiet for breakfast with many of the waiters standing around just waiting for passengers to serve.
After breakfast Garry went for a walk around the decks. I stayed in the cabin and checked up on our progress.

At just after 9:30 am we were leaving the dreaded Bay of Biscay and were rounding the tip of Spain. We were now cruising at 16 knots and although not on the aft the sun was making an appearance on the port side of Iona.

We walked around the ship and chatted to Sandra and Keith in the atrium. The headliners were practising some of their moves and doing stretches in one corner and there had been a juggler and magician showing off their skills. The Atrium is the heart of the ship but does get very busy and crowded.

We had a light Lunch in the main dining room and checked out the formal menu for the evening. We had already booked the chefs table for formal night but wanted to check that we had made the right decision.

Whilst we were waiting to go into the Chefs Table we saw the Aerialists practising in the Sky Dome so hopefully this means we may get see one of their shows this cruise.

The Chefs table menu was a far better menu for us with both Beef Wellington and Lobster on the menu compared to Haddock or a trio of meat in the main dining room. We used our Celebration night vouchers and started with a glass of bubbles whilst waiting for the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to chill. The Captain made his Welcome Aboard speech. He gave the usual information out except for the number of passengers on board. There were a lot less top tier passengers than on the Christmas cruise and the lady with the most nights on board a P & O ship had over 2000 nights on board.
Captain Camby once again thanked the hardworking crew who have had to adapt to the new protocols and different ways of working.

The Entertainment for the evening was the Headliners performing the second nights showing of Festival in Theatre.

Brian Connolly Jr. was in the Sky Dome.

We opted for the Comedian - Phil Reid in the Club House. We did miss the first few minutes of the show but got a seat without a problem with a view of a screen rather than the stage which we prefer as it was more social distanced. Unfortunately Phil Reid’s idea of comedy did not go down very well with the passengers and after ten minutes they started leaving the venue in large numbers.
It just shows that my idea of comedy is so very different to the majority as I found him quite entertaining until he started trying too hard to win back the diminishing audience. He eventually gave up after completing only 30 minutes of his show. I hope his later shows got a better reception from the passengers.

We finished the night in Anderson’s which again was very quiet. The crew in Anderson’s are ver friendly and love chatting to passengers whilst keeping an eye open for anyone wanting service.

Whilst we don’t know the exact number of passengers on board it feels so much quieter than the Christmas cruise so our guesstimate is around the 2500 mark which is less than 50% full.

We returned to the cabin expecting to find a letter regarding being tested tomorrow which is the final sea day before Gibraltar. We were told last cruise that the new protocol was that all the passengers would be tested before the first port of call, but that protocol must have been changed as there was no letter. We would have felt much more comfortable being around other passengers knowing that everyone had been re tested.

Thursday, 6 January 2022 - final sea day to Gibraltar.
The clock went forward in the early hours to put us on Spanish time in readiness for our arrival into Gibraltar tomorrow.

We had a very light breakfast in the Main Dining Room as at lunch time we have invites to the Ligurian / Baltic luncheon in the Coral Dining Room.

I had a lazy morning but Garry walked the decks, collected the crosswords and sudoku and sorted out an issue with reception.
The plumber came mid morning to solve a problem we hadn’t reported and didn’t even know we had. I just left him to it.

The Ligurian lunch event started at 11:45 and we were soon seated at a table for two which we had requested. Before I had even sat down the gentleman on the next table said Hi Sue I know you. He had me at a disadvantage and I said you are going to have to give me a clue.
Linda Chivers how amazing was that? We were actually sat on the next table to your cruising friends Chris and Graham. We had a good chat about you and Colin, and cruising in general.

I had ordered Lamb on the last cruise so changed to Salmon this time. I asked for White wine but quickly changed my mind after one taste and asked the waiter for Red instead. The white was Italian and looked like Cat pee and wasn’t to my taste. The Red was a Coney and Barrow and much more palatable.

We had decided before going into the lunch that we were not going to drink too much so that we didn’t sleep the afternoon away.
The sun finally arrived on our balcony late afternoon and it was so good to feel it again.

We had a light dinner in the Main Dining room then went to the theatre where The Voxens were performing. Three young ladies and they were Absolutely fabulous. It was their first time in the theatre as they are usually relegated to the dreadful sky dome.

Tomorrow we arrive in Gibraltar around 7 a.m.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Iona January cruise (Sue and Garry)

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, next update from Sue and Garry.

Good morning all from Sunny Alicante.

Friday 7 January 2022 - Gibraltar

This was Ionas maiden call into Gibraltar. It was supposed to dock here last month but because of the winds it couldn’t.

Iona docked early morning around 7 a.m. We were already awake so as soon as my phone picked up the signal we caught up with emails etc before disembarking around 9 am.

It was such a lovely day we decided to walk into town which took around 25 minutes.

It was still quite chilly even though the sky was cloudless and blue but it promised to be a hot sunny day. It takes a while for the sun to get over the Rock and start heating up.

We walked up Main Street which was relatively quiet even though the majority of the shops were open. Sod’s law the shop which sold sunglasses I wanted wasn’t open and even a couple of hours later was still closed. Hey Ho there will be more shops tomorrow in Alicante. The local shopkeepers were so happy to see cruise ship passengers back.

We opted to catch the little taxi shuttle back to the ship as we had made a few purchases.

Captain Camby was entertaining the officials on the deck side and I presume Iona will be given a plaque to commemorate the maiden call.

The sun was full on our balcony and it was ‘el scorchio.’ Just perfect and the way I like it. This balcony is perfect for us as Garry can get into a shaded area and I can have full sun.

Back on board time was 2 p.m. and Captain Camby announced at 2:20 that everyone was back on board and we were about to sail.

The forecast for our overnight cruise to Alicante is for light winds and calm seas with temperatures around 20 degrees tomorrow.

We lost the sun for about 15 minutes as the ship was turned round as we were getting out of the dock. Once we were on the Easterly heading the sun was once again full on the balcony. The views were absolutely stunning. We were trying to remember if we had ever left Gibraltar to continue into the Mediterranean as usually we call on our way back to Southampton.
I much prefer it this way as we could see Morocco, The Spanish Coastline right round and the Rock of Gibraltar from three angles.
A very lazy sunny afternoon just what cruising is about for me.

Entertainment tonight was the Matricks Illusions in the theatre.

The second performance of ‘Rise’ in the Sky Dome which has now earned the nickname ‘Covid Central’. There is no air in there, no social distancing and once seated no need to wear a mask. Most of the time it isn’t very busy as the acoustics are dreadful, the seating uncomfortable and the smell of chlorine off putting but for the aerial shows it is usually standing room only.

Party Band Pulse were performing the magic of the 80s in the Club House, with the comedian Phil Reid taking over at 11:30 with his late night Comedy show strictly for adults only.

Tomorrow we are due to arrive in Alicante at 9 a.m.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning here is another update from our two travellers.

Hi all from a sunny but chilly Barcelona.

Saturday, 8 January 2022- Alicante

A later arrival time this morning of 9 a.m. I was up to see the most colourful sunrise of this cruise so far. Very promising for a hot sunny day ahead.

We didn’t rush to disembark as at this time of year it takes a while for the sun to heat up and rise higher then the sea front’s tall buildings.
However there was going to be an electrical test on board later in the morning so we wanted to get off before that started causing disruptions.

There were plenty of shuttle busses to go into the centre which was probably a 20/25 minute walk.

We walked into the town centre which for a Saturday was pretty deserted. We did notice a lot of passengers from the ship discarding their masks in the open air. The Deputy Captain had not reminded everyone in his early morning announcement that mask wearing is mandatory in Spain at all times.
A lady in one of the shops told us that the Spanish police issue on the spot fines for breaking the rule and are everywhere looking for offenders and a chance to make money.
I do wonder what the Spanish people think of these ignorant Brits casually ignoring the rules of the country they are visiting. Maybe that was why Alicante was so quiet and they had kept safely out of the way.
After a couple of hours wandering around and some shopping although not all the shops were open we headed back to the beach area for a drink in the hot sun. It is a stunning beach front and although the beach was virtually deserted the promenade and the bars were busy.

Back on the ship the sun had come round and was nicely on the balcony. Another lazy afternoon making the most of the heat.
It is a very busy port with small yachts coming in and out of the harbour all day. Over the harbour wall we could see that the jet skis were doing some business as well.

In October it was a rowing boat that decided to stay in the harbour entrance whilst Iona was departing, this time it was a couple of yachts that the pilot boat had to go and chase off.

Captain Camby made his announcement just before we left. It was going to be a fast cruise to Barcelona and the forecast for tomorrow is not as good as it has been so far this cruise.

As we sailed away the scenery was stunning again and the sunset was even more vibrant than the the sunrise this morning. The sky looked like it was on fire.

John Bartram announced that there had been an issue with the entertainment but that it was all sorted now. This meant that all the entertainment we had booked had all been cancelled and had to be rebooked.

The Headliners show Centre Stage was in the theatre, and comedian Phil Reid in the Club House.

We had dinner in the Olive Grove and then sat in the Emerald bar chatting to Dale and Zoe and listening to The Busker.

We finished the night in the Crows nest.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I wonder how many were fined
Meg
x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I see Jon Bartram is still going then.

Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 21:49
I see Jon Bartram is still going then.

Lindsey
Not sure how - he is the most useless CD that I have ever had on a cruise

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I totally agree David.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Funnily enough we liked him. Must be the drink he bought us!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Another lovely report from Sue.

Hi all, Thank you for all my birthday messages. Docked in Cadiz earlier this morning. Another sunny day with temperature in the 20s forecast. Hope everyone is well back home.

Sunday, 9 January 2022 - Barcelona for my Birthday.

A sign of the times and we started the day with a lateral flow test.
Both negative as we expected but a relief as well.

I opened my presents and cards before we went to breakfast in the MDR.

There was a noticeable drop in temperatures today and quite windy although sheltered from it on the balcony we wouldn’t get any sun on it today until after we have sailed away and by then it will be going down anyway.

We hadn’t any real plans for Barcelona but decided to explore a different area than usual. We normally head straight to the Ramblas and the fabulous market but on a Sunday the market would be closed .
This time we headed for the Port Vell area very close to the shuttle drop off point. We toyed with the idea of going on the cable car ride but the wind put me off that idea. Instead we headed for the Barcelona Wheel. It was only 7 Euros each and the views from the top were fabulous.
There is a mall here called Maremagnum which is open on a Sunday and situated right by the marina. We walked over the wooden bridge which opens to allow the yachts and boats to pass into the marina. The alarm went off whilst we were still crossing which was a bit disconcerting but we got safely across before it opened.
The mall was a bit of a disappointment as a lot of the units were empty probably because of Covid and the lack of tourists.
Garry bought me some sunglasses for my birthday.

The eating establishments there were far more interesting than the shops and we chose a tapas restaurant right by the waters edge with a great view of the multi million dollar yachts and in the sun.
We didn’t want much to eat as saving ourselves for the Epicurean tonight. The restaurant was called Tapa Tapa not very original but great food and a different ‘take’ on the usual tapas dishes. Garry announced that it was the best Russian salad he had tasted anywhere and as he always orders it whenever we are eating out that is a good recommendation.

Back on the ship we were not in the sun and as soon as I led on the bed and closed my eyes I fell asleep.

The Captains evening announcement was to say that due to the high winds the refuelling of Iona was behind schedule and we wouldn’t be departing until around 8 p.m. This meant that anything purchased from the bars and restaurants would have an additional 10% Spanish tax added onto the bill.

Dinner in the Epicurean was exceptional again and the quietest it had
been over the two cruises. Brian and Christine were also eating in there and we confirmed the arrangements to meet up tomorrow for coffee.

It was still menu 1 as this is day 6 of the cruise but will change to menu 2 tomorrow for the rest of this cruise.

We had been given a half bottle of champagne which we drank whilst ordering and with the starter and as the Epicurean does not stock our favourite wine we had called at the Emerald bar to collect one.

I ordered the Jamon Pata Negra to start very tasty served with Manchego cheese and olives. Garry stuck to his usual cream of Celeriac and White wine truffle soup.
We both ordered the Black Cod and Lobster tail with Avruga Caviar and both finished with the Crêpes Suzette.

An excellent meal and a lovely way to spend my birthday.
Our plan was to spend the rest of the evening in the Emerald bar sampling cocktails but we were both too ‘full’ and had enough alcohol for one day that we decided to save the Cocktails for tomorrow.

Monday, 10 January 2022 - sea Day to Cadiz

A lazy sunny sea day which we started with Breakfast in the main dining room. The sun was on our balcony but we knew it wouldn’t last because we were travelling Westerly so would soon disappear over the top of ship.

When we walked past Anderson’s the testing stations were set up as anyone wanting to get off in Lisbon had to have an LFT and certificate. The cost was £18 per person. There were no queues but a few people being tested. During the day names were called out to contact reception. On the last cruise this usually meant positive tests but could also be inconclusive tests.

We had arranged to meet Brian & Christine in Vistas for a coffee and catch up before we went for lunch. It was great to catch up and share experiences.

Due to Covid there are no longer the behind the scenes tours of the bridge and engine room. Instead an officer gave a talk in the theatre with photographs. It is now a Virtual Bridge tour instead of an actual bridge tour. He was very good and managed to inject some humour into the subject.

After dinner we went to see Comedian Herbie Adams in the Club House. Very funny and completely eccentric. Hoping to see his next show in a coupe of days.

We finished the night in the Emerald bar. Love the cocktails in there. The busker Nate Fury was entertaining in there, another excellent evening on board Iona.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all from a sunny but cold morning here in Swansea.

Good Morning all. Arrived in Lisbon early morning. Our final port of call and it is blue skies and sunny but still quite chilly.

Tuesday, 11 January 2022 - Cadiz

Another glorious clear day but very cool first thing. As we were here last cruise and the cruise before that we didn’t have anything planned. We had a brisk walk to the centre, coffee and Churros then to the supermarket for a few soft drinks.
The idea was to have lunch out but it was so hot and we were so overdressed now the sun was up we walked back to the ship.

As luck would have it on the lunch menu was Frito misto exactly what I would have paid for on shore. It was delicious.

Back at the cabin I changed into swim wear whilst Garry opened the pink champagne and I had a lovely afternoon in the sun overlooking beautiful Cadiz.

We stayed out to watch the sailaway and passed the most gorgeous yacht called Yazz. It is apparently owned by a sultan and worth around 20 million. It has 60 cabins just for crew.

We ate in the Beach House for the first time this cruise. We tried it when we were on Iona in September and although then it was free of charge we really didn’t enjoy it as the menu was very limited and the venue just lacked any atmosphere.
Now there is a cover charge of £7.50 per person plus supplements for some dishes.

The service here is excellent. All the crew were very friendly and were happy to chat with passengers. This could be because it was so quiet in there.

I was still disappointed with the both the starter menu and the desert menu. No breaded prawns, No taco salad. I ordered the Nachos which were okay but far too much for a starter. Garry ordered Potato skins which again he said were okay but not like the Beach House menu on Aurora.

We both enjoyed our main course as he ordered the lava rock steak at a supplement of £5 which was served with 3 large grilled prawns.
I ordered the Hanging Kebab supplement £8.50, which other than the Octopus which was inedible was absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. It is such a shame the octopus was over cooked and rubbery.

The deserts were completely different from the other ships and we neither of us enjoyed our choices. They looked amazing but for my taste far too sweet and sickly. I used to really enjoy the Key Lime Sundae on Aurora.

Overall we enjoyed the meal and the service but the venue definitely lacks atmosphere. I really hope that when we board Aurora next month that the menu choices are different to Iona.

We went straight to the theatre to see Neil Lockwood the lead vocalist for ELO 2. What an amazing showman he is. His piano and guitar skills were the best ever. He even played the piano one handed whilst lying on the the floor. He deservedly got a standing ovation. I hope his second show is as good on the final night.

This will probably be my final post until we reach Southampton on Saturday.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Thank you for the cruise reports Sue. Safe journey home.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Last cruise report from Sue

Good morning all,

Haven’t had Wi-Fi since leaving Lisbon.

Wednesday, 12 January 2022 - Lisbon

The clocks went back an hour overnight and we are now on UK time.

It was still dark when we sailed under the Lisbon bridge. We docked where Aida Nova had been docked on 30 January. Was that really 2 weeks ago?
We will have the sun our balcony until lunch time then I will have to go in search of it on the top decks after that. It was quite chilly and although nice sat in the sun, certainly not sunbathing weather.

We had another lazy day wandering around the ship. I am not sure how many got off today in Lisbon as the majority we spoke to hadn’t intended disembarking in Lisbon. The atrium area was quite busy this morning but the rest of the ship was very quiet.

After lunch we had a look on the top deck as it was sunny. There were a few people around in swim wear but even fully clothed I thought the the wind was cold. It was coming from the aft of the ship so probably warmer nearer the front.

We started sorting a few things out in the cabin ready for packing but our heart wasn’t really in it as we still have 2 more full days sailing home.

Another excellent dinner in the main dining room then we went up to deck 16 to see the Triboo the aerial show.
We both hate this venue but I really wanted to see this show so decided to put up with it. As the show had been on last night as well we expected it to be quieter.
We got our seats on the upper level and ordered a drink before realising we were close to an automatic door that opened every time anyone walked past it from inside or out and the cold wind blew in.
The overpowering smell of chlorine and the noise of the pool water swishing around confirmed my dislike for this venue.

We moved to a banquet seat and had just settled down when the announcement was made that the show was cancelled due to the motion of the ocean. They anticipated the swells dying down and that the later show would go ahead. Instead they put on the 15 minute Ignite show with the laser lights.

We went to The emerald bar where I ordered an East meets West cocktail served in a gold tankard.
Grey Goose Vodka with dry vermouth pineapple juice, passion fruit and Chai spiced syrup. Very tasty but I preferred the Pink flamingo one. The rum based one served in a pineapple was not available and hadn’t been all cruise.

I went back up to the Skydome for the later show but realised when I walked in and the stage effects were being dismantled that this show was also cancelled. A waiter confirmed that the sea state was too rough for the performance to go ahead safely.

Sea day tomorrow and the forecast is for calm seas and clear skies all the way back to Southampton.

Sea days home
As the Captain promised calm seas and hot sunshine on the 1 st day. We did some packing then I just sat in the sun until it went down. unbelievable weather for mid January in the Atlantic. Final formal night and delicious Lobster meal in Epicurean followed by cocktails in the Emerald Bar.

Final sea day was still very calm the weather in the morning was overcast and notably cooler. We finished the packing and then the sun came out again. We have been so lucky with the weather. Two great cruises and 28 days away from the UK winter weather.

Disembarkation this morning was a breeze. Our venue was Anderson’s to depart at 8 am. We wandered down there about 7:40 and was told we could disembark immediately. Straight through cases found instantly, through customs who were busy with other pax so left us to go straight through, taxis were waiting for business at the port but we had to walk past 3 to get one that could fit the luggage in.
We were back at the hotel and loaded up for 08:10. Quite foggy in patches but hopefully will be home for 2 p.m. ish.

Sue x

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

Thank you Sue for your cruise reports I have really enjoyed reading them.
Up the Palace

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thanks so much for the reports Sue. I just love reading them.

I am now looking forward to your Aurora Caribbean reports in February.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

What they said Sue.
Thanks
Love reading your cruise posts
Empty vessels .. and all that

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by rogerrovers »

I have also enjoyed reading your cruise reports , thank you for posting .

Jenny

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Good reports as usual Sue.

If I may ask.

1. You say that Jam Shed is available on board. Do you know if that is across the fleet and is it the Shiraz and/or Chardonnay? What price is it (Tesco sells it for £7 a bottle!)?

2. Was there any Covid testing required for the b2b changeover?

3. Did you have to do a PLF for each cruise or one at the end and if so did you have to list the ports of call for both cruises?

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

As others have said I also enjoyed reading your reports shall look forward to reading any future ones :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I also enjoy them but they are soooooo lonnnnng :lol: :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

They maybe long, but certainly not long winded, I find Sue's reports easy to read, informative and entertaining.
Thank you Sue for some summer holiday fun in the middle of winter.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

See you in a couple of weeks sue xx

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

david63 wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 15:37
Good reports as usual Sue.

If I may ask.

1. You say that Jam Shed is available on board. Do you know if that is across the fleet and is it the Shiraz and/or Chardonnay? What price is it (Tesco sells it for £7 a bottle!)?

2. Was there any Covid testing required for the b2b changeover?

3. Did you have to do a PLF for each cruise or one at the end and if so did you have to list the ports of call for both cruises?
Hi David,

Jam Shed was available from the Glass House on Aurora pre Covid approx £17 a bottle hope it still is when we board in February. On Iona it had gone up to £19 a bottle. You are paying far too much at Tesco. We wait for the Asda offers. £7 a bottle reduced to £5.50 but buy 6 get 25% off. Bargain. It was the Shiraz don’t know about Chardonnay.

Yes Covid testing for b2b day before changeover day although sometimes on changeover day. These were
done on ship in Anderson’s.

We were not allowed off ship in Southampton so no plf required for 1 st cruise. Even had we been allowed off as I understand it we would have been classed as in transit so wouldn’t have needed one. Not 100% sure of that.

Return to “Iona Cruise Reports”