LV Travel Insurance

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

LV Travel Insurance

Post by david63 »

Having been trawling through numerous travel insurance sites over the last couple of days I came across LV whose price almost seems too good to be true compared to most other companies - half that of the best that I had previously found and less than a quarter of the "silly" quotes. All of this taking into account age and medical conditions and I believe, yet to be confirmed, that LV cover non positive disembarkations.

So my question is - does anyone have any experience of LV's travel insurance?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: LV Travel Insurance

Post by oldbluefox »

We have used LV in the past and unfortunately had to make a claim. Excellent service.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 08:35
Having been trawling through numerous travel insurance sites over the last couple of days I came across LV whose price almost seems too good to be true compared to most other companies - half that of the best that I had previously found and less than a quarter of the "silly" quotes. All of this taking into account age and medical conditions and I believe, yet to be confirmed, that LV cover non positive disembarkations.

There is confusion on CC about whether LV do cover negative offload costs. I think this would need clarification beforehand.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 08:44
We have used LV in the past and unfortunately had to make a claim. Excellent service.
Thanks for that :thumbup:
towny44 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 09:02
There is confusion on CC about whether LV do cover negative offload costs. I think this would need clarification beforehand.
There is confusion on CC about most travel insurance policies that is why I said that "it is yet to be confirmed" - meaning by me

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Have chums who have used them for many years ... no issues that I am aware of.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The offload issue seems to be a live and contoversial one everywhere at the moment, including in P&O and Saga Facecloth groups I follow.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 22 Jan 2022, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

One of the neighbours suggested I should try them ... he swears by them and has all his policies with LV and says they were excellent when he needed to make a claim. So I ran a quote through for travel insurance ... over £1200 whereas I had plenty of quotes for under a third of that. Do your searches and find out wo is offering the best deal, in our case it is Aviva ... and show no loyalty!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:36
Do your searches and find out wo is offering the best deal
I do
and show no loyalty
I don't
in our case it is Aviva
Aviva won't insure us because of their age limit
So I ran a quote through for travel insurance ... over £1200
That does surprise me as the quote I have was around a third of that - but that was for Europe only and I am guessing that yours is worldwide including USA

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Yea, worldwide inc USA, Caribbean etc. - at the price being quoted I would like to think it also covered the Moon and Mars (not the chocolate one).
I near cried when I got this years quotes, more than double of what we paid for 2019/2020.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

At least you can get yours without exemptions ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I can't comment on LV's Travel Insurance but I now have my house and car insurance with them. When John died I dealt with innumerable insurance companies, banks, and so on. Without a doubt the best company I dealt with was LV. The help and kindliness I received from them outdid any other company - don't even mention Prudential to me! I would go so far as to say that when and if I want any Travel Insurance I will go first to LV and I would even consider paying extra to be with them. No I haven't made any claim so I can't say what they are like in that respect. I've added extra drivers to my car insurance and altered my house insurance and each time I phone my request/query has been dealt with quickly and efficiently. If you'd dealt with as many companies as I have within the last year you'd realise how refreshing it is to find a company where you don't dread phoning them - as I do Prudential!

Carole

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

I use LV travel insurance but have never had to make a claim so can't comment on their service in that respect

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 08:35

Surprised they quoted a good price David. Never had travel insurance from them but have had buildings and contents for years with them until the premiums became ridiculously high. Perhaps like most insurance companies they dangle the carrot for new customers for the first year then hike it up when the renewal comes round, which means start looking elsewhere again, like we all do. I assume the excesses aren't too bad.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Did I imagine it or is it now illegal for insurance companies to hike renewal prices?

We currently get our travel insurance with our NatWest current account. We pay a supplement because we're both over 70. But I was pleasantly surprised the supplement after my heart op and cancer treatment wasn't too bad. Ours is an annual worldwide policy and they've confirmed they cover the requirements of cruise companies. I haven't yet asked about the cover if you are healthy but disembarked because a travel companion has Covid. I will be asking before we cruise in May.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 17:02
Did I imagine it or is it now illegal for insurance companies to hike renewal prices?
No you did not imagine it - started at the beginning of the year - new customers and renewal customers have to be offered the same price

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Difficult to prove though unless you know someone who has taken out a new exact same policy the same time of your renewal I would have thought.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 08:05
Difficult to prove though unless you know someone who has taken out a new exact same policy the same time of your renewal I would have thought.
Not really - when you get your renewal do an online quote and see if there is a difference as the two should be the same (to within a couple of pounds)
Last edited by david63 on 23 Jan 2022, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just as I thought ;)

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Stephen wrote’ Difficult to prove though unless you know someone who has taken out a new exact same policy the same time of your renewal I would have thought’

I was really surprised by the importance of time. I wanted to alter the details on my car insurance (John Lewis) and phoned to do this. I couldn’t give details of where the car would be parked during the day and said I would ring back in a couple of days. The agent said she would give me a quote ‘for today’ which would be honoured but that when all details were known I could ask for a new quote and take whichever was the better rate. She said insurance premiums change daily depending on market conditions and underwriting targets.
Last edited by Ranchi on 23 Jan 2022, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”