Caribbean Cruise ( Sue and Garry). March 22.

Reports about cruises on Aurora

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Caribbean Cruise ( Sue and Garry). March 22.

Post by MaureenB »

As always Sue, I have really enjoyed your reports even though you seemed somewhat restricted due to Covid. You always find the good side of things.
Safe journey home.

How long do we have to wait for your next reports?

Best wishes to you both

Maureen

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Just docked in Southampton and had buffet breakfast.

I have seen Margaret and Colin and it appears their symptoms were mild as have been all the passengers I have spoken to.

The last few days have been quiet ones as our friends succumbed to Covid after Praia Vittoria. We kept testing as although we haven’t mixed inside we spent lots of evenings outside with them. All of our tests have been negative.
They were supposed to be staying onboard for the next cruise but will be offloaded later this morning. Luckily they don’t have far to travel home and they both have mild symptoms.

An unusual cruise but still enjoyable especially in the Caribbean islands. Even with the restrictions we are looking forward to our next cruises.

Thanks all who commented, if I have missed any questions I apologise. Internet has been unreliable on board.

Sue

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Quick question.

What’s the cover charge for the Beach House.?
Mel

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

What happened about the packing/unpacking for those doing B2B?

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

screwy wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 11:16
Quick question.

Garry says £7.50 I thought it was less than that but seeing as he pays the bills!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Quick question.

Garry says £7.50 I thought it was less than that but seeing as he pays the bills!
Last edited by david63 on 01 Apr 2022, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

david63 wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 11:32
What happened about the packing/unpacking for those doing B2B?
David, it was solved, then changed then changed again.

1. Everyone on b2b had to pack then get off for test.
2 everyone on b2b got a test Thursday then again will have one on Saturday no need to pack up or get off.
3 everyone who tested positive at anytime on this cruise could not to b2 b and we’re only told on Thursday at the test so then had to go and pack.
4. After they had packed those who had isolated for 10 days and released could continue on the b2b only told after they had packed.

You couldn’t make up the ineptitude of the admin on this ship.

Just rec’d the how did we do questionnaire from P & O. They are very brave.
Last edited by david63 on 01 Apr 2022, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I wonder if the problem with P&Os admin is that no one is encouraged to question instructions from above, so the initial details are enacted, which are then queried by passengers, leading to amendments from above, which probably lead to further passenger queries, ad infinitum.
We find the on board customer services are always reluctant to escalate queries up the command chain, which often results in unsatisfactory delays to resolve the issue. We find RCI and Celebrity are the opposite, even minor problems must cross the desk of more senior management, because we nearly always get several follow up phone calls checking that we are fully satisfied with the outcome.
But despite myself, and I know of others, repeatedly pointing these sort of flaws to Southampton, nothing ever changes. Maybe P&O could do worse than poach some senior executives from the RCI group.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Suekersh wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 14:23
Quick question.

Ok thank Sue, roll on June 4.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 16:01
I wonder if the problem with P&Os admin is that no one is encouraged to question instructions from above, so the initial details are enacted, which are then queried by passengers, leading to amendments from above, which probably lead to further passenger queries, ad infinitum.
We find the on board customer services are always reluctant to escalate queries up the command chain, which often results in unsatisfactory delays to resolve the issue. We find RCI and Celebrity are the opposite, even minor problems must cross the desk of more senior management, because we nearly always get several follow up phone calls checking that we are fully satisfied with the outcome.
But despite myself, and I know of others, repeatedly pointing these sort of flaws to Southampton, nothing ever changes. Maybe P&O could do worse than poach some senior executives from the RCI group.
No thanks. I found Celebrity's admin grossly incompetent.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

At one time, and I don't know if this is still the case, if you had any issue you could request that it was logged and in that way it would be brought to the attention of senior management - possibly the Captain.

I do wonder, and I am not being racist here, that some of the middle management being from another culture do not feel able to question the management tiers above them.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 18:15
You're basing that on one cruise with them Merv, we have done 8 and they would get 9 stars from me, as opposed to P&O who are only worth 5 after about 10 cruises.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We did as well ...
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Enjoyed reading your updates on the cruise as others have said "different" but nice that you still had a good time

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 20:10
You're basing that on one cruise with them Merv, we have done 8 and they would get 9 stars from me, as opposed to P&O who are only worth 5 after about 10 cruises.
You only get one chance to make a first impression.

I remain baffled you've done more cruises on your 5 star cruise line than your 9 star line.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 17:29
towny44 wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 20:10

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

I remain baffled you've done more cruises on your 5 star cruise line than your 9 star line.
It seems strange to me as well Merv, but we have done a number of winter season cruises on P&O, including 3 no fly Caribbean cruises, as well as some October and April cruises, when the US ships have returned to the Caribbean. Additionally the brexit devaluation, and Celebrity's move upmarket, has made Celebrity far more expensive, and I am from Yorkshire!!!
John

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We were on the same cruise as sue and Garry - it was indeed a strange cruise….luckily we did not succumb to Covid - I hate to admit it but standards ( imo) have definitely dropped especially in the food dept - frozen cheese, our champagne served in a hot wine cooler - watered down shower gel…. I agree with sue that the Caribbean was very nice but I’m glad our next cruise is with Cunard - hopefully things will be abit better but who knows!!

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”