Ellington Lodge at The Concorde

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Ellington Lodge at The Concorde

Post by oldbluefox »

Came across this place for an overnight stay. It had decent reviews so we have booked it.
Has anyone stayed there and what did you think?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ellington Lodge at The Concorde

Post by david63 »

Where is it?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Found it - it is Eastleigh.

We prefer to stay a bit further out from Southampton - partly as it is not as far to drive and partly as it gives us something to do on the morning of the cruise.

As a side note, and somewhat off topic, has anyone else noticed that since hotels, and restaurants, have reopened after Covid that their menus have become less adventurous boring and very similar to one another?

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Just for an overnight stay we are not too bothered just as long as it's clean and comfortable. It's not as though it's a long break.
We did once stay at the Premier Inn in Andover. We didn't think it was one of their best and the pub next door was no better.
We always try to get as close to Southampton as we can and get the bulk of the driving out of the way, leaving just a short drive the next day.
I'm always interested though to hear what others do and where they stay.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We're the same. Like to get close the day before to reduce the chance of a road closure or accident getting in our way. We've often stopped at the Hilton.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 19 Feb 2022, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

We like to stay somewhere around the Newbury area which is then about a 45 minute drive down to the docks

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 12:18
Came across this place for an overnight stay. It had decent reviews so we have booked it.
Has anyone stayed there and what did you think?
We often stay at Chilworth Manor the night before but they are getting too pricey.

We’ve stayed at Ellington Lodge once Foxy a few years ago and have booked it for this year as well. Good value and can cancel without fees within days of travel. Free parking and Meals are taken next door at the THE MOLDY FIG where there is also entertainment on certain nights (ticket only).

When we last stayed there we happened to walk into the bar and playing in the show area was a Simply Red tribute singer. Well honestly I could have sworn it was the man himself, he was that good.

If you fancy a bit of entertainment and it’s available the night your there check out their calendar of events.

https://www.theconcordeclub.com/section ... 1/whats-on
Last edited by Stephen on 19 Feb 2022, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

david63 wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 13:16
We like to stay somewhere around the Newbury area which is then about a 45 minute drive down to the docks
I'd worry being that far away. We went down once and the M3 was closed from its junction with the A34 because of a prang. The diversion was torturous, grid locked and slow. Luckily it was the day before.

We've stayed at Chilworth a few times then changed to the Hilton when they had an especially good deal on stay and park. We liked it and stayed a few times but were put off on our penultimate stay when service was dreadful. Very slow in the restaurant, a waiter at breakfast who had never heard of Earl Grey tea, an incorrect bill and a phantom charge to our credit card two days after we left. They said it was for dinner but we were in the Bay of Biscay at the time. So now trying something new.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 15:08
I'd worry being that far away. We went down once and the M3 was closed from its junction with the A34 because of a prang. The diversion was torturous, grid locked and slow.
To some extent I would agree but as we aim to arrive at the terminal around midday then in worst case scenario it still gives us around six hours and if the traffic is that bad then half the ship wil be stuck in the traffic.

When the family lived in Portsmouth we were up and down the A34 almost every month (well it seemed like it at the time!) so we are well aware of the problems but since the Newbury bypass opened the horrendous delays seem to have abated

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Stephen wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 13:28

We often stay at Chilworth Manor the night before but they are getting too pricey.

We’ve stayed at Ellington Lodge once Foxy a few years ago and have booked it for this year as well. Good value and can cancel without fees within days of travel. Free parking and Meals are taken next door at the THE MOLDY FIG where there is also entertainment on certain nights (ticket only).
Thanks Stephen.
We have stayed at Chilworth Manor on a few occasions and like it there but, as you say, they are getting pricey.

We have also stayed at the Travelodge in Eastleigh. It's not far from the motorway and there's a pub, Ham Farm right next door which does some decent food. The only issue with it is there is nowhere near for breakfast the next day although we nip down the road to the petrol station, fill up with petrol and get some croissants and fruit juice for a DIY breakfast.

We have also stayed at Ibis Southampton which is good and serves our needs and of course it is just over the road from the dock gates, but that too was pricey for what you get. Ellington Lodge is a new experience for us and we are looking forward to it.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

david63 wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 15:14

When the family lived in Portsmouth we were up and down the A34 almost every month (well it seemed like it at the time!) so we are well aware of the problems but since the Newbury bypass opened the horrendous delays seem to have abated
We once got turned off the A34 due to an accident and what a nightmare that was!!! It cost us 2-3 hours a everywhere became gridlocked and then we got turned off the M6 and re-routed through Preston at rush hour. It was a total nightmare of a journey. Thankfully you will gather we were on our way home otherwise we could have been panicking.
I'm happy to get the bulk of the journey out of the way, then I can start to relax.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 15:21
re-routed through Preston at rush hour. It was a total nightmare of a journey.
Preston not in the rush hour is a nightmare :o

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

I have stayed at the Ellington Lodge on a few occasions and it was good. Clean, friendly and good sized rooms and bathroom. As Stephen said the Moldy Fig is worth eating in as it is much buzzier than their main restaurant and the food was better. The breakfast was good too, freshly cooked and substantial.

If there is music in the Moldy Fig all the better. The last time I was there there was a Jazz trio. They looked ancient and we didn't hold out a lot of hope that they would be any good. But were we wrong............they were great.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We've had that same experience Maureen with ancient jazz bands who look as though they need propping up but are absolutely superb.

Pleased to hear good words about Ellington Lodge. I'd never heard it being mentioned before and wondered if some people knew something we didn't. Sounds like a good find for us.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Foxy

Breakfast is included in the price and is taken next door in The Moldy Fig restaurant.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Old Blue Fox.
We have stayed overnight on numerous times over the years, mainly when we did world Cruises. On all our occasions they have been very good and polite. The park & stay they do served us very well and was a whole lot cheaper to do when we have been. We learnt not to have a full dinner the night before as the breakfast the next was all we needed and we didnt really need to eat when we got on board next day.
The last we had used them was in 2015. Since we no longer do World cruises we now either drive down and park & cruise or taxi it there.
I am guess they still do a very good cruise parking & stay.
Hope that answers your question.
Hi everyone I have not been on here for quite a while.
Melanie

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thank you Melanie. It's somewhere we had never heard of before but I came across it on Google, it seemed to have good reviews so we decided to give it a try. I'm pleased that others have been there and if it's good enough for you and Stephen it's good enough for me!!!! :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

:thumbup:

Nothing wrong with the Concorde Foxy, but we have since re-booked at the Double Tree Hilton where we have stayed a few times before. The price was too good to miss at the time.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Just had a look at Ellington Lodge and it's nearly twice the price we are paying. In fact all of the hotels are quite expensive for the date I have.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The prices change regularly Foxy. You just have to be lucky and see the deals on the day. Double Tree Hilton tripled in price not long after we booked.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”