'New' Marella Cruise Ship

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

'New' Marella Cruise Ship

Post by CaroleF »

I had an email this morning telling me about the new Marella Cruise Ship, Marella Voyager. Nothing in the blub leads you to realise that it's not new at all. On investigation it started life in 1997 as Celebrity Mercury and then transferred to Mein Schiff as Mein Schiff 2 and then Mein Schiff Herz. I wonder if people who are interested in it would bother to research whether it is a new ship or not. I don't really know anything about Marella cruises, I think it might be owned by Tui.

I don't know how well Fred Olsen is doing with its two reinvented Holland America Ships. Living near Southampton I heard on the radio the other morning warnings of heavy traffic because there were 5 cruise ships in port that day. This seems to be happening quite often, I did hear warnings of 6 in the other day. I didn't think Southampton had room for that many.

Carole

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: 'New' Marella Cruise Ship

Post by Bensham33 »

The new name for Thomson Cruises. All Thomson ships weren't new. They are more Ocean Village than P&O. Very informal, food I would say is on par with P&O, entertainment superior. I've enjoyed several cruises with Thomson and they were brilliant. Tips included but I remember the crew were so good they got extra tips.

I haven't been with Marella yet but hope to go next year.
Up the Palace

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We were berthed near Mein Schiff Herz in Palma during our last cruise, and I have to say it was looking in very good condition. I believe it undertook a major refurbishment when it was first transferred to Tui in 2011. So it is quite possibly in far better nick than all but the newest 2 P&O ships.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just had a look on their website.

I'm afraid the ships just don't do it for me.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I remember a survey being done about 10 or so years ago and customer loyalty for TUI/Marella came out very highly. A friend of ours was on their first Marella cruise ... unfortunately that was when the COVID outbreak kicked off so their 2 week cruise got cancelled and they were offloaded after just 1 week ... but they said it was very similar to P&O but maybe a little bit more cheesy around the pool.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”