Sue and Garry's circumnavigation of South America

Aurora cruises in 2023

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry's circumnavigation of South America

Post by Ray B »

Sounds like Leo goes the extra mile to ensure the guests are happy, good for him.
Is there a department at P&O who make up important sounding titles -

Bethany Bond who is the Director of Guest Acquisition and Retention or in her words head of the Loyalty team

Say no more.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all.
Here is the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Friday 24 February 2023 - Aruba
A little liquid sunshine to start the morning but it soon cleared up.

I had a snorkelling trip booked which left straight from the dockside. It was a large catamaran and needed to be as there were a lot of passengers on board.

After the safety briefing I went onto the front of the Cat as did the other sun lovers. The breeze was lovely and we had the stunning view of all the hotels and beaches as we sailed along the island. It was at this point that I realised I had left my waterproof camera back in the cabin. I used my phone but there won’t be any fishy photos from today.

The free bar was open for soft drinks only until the snorkelling was finished but they were unlimited.

The first snorkel stop was over a the wreck of a container ship. Some fish around and by the wreck was a huge fish. I kept my eye on it to make sure it stayed way down there.
The visibility wasn’t great as the sea was choppy but I could make out the front of the wreck then swam along it from there and back to the cat. Some passengers did have problems getting back on board because of the waves.

The next stop was over a reef and very calm with blue clear warm water. This was a good stop and we could enter the sea by the slide instead of the steps. The fish were circling the boat and could be seen easily. The reef was very close by and the fish plentiful.

Once we were all back on board the bar opened and the rum punch flowed. I went back onto the front of the Cat into the sun and enjoyed the sail back to Aurora.

We had dinner outside in the Beach House and I finished with a perfect key lime sundae. Just like they used to be.

Sea day tomorrow before we reach Barbados.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Saturday, 25 February -Sea day to Barbados

Some early morning liquid sunshine during the morning the sun always broke through in between the cloud bursts.

Captains midday announcement and his final one for this cruise as he departs Aurora tomorrow in Barbados.

He gave some final figures for the cruise up to today.
Aurora has sailed 13,719 miles, used 3,000 tonnes heavy fuel costing 1,350,000 and 750 tonnes of gas oil fuel used for docking and power in port at a cost of £590,000.

I hope the new Captain Russell Robson gives the final figures as we return to Southampton.

Sunday, 26 February 2023 - Barbados

I had an early trip booked on a catamaran to snorkel and see the turtles.

Soon after boarding Aurora way back in January I received a notification that the trip would leave 1 hour later than scheduled but no reason given other than operational reasons.

We found out yesterday that the port we had been assigned required a shuttle to the terminal hence the later start to the tour.

Marella ship was on turnaround day so they were allocated the dock close to the terminal. There were plenty of shuttles and it saved the walk in the intense heat.

Because of the later start by the time our catamaran arrived at the turtles site many boats from hotels etc were already there. The turtles had been well fed and had swum off elsewhere.

We saw a solitary one swimming away as soon as we got into the water but that was all. We saw a huge stingray and a very large starfish.

Next stop was the snorkel over the wreck and there were hundreds of fish there, the water was calm and clear and a great snorkel spot.

The catamaran then headed away from the Carlisle Bay Area and headed further along the coast to Paradise beach. This was virtually deserted. There had been a development started pre Covid and has nicer been completed. Such a shame and a lovely spot.

We had lunch on the catamaran then swam to the beach to walk along. There were many stones piled up to make unusual figures along the beach. Most passengers stayed on board the catamaran enjoying the free bar and the sunshine.

Once back on board the Catamaran set sail again along the coast as far as Sandy Lane hotel then turned around and headed back to the ship. The drinks were unlimited and the crew eager to please.

Garry was waiting for me to return and had the kettle on ready for me.

We had decided not to rush getting ready for evening meal in Alexandra and instead went to the Glass House. Another fabulous meal and a change of menu. It changes every week The Sicilian Fish Stew is my favourite but so far this cruise I had missed it. It was soooo good.

After dinner we sat outside. It was a late sailaway around 08:30.

Next Island is St Lucia.
Last edited by david63 on 27 Feb 2023, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatting

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Sue you are having a whale of a time and how wonderful to do the snorkelling. Not something I could do as I am not good in water if i cannot touch the water, not very confident. I hadn't realised that Russel Robson had become a Captain. The last time I saw him he was a deputy on the 2012 World Cruise. The table we were allocated were good friends of his and so he dined at our table a couple of times & at cabin parties. He is so funny and on that cruise he and the Captain at the time were quite a double act with hilarious announcements.
Look forward to hearing the rest of your voyage. Thanks for sharing.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Could almost feel I was back in the Caribbean, especially Barbados. Thanks so much for giving us so much detail in your reports.

Carole

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Here is todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Monday 27 February 2023- St Lucia

We arrived early morning and Arvia was not far behind us.

We were allocated the Old dock by the market with easy access into the bustling city.

Arvia was berthed at the new dock Seraphine point which is a purpose built cruise terminal with plenty of shops and bars.

There is a small ferry boat which goes between the two docks and each ship has access to both areas.

We hadn’t any plans for today and I didn’t want to go to the beach again. We watched the catamaran trips leave. One problem with this berth is that there is no shade for people waiting for the trips. They waited for the Cat to arrive for a very long time. I thought my catamaran trip yesterday was busy but todays was even fuller. It appeared that many passengers didn’t board as it was just too full.

We caught the little ferry which cost 6 US dollars return which took us to Seraphine point. A lovely port area selling Caribbean souvenirs, some up market jewellery shops, and plenty of bars and cafés.

We chose a quiet bar with some shade as it was incredibly hot. It was great free Wi-Fi and we caught up with some admin whilst enjoying a Piton beer.

Next call was the Real Ale Bar before we returned to the little ferry boat to go back into the city port area and market.
What amazed me was the number of passengers from Arvia queuing to get to the shabby city port yet the passengers on Aurora were complaining that Aurora had got the worst dock.

I bought a dress in the market area then returned to the ship and the aft deck where there was a lovely breeze.

It was a raucous sailaway from St Lucia. We sailed away first and the passengers from Arvia were shouting and waving. It and would have been the perfect time for an aft deck sailaway party but the advertised sailaway party was at the Riviera pool.

We had our own sailaway party on the aft deck.

Manuel Martinez was the entertainment in the theatre and many passengers were leaving dinner early to ensure they got seats.

We had another evening under the stars on the aft deck.

Tomorrow we are in Antigua.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Tuesday, 28 February 2023 - Antigua

I went to the tours desk early morning and booked a trip on a catamaran to Paradise reef snorkel and beach break.
There were only 20 of us on aCatamaran which would have taken more than 50.

First stop was the reef where there was an abundance of fish of all colours and sizes. There was a huge Snapper fish which stayed with us the whole time we were in the water.

Once back on board the rum punch was brought out and some tuna or cheese sandwiches.

The beach stop didn’t involve swimming to beach as we could just walk off.Paradise beach suited its name. Very quiet, Sandy beach with crystal clear water. The only down side was the Sandy ledge to get in and out of water.

The trip was only for 3 hours.
When I returned Garry had been into the port area and picked up some cabin supplies

After a quick shower and change Garry came with me for a look around the port area.
We stopped for a Wadadli beer which is the local Antigua beer and managed a few minutes of wi fi before the server crashed. We haven’t had much luck with wi fi at our ports of call.

I donated to the local economy buying a couple of Caribbean dresses from the local market. They are so easy to throw over swim wear and very colourful.

Peter Howard from the Hollies was performing his final show in the theatre. It was a tossup between another night under the stars or the theatre. The evening was so lovely watching the lights of Antigua disappear that we stayed on the deck.

Wednesday, 1 March 2023 - St Maarten

Docking was a major challenge this morning for the Bridge team.
The sea looked so very calm but there was a strong breeze.
The ropes snapped after being tied up and the Captain made the announcement that there would be a delay to disembarkation as he was waiting for another ship to dock next to us which may take shelter Aurora from the wind.

When he announced disembarkation very few passengers managed to get off before it was stopped again as the ship was still moving around. The Captain announced that the call would have to be abandoned but that as fuel was required we would go to anchor and tenders would be sent to collect those already off.

A great disappointment but safety comes first and we settled on the aft for the day. However only a few minutes later the Captain again announced that before going to anchor the pilot had suggested trying a different berth. One small ship had just left to go to anchor because of the wind but the pilot thought that Aurora would be okay there.

It took about an hour to get the ship berthed and stable. When the Captain announced that finally everyone could disembark he also extended our stay from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

We let the queues go down as everyone rushed to disembark, then had a walk around the terminal area. Plenty of duty free shops and bars here. We bought everything we needed which meant I didn’t need to trek over to the town for the duty free shopping.

We returned to the ship dropped off our shopping in the cabin and set up on the aft deck for the rest of the afternoon.

As it was our last Caribbean evening we had booked at the Beach House for our dinner. Many had the same idea and within a short time after opening there were no outside tables left. Another couple we had met on previous cruises and chatted to on deck joined us.
It was a great ending to our time in the Caribbean.

We now have six sea days to Punta Delgado.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Really enjoyed hearing about your adventures Sue. Hope you have calm seas across the Atlantic.

Thank you Lindsey for posting the reports on Sue’s behalf.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thank you Sue for the great reviews of your cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed them and I am sorry they have come to an end. As sorry as you must be at the upcoming final day on the lovely Aurora.

Will we have long to wait for your next odyssey?

Warm weather and calm seas on your last leg.

Best wishes

Maureen

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

As usual I have enjoyed reading your posts about your cruise. Reading about the Caribbean brings back many lovely memories I can almost feel the sunshine :D

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning everyone from a snowy Swansea.
Just received the latest update from Sue and Garry.

Thursday, 2 March 2023 - Sea days to the Azores
We gained an hour over night putting us 3 hours behind the UK.

The wind was still around on deck and the sun broke through the few clouds that were around. A fabulous lazy sunny sea day. The Captain and Hotel General Manager did a walk around the decks chatting to passengers.

Friday, 3 March and another lazy sea day followed by a formal night and the Peninsular party. These parties are now back to normal with officers attending and the Captain drawing out the prize winning invitations. We were near the back so couldn’t see what the first prize was other than the champagne, and the second prize was a bottle of champagne.
We had booked Sindhu for dinner which as usual was excellent.
Only one more formal night left on this cruise which is next Friday.

Saturday 4 th March - The clocks went forward again over night and
I definitely felt the difference in temperature this morning and had fleece and trousers on until 10 am when the sun finally fought off the clouds.

We dined in the Glass House with a friend for an evening meal. We hadn’t met up since before Covid so lots of catching up to do. It was very busy in there. The Glass House have now started serving their special deserts again, another sign that everything is returning to normal. We just need the extra special Chefs table back now, it won’t happen on this cruise but hopefully it won’t be too long now.

Sunday 5 th March, A much cooler start to the day and a fair amount of movement around the ship. When I went outside I wished I had stayed in bed. Trousers and fleece plus pashmina whilst I sat out and let the cabin steward in to service our cabin.

Some early morning gossip regarding our call into Punta Delgado in the Azores. Apparently a Whale watching trip has been cancelled due to the weather forecast and the gossipmongers are spreading the rumour that Aurora will not be calling there and we will call in Vigo instead. No formal announcement yet but the same gossip came from the laundry whilst Garry was in there so of course it must be true!

The weather did improve and I found a perfect spot in the sun and discarded my layers. It lasted a couple of hours then the clouds arrived and the sun just wasn’t strong enough to burn them off.

We decided to go for lunch in the dining room and as the clouds had won the battle when we returned I opted for a snooze in the cabin whilst Garry watched Liverpool demolish Man United.

The poltergeists returned for a cabin wrecking party as the sea swell increased.

Monday. 6 March, cooler again although some brave souls were still
Sitting out. There was some sun but the sea was very rough.
As we have been aboard for 60 days there was another muster drill. We only had to attend the muster station to have our cruise cards scanned.
The evening show was one of the entertainment team host Matthew. He was a great success at the Crew Talent show and was back by popular demand. Carmens was the busiest I had seen it this cruise.
The Captain told some passengers not to believe the laundry gossip and we are still heading for the Azores.

Tuesday 7 March

Final sea day to the Azores but the seas are very choppy although the sun keeps making an appearance. It is around 20 degrees with the sun and 17 degrees without. Garry is adamant that we won’t get into the Azores. The winds are forecast for around 30 miles an hour so unless they lessen overnight it will be another sea day tomorrow.

Wednesday 8 March - No Azores
We realised early morning that we were sailing past the islands. No announcement until 8 am when the Deputy Captain announced that the call was being aborted due to strong winds. Surprise Surprise!
No alternative port announced as yet.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 10:15
No announcement until 8 am when the Deputy Captain announced that the call was being aborted
Typical management - give the "bad news" jobs to your deputy :shock: and keep the "good news" jobs for yourself :lol:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Once Punta Dalgado is aborted, due to time, I've never known of an alternative port. It is Southampton next stop. With a couple of lows passing north of the Azores does not look like smooth sailing to UK.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Afternoon everyone, here is almost the last cruise update from Sue and Garry.
I have really enjoyed reading and posting these reports.
Lindsey

Wednesday 8 March continued: Sea Day

The deputy captain made the announcement just after lunch that P & O had secured an alternative dock at Vigo and we will be arriving there on Friday morning. Very strange that the laundry gossip pre emptied the Captains announcement by 3 days.

The day was both sunny and some cloud. Many passengers were out on deck but the wind reduced the temperature . The seas were still choppy and the poltergeist made an appearance. We decided to start packing the items we wouldn’t need anymore.
We had another excellent dinner in Sindhu for the final time this cruise and then went to the Glass House for the Cheeseboard and port.

Thursday 9 March 2023 - sea day to Vigo.
Another sunny day and less breezy than yesterday although Aurora was still Rocking and Rolling. We have certainly been lucky with the weather since leaving the Caribbean despite the wind causing issues. The Sun has had its hat on every day.
We packed another case today as tomorrow we are in port and the final day we will be crossing the Bay of Biscay.

It was Pulses final show of the cruise in Carmens. It was fabulous, they are all very talented and Jacob and Georgina complement each other so well.
I was so disappointed to hear they are leaving Aurora after this cruise and are moving onto the bigger ships.

I really hope they don’t leave Aurora for ever and come back for the next Grand Voyage. They are the best ‘Pulse group’ EVER and will be very much missed.

Tomorrow is our final port of the Grand Tour before we cross the dreaded Bay of Biscay and then home to the snow.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Sue and Garry, lucky you, all the times we have had an aborted call at the Azores it been carry on to Southampton. Those on the bridge of Aurora must have had a warning they would not be able to dock and had time to divert to Spain. A good port for a call.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Final report of the South American cruise .

Friday 10 March - Vigo

A reasonable forecast for the day and the sun was trying to break through the clouds and by lunchtime we were in the sun.

We walked through the shopping mall stopping at the Electronics superstore to buy yet another charger. We met a number of the crew in there shopping for their techy bits and pieces.
This is the easiest way to get into the town as there are escalators up to the top level and a walkway out of the mall which opens up at the top of the town.

There we bought a couple of beers and researched local tapas bars for a fishy lunch. One stood out by a mile with great reviews and we made our way to Taberna de Pedra. It is quite small and filled up rapidly mainly with cruise ship passengers. It is a very Spanish bar which the locals use and they were surprised how busy it was.
The food was excellent but not really tapas as we know it in Southern Spain but full dishes. Fish is of course the speciality as Vigo has the largest fishing fleet in Europe according to the Officer of the Watch.

It was the final formal night of the cruise and after dinner made our way up to the Crows Nest. Not the best place to be with high heels on and at the top and forward of the ship in gale force winds.
The salted caramel martini made it all worth while.

Saturday, 11 March 2023 - Final Sea Day and Sunday disembarkation day.

Usual final sea day when after breakfast we returned to the cabin to finish the packing. Even though we had been doing some each day since Thursday it still took to almost lunchtime. The sun wasn’t out and it was very cool outside so I did’ t feel like I was missing anything.

We said our goodbyes to members of the crew we had got to know over the last nine weeks. I get quite emotional as they become like family seeing them every day.

It has been another amazing adventure on our favourite ship.

From leaving home on January 5 th, to board Aurora on the 6 th we have travelled 18, 317 miles from Southampton, to Tenerife onto Mindelo in the Cape Verde Islands, then 3 ports in Brazil - Recife, Cabo Frio and the fabulous Rio de Janiero , two days in Uruguay, onto the Falklands, around Cape Horn, and a few days sailing in the amazing Chilean fjords and glaciers. Four Chilean ports which other than the first port which was a tender, caused some issues as they were Commercial ports where shuttle buses were required to get to the terminal. Chile is a long narrow country and a large part of the South American coast line. Once away from the commercial ports it has so much to offer.

Peru was a disappointment because of the riots and unrest there it wasn’t safe to disembark. We had only one day there for refuelling and a few market stalls set up for passengers to look and buy souvenirs. The second day was cancelled and we headed straight to Manta in Ecuador for 2 days.
Before we transmitted the Panama Canal we had a port day in Fuerte Amador which allowed us to visit Panama City.

Transmitting the Panama Canal was a fabulous experience and even though we have been through a few times it is still an exciting interesting day.

Cartagena was another amazing day as the Ligurian tier event was held there. We were treated like Royalty and it was perfectly organised by Head Office and Richard the Loyalty manager, assisted by James and Paige. Such a fabulous day out to reward our loyalty to P & O.

The Caribbean Islands are my favourite cruising destination and I never tire of them. Five islands of sun sea and sand plus beer and rum punch . What’s not to love except this marked the downward slope of the cruise. Six Sea days to the Azores which were a mixture of sun and cloud and the temperature reducing each day but the wind was too strong to dock when we reached the Azores so our final port was changed to Vigo in Northern Spain which meant another 2 sea days.
Vigo is a charming Northern Spanish port and a sea food lovers paradise.
Another sea day crossing the Bay of Biscay and we arrived back in Southampton early Sunday morning.

We were off ship before 9 a.m. and located our luggage, walked through customs, and as our car was parked at the port we were on our way Home just after 9 a.m. Sunday travel up to the North West of England is preferable to any other day and we were home just
after 1 p.m.
A fabulous cruise and I would book it again in a heartbeat. To be away for the worst of the UK winter weather is a big bonus.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

What a wonderful cruise, it's been a joy following the latest updates as the cruise progressed.
Glad you had a fabulous time and thank you for the interesting and informative posts, welcome back home.
Don't worry, be happy

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thank you Sue for all the postings. It's been lovely following your progress, especially so seeing as John and I did almost the same cruise five years ago. Most of our cruising was to the Caribbean over the winter months. This year Winter has certainly seemed much longer being at home but you've brought back many memories for me, so thank you. Where is your next cruise? I can't believe you haven't got one booked in the very near future.

Carole

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thank you Sue and Gary for once again entertaining us with your wonderful cruise diary. It’s so lovely to read Sue’s reports - it triggers so many fantastic memories. The Panama Canal was particularly poignant being the last Caribbean cruise I did with my late husband - being a civil engineer he found it fascinating and sat on deck all day as we sailed from the Pacific into the Caribbean Sea.

Thanks to the pandemic I haven’t been to the Caribbean since Christmas 2018 - it’s so lovely to escape to the sun in the winter months 😎
Janis

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thank you Sue and Garry and welcome home 👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Yes, thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive reports, Sue, glad you had a good cruise and that Garry kept on top of the laundry :lol: .

We are on final countdown towards R303, boarding a week on Friday, bound for Norway and, hopefully the Northern Lights. First time on Aurora, after several Arcadia cruises but nothing for the last three years. We'd be interested to hear your overall view of the ship, compared to, say, five years ago. Is Covid still any sort of issue, for example and have the reported "cutbacks" made any material difference to the experience? Any downsides of any consequence?
Last edited by kaymar on 15 Mar 2023, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Thank you sue for wonderful reports - it makes you feel as we are with you - where are you going next

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2023”