G318 - Norwegian Fjords

Iona cruises in 2023

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

G318 - Norwegian Fjords

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well last night I booked a week in June on Iona - balcony cabin on deck 10. Not a bad price considering I have to pay a single supplement but I felt with a couple of days of sail bys it will be nicer to sit and watch the sights. Appreciate any tips from those of you who’ve been on Iona.
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: G318 - Norwegian Fjords

Post by Onelife »

Hi Jan,
I always admire those who through whatever circumstance find themselves having to find the courage/ confidence to cruise on their own. :clap:

Hope you have a lovely Cruise and wishing you loads of sea spray rainbows while out on your balcony. :thumbup: :D

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Onelife wrote: 11 May 2023, 11:12
Hi Jan,
I always admire those who through whatever circumstance find themselves having to find the courage/ confidence to cruise on their own. :clap:

Hope you have a lovely Cruise and wishing you loads of sea spray rainbows while out on your balcony. :thumbup: :D
Thank you - although I have in the past cruised on my own I am lucky this time to have company - my son’s in laws are travelling with me - they are in the cabin adjacent to mine :thumbup:
Janis

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

In that case I take it all back :lol:

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Onelife wrote: 11 May 2023, 13:16
In that case I take it all back :lol:
:lolno:
Janis

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jan - just make sure that there are no chocolates waiting for you in your cabin :lol: :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We loved Iona with our family. Enjoy.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 11 May 2023, 11:12
Hi Jan,

What do you mean 'courage'. A soon as she gets onboard she'll be hitting the bar or opening her magnum of bubbly. :D

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We have now had 2 cruises on Iona with 3 more booked, so you can tell that we quite like her.
There are more dining options on Iona than all the older ships, the Olive Grove is a good alternative to the MDR or even lunch. Its menu mainly consists of included choices, with just a few extra charge items. The Quays is another included price eatery serving fish and chips, Asian stir fry dishes and American diner fare, it can be busy at peak times but it's well worth a visit for a quick lunch. I assume you have used the "app" on earlier cruises, which you will need for the theatre or Limelight club, but seems a bit optional for the MDR, although it is easy to join a virtual queue for one of the MDRs, and we found the wait times were only short, and June should avoid the school hoiday crush.
Although it is big with around 5000 passengers, it never feels crowded, the interior flows well and despite its size you don't feel as though it's a long trek to get anywhere. It has lots of seating areas on all the open decks, with lots of normal chair as well as sun beds, even on the promenade deck.
I will be interested to know what you think of her, and whether you will be enjoying a family holiday on her in the future.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A good informative post John. :thumbup:

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks for the info John - very useful. Looking forward to sailing on a new ship and reassured it’s not too difficult to negotiate! My granddaughter travelled on Iona last year and really enjoyed the trip.
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Apart from that we didn't try the Olive Grove during our trip (just too many options to fit in!) I'd agree with everything John says.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Jan

I cruised on Iona last December for the Christmas markets cruise.
I was suprised by how much I liked it.

Yes there were far more children than I thought there would be so took to having our evening drinks I'm Anderson's, where we met some staff who remembered us from Aurora.
Ate in the Aqua restaurant and we went 3 times to the Olive grove, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Cabin was okay we had an outside, no drawers though so took packing cubes. Nice interactive tv where you can keep track of your on board account. Usual kettle etc. Loved the charging points under the lights by the bed.
Also interactive screens by the lifts where you could see info shore excursions.

Have booked a balcony for the Fjords for next year.

Have a lovely time.

Lindsey

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Waiting for taxi to the services to pick up coach to Southampton - will relax once I get on the coach and finally on my way! Probably packed too much of everything (I’m a “just in case person”) but Norway’s weather next week looks fine.
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The weather is looking good here as well Jan

Have a great cruise :wave:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer