Iona cruises in 2023

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Cruise report for G339 Iona

Post by Whynd1 »

Christmas markets cruise

Coach journey down was long as boarding was delayed to enable the ship to have a deep clean due to novovirus. However we were given a coloured boarding card and told where to go, which meant we didnt have to join the queue. So with my priority boarding didnt take too long. Security strict had to take boots off and the passengers in front of me had to completely empty 2 pushchairs.

I am sharing with my friend and we have shared before so dont expect any problems, we are in a balcony cabin on deck 10,no issues whatsoever. Lovely cabin steward. Only issue over the week was that the beds are too close together and no room by the wardrobes, minor issues.

Due to the norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise we decided not to use the buffet and not to sit the theatre.

We booked Sindu for our first evening , mainly knowing we had a table actually booked for the first night. Had a lovely relaxing meal,after a long and stressful day. Both had the duck which was perfect. As we had pre booked on the cruise personaliser we had the £10 each deducted from the bill and we were also given 20% off as we had booked for the first night,with our 10% loyalty discount hardly paid anything at all.

Sea day before Hamburg,spent relaxing and staying away from crowds. Ordered rolls and drinks from room service which were good and fresh.

Hamburg. We booked the Christmas markets excursion, which we really enjoyed despite the constant mizzle.Had a very good guide who was Australian and met and married a German lady, he got intoeing a tourist guide to improve his German, his profession was a film maker.

Sea day back from Hamburg and celebration night. We booked for the Limelight and it was a most enjoyable evening. The food was excellent with good service. I think we had Kevin Simms as our artist, we thought who ! but he was actually very good. Retired to our usual in Andersons fora nightcap.

Rotterdam overnight. Booked for Delft on the first day which was okay but not enough time in Delft. It was dark and wet so not the best, I imagine it looks lovely in the spring. As we are overnight we booked the Epicurean, I cant do deck 17 when were on the move, so had a pre dinner drink in the crows nest with all the lights of Rotterdam before us.The meal was good but their was no atmosphere, I wouldnt book again. Especially at that price.

The traffic in Rotterdam means you spend a lot of time stuck in traffic. 2nd day we just did a tour of Rotterdam,which was good but again spent too much time in traffic.

Zeebrugge, I'm afraid we spent the day on board, we had planned to use the shuttle to Blankenburg but it was cold grey and windy.

So to sum up this week was about just getting away and having nice food.
We did that and actually could not fault P and O on this cruise. All staff we met were lovely and we received good service.
Slight hitch in Southampton as so many passengers self disembarked it neck up everything else. Due to our Baltic loyalty we were off by 8.30am but as on the coach had to wait for everyone else.
We enjoyed this cruise and have booked it for next year, it goes to Le Harvre for Paris , never been to Paris so that will something to look forward to.

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Cruise report for G339 Iona

Post by barney »

Lovely review Lindsey
Thanks 🤩
Empty vessels .. and all that

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We find the Olive Grove to be a really venue.
Mel

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks for posting your report from your cruise on Iona. Lovely to hear you enjoyed your break - I had a balcony cabin on deck 10 too - I shared with my granddaughter. I really liked Iona - very spacious and choice of food was best I’ve had. I’ve booked Iona for next May to the fjords.
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for posting Lindsey. Interesting to read of different locations but what a pity the weather wasn't the best.
Despite this pleased to hear you enjoyed.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Good to hear you enjoyed your cruise.

Return to “Iona Cruises 2023”