Freedom dining on Aurora 2015

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Freedom dining on Aurora 2015

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

QB:

What a shame. Further testimony on ever spiraling down standards of dress.

I enjoy 2nd sitting because I enjoy the extended day out on the open decks at an open bar as the sun's rays lose some of their "potency" in the Med (or other warm place).

Come the time for me to shave, bathe and change for the evening I ALWAYS consider the most optimum route for where I can reach my cabin from where I am and ensure that I do not use a public room, public walkway on the public room decks, atriums and lifts. This usually entails taking stairs down to the nearest cabin deck, walking along the corridor to fwd, mid, or aft (depending where cabin is) and then quickly taking the stairs to my actual deck.

If I want to use the library, shop, cyb-study, reception etc after six pm I would always change into the minimum standard required for an evening (which is always personally a jacket and tie, except for the tropical/pirate night when I would drop the jacket) before venturing out early on some 'chore' or research before pre-prandial activities for me commence.

It is showing respect to other guests booted and suited for earlier dining and entertainment.
TMM

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

If your dinner sitting and style is of such importance that not obtaining your preference wll totally spoil your cruise, then I guess early Vantage booking is the way forward. Perhaps this is a ruse by P&O to obtain more early and Vantage bookings? Perhaps? Personally I think it may actually be a move towards providing more of what a large proportion of passengers appear to want.

Everyone has different priorities and differing likes and dislikes - and likes and dislikes within those likes and dislikes, if that's not too Donald Rumsfeld. eg. I like the 'clubability' of Club dining but hate the times offered. So a 7.30 Club (with evening entertainment at times appropriate to 7.30 dining) could be fine for me. However, I would still dislike, with every fibre of my being, the queue or worse before the dining room doors are open - ugh, I can only remember queing for school dinners. There's always the possibility of total incompatibility with table companions, so that would require a potentially embarrassing move with Club - just grin and bear it for one night on Freedom

Horses for courses and hooray for choice!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

YAHOO !!!!
Pando have dragged their dated dining options into the 21st century and about time, this means I will now have more ships to choose from as I find the school dinners/.prison regime of fixed dining archaic and all this bilge about dress codes around the ship after 6pm is pure fantasy

I suppose as usual the popinjays will lie by omission and won't be honest about what the rules ACTUALLY SAY
good job more sensible heads prevailed and that PandO are not as old fashioned and stuck in the mud as some of their passengers :wave: :wave: :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Shocking!

mollyh
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by mollyh »

TMM Why not have a table for two on Freedom if you are nervous of unknown table companions.We always have table for two -much more civilised and not unfriendly as they are quite close together for pleasantries with other diners but not for deep discussions .We like to enjoy our food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere and have no interest in pax holding court at large tables..

Admiral of the Humber
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Admiral of the Humber »

It makes no odds to us. We have always done club dining, first sitting when Miss AOTH was younger and second sitting as she got older, but as we always cruise in a family group or with friends, if we had to go freedom we'd still be with the same people. In addition, as we have to cruise during school holidays, we always book early so I doubt we'll ever have a problem booking club if that is what we wish to do.

It's called evolution Derek, P&O have to move with the times and cater for the demands of the mass market. If you're ever stuck I'm sure we could find you a place at the AOTH table in club. You could sit next to Miss AOTH...she used to love dinosaurs.

Regards
Rob aka AOTH
One day P&O will cruise out of the north.....

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

is freedom dining covered by the human rights act
as in freedom of choice and freedom to eat when I am hungry not when the headmistress tells me I am
Nihil Obstat

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
QB:

The dress codes quite clearly states that the dress code (as a minimum standard) applies to designated public areas (most of the public internal areas of a ship) after 6pm. The exclusion is usually the buffet restaurant and at least one indoor bar.
Hogwash!

I think that you'll find that it's actually the other way round (as I'm sure you already know). There have been several threads on the topic as to exactly where the dress-code applies on both this and the old P&O forum. The answer (ACCORDING TO P&O) varies from ship to ship, but is generally the MDR, one (or more) select dining venue and usually ONE (or two) bars only. Your assertion that "most of the public internal areas" have the dress-code as a requirement is little more than what you would wish to be the case. Unfortunately for you Derek, you don't devise the rules. :thumbdown:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Romig
Mr Kane making up things to suit his own wants and needs rather than the truth......would you adam and eve it
Nihil Obstat

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I'm hoping this is a huge mistake. I am booked on the Aurora in 2015 and was not told there would be freedom dining. We are in fact confirmed for 1st sitting. I'll be contacting P&O tomorrow to find out if this is correct.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
I'm hoping this is a huge mistake. I am booked on the Aurora in 2015 and was not told there would be freedom dining. We are in fact confirmed for 1st sitting. I'll be contacting P&O tomorrow to find out if this is correct.
Why would it be a problem? Club dining will still be available.

Alan Janice White
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Alan Janice White »

My wife and myself are usually on second sitting 'select' dining and so, providing the weather is appropriate we like to have a swim and a hot tub round about six o,clock, when approximately half the ship are going or have gone to dinner. To get to and from our cabin we are naturally in swimming attire, plus a track suit and quite often get disapproving looks and have even had the odd comment. Too bad, say I; because if people want to eat half way through the afternoon that is their choice, but it isn't mine. I try to be discreet and don't go dancing around the ship in a bedraggled state and certainly don't wish to offend anyone, but if a small number of people wish to take umbrage , that is their problem not mine.

Regards,
Alan.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Freedom dining on Aurora 2015

Post by Quizzical Bob »

I've just checked on the P&O website and on Aurora freedom dining will be in the Medina restaurant which leaves the Alexandria for clubbers.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Alan Janice White wrote:
My wife and myself are usually on second sitting 'select' dining and so, providing the weather is appropriate we like to have a swim and a hot tub round about six o,clock, when approximately half the ship are going or have gone to dinner. To get to and from our cabin we are naturally in swimming attire, plus a track suit and quite often get disapproving looks and have even had the odd comment. Too bad, say I; because if people want to eat half way through the afternoon that is their choice, but it isn't mine. I try to be discreet and don't go dancing around the ship in a bedraggled state and certainly don't wish to offend anyone, but if a small number of people wish to take umbrage , that is their problem not mine.

Regards,
Alan.
I think that is a very selfish attitude to take. I have had people brush past me with wet towels while I've been in formal wear. No I don't think the problem is with me.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
Alan Janice White wrote:

Regards,
Alan.
I think that is a very selfish attitude to take. I have had people brush past me with wet towels while I've been in formal wear. No I don't think the problem is with me.
We are all in the same boat.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
QB I've never been on a ship with freedom dining and I have no idea how it works. How will it fit in with club dining? I'm also very annoyed I wasn't told when I booked.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
QB I've never been on a ship with freedom dining and I have no idea how it works. How will it fit in with club dining? I'm also very annoyed I wasn't told when I booked.
We've been on many cruises and have used both. Freedom dining works in a similar fashion to breakfast and lunch in the MDR. You turn up at a time that suits you and you can state your preference for table size, if you have one. You will be seated with others who will be eating at the same time as you so your courses will arrive at the same time. If the restaurant is particularly full then you may be asked to wait and will be given a pager. We have only ever had this happen twice in half a dozen cruises and the wait was not very long. On one cruise on Oceana many groups of people were booking tables in advance which sort of defeats the object and I think this has now been stopped. To be honest we prefer freedom dining as 6:30 is too early and 8:30 too late and can cause conflicts over whether we will do a show or a quiz. Dress codes and all other aspects are the same. Honestly, I wouldn't get too upset about it. If you have chosen club dining at 6:30 then that is what you will get, in the Alexandria restaurant. If you want to change to freedom then it is just a phone call or a mouse click away.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

emjay45 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
You won't even know that it is happening - it is not a problem. Some people will be going into one of the MDRs as and when. You will be going into another MDR at you allotted time.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Thank you both. While I agree 6.30 is too early, and 8.30 is too late. I'm not sure I'd really like freedom dining so I'd be nervous to change. :(

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
Thank you both. While I agree 6.30 is too early, and 8.30 is too late. I'm not sure I'd really like freedom dining so I'd be nervous to change. :(
Stay as you are but maybe give it a try one night? (After notifying your table companions and waiters of course)

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

i don't think you can do that (presuming you mean go into Freedom, rather than eat at a different time in a paid-for alternative)
You're either Club or Freedom - no swapping!

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

You can change on the first day subject to availability, but once set that's it for the cruise.
If you are on club dining you cannot decide one day to go on freedom. Your cabin number is checked when you enter freedom to verify that you are on freedom. If not, you don't get in.
Brian

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

Gill W:

(I have not been on the forum for 24h hence my delay in replying)

I would rarely retire to cabin at 6pm after a days activities until pre-prandial and prandial evening activities begin. You must be confusing me with a.n.other. In fact I have often in the past described that lovely time from around 5pm as the open decks empty considerably and I raise myself off the sunbed and sit up at a deck bar as the pre-pre-prandial time of day.
TMM

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Well, all I can say, Derek, is I hope you enjoy your pre-prandial activities on Oriana, and I hope you'll do a report for us :D

I won't be around for a while, I'm off on Azura tomorrow for 24 nights (freedom dining!) The packing is nearly done, and I'm feeling rather happy at the moment.

Hope everyone with upcoming cruises enjoy themselves, and I'll see you all at the start of October.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Have a great time Gill - look forward to hearing all about it on your return - I am not in the least bit jealous :mrgreen:

Bon Voyage :wave:
Janis

Return to “About Aurora”