Azura A310N - Cruise Report - Western Med

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Azura A310N - Cruise Report - Western Med

Post by Romig1 »

With apologies for excessive length…as always.

Following an impressively early finish from work on Friday, we were actually en-route to Southampton at about 3pm, so took it nice and steady to our overnight stop in Nuneaton. The journey (being Friday after all) took longer than was promised by the satnav, but we managed to get our not-insignificant luggage into the hotel and ourselves into the adjoining pub before 6pm! A pint of San Miguel elicited the first “Ow Much???” of the holiday which was quickly followed by an even louder version when I ordered a pint in Frankie & Bennies. Really, £4 for a pint of 4% lager is approaching daylight robbery IMO. I was also dismayed to find that the “2 Courses for £9.95” has also been renamed…. and not surprisingly, not for the cheaper!! Despite such a stressful start to the evening (for a Yorkshireman anyway), we enjoyed a good meal and made our way “home” for an early night in order that we could get an early start for the remainder of the drive to Azura.
The next morning we were up early and indeed were on the road again before 8.30. We made good time and decided to avoid the potential travel problems in Southampton that day by heading to Jn7 on the M27 and into the city that way. The route was great and we may well use it again in the future. We finally hit some traffic about 1/4mile from the dock-gate. I worried that this was the start of the queue to enter the dock, but it actually wasn’t and we got our first proper view of Azura as we approached the terminal at about 10.50am. Just a short delay while CPS caught up with the demand and then we were in the already quite busy Ocean terminal. Disappointed to be given “E” cards, as I like to be onboard as soon as possible. Nevertheless, check-in started soon after and before long we were finally on this beautiful ship – and she is indeed a lovely ship. We immediately made bookings for both Seventeen and Sindhu for our chosen nights; Sindhu was chosen on Wina’s birthday but we did slip-up as this falls on a day after Atul Kochar has left the ship. Naively, I assumed that all of the “Celebrities” on this Food & Drink themed cruise would be on for the duration. It transpires that Atul is on board for the first few days before disembarking in Gibraltar. Similarly, Olly Smith doesn’t arrive on Azura until well into the itinerary (embarking in Barcelona). Never mind, I’m sure we will enjoy the meal – so many people we have met on board since sailing have raved about how good it is.
After a quick lunch in the buffet, we had a wander around the ship to familiarise ourselves what is where. It helps having been on Azura’s sister (Ventura) before (albeit for only a 3 night cruise), and we found our way around very quickly. We headed for a drink in Glass House (thanks for that tip Qbman) where we bumped into fellow table companions from a previous cruise! We also enquired about the food/wine tasting/matching evening that they offer on some evenings, but the presence of Olly Smith has raised the price for the events to £45pp and so we haven’t booked. :shock:
Next we knew, the cabins were ready and so we headed directly down to ours – a balcony cabin on C deck. We met our very friendly cabin steward, Suresh, who made a concerted effort to prioritise our luggage and we managed to get all our many cases unpacked and away before muster. Luckily for Suresh, he had only just boarded himself that day and so missed the 4 short cruises which preceded ours – which must have been a nightmare for the stewards, knowing how busy they are on turnaraound days. The cabin is great – I love the open wardrobe area and the balcony is huge in comparison to those on other decks.
We decided to use our vouchers for a glass of bubbly on the Sailaway party, and so we headed up to Breakers Bar from where we watched as Azura departed. Some furious waving was enjoyed as we attempted to get a response from the next quay where a friend from the P&O Facebook page had promised to be. (If you are reading this Nick, I sincerely hope we weren’t waving in vain while you sat at home chuckling)!!
We are on Club Dining - 2nd sitting, and so we went to Glass House for pre-dinner drinks (you may note some repetition of this in my report, as it is the best bar on board any ship IMO). Whilst we were sat there one of a couple of ladies at the bar looked over and asked “are you Romig and Wina?” Obviously, I don’t own up to being me unless I know who is asking ;-) but it turned out to be MaureenB and Lizzie (Bizzie31) from this forum (and others) – so we had a nice chat, and have managed to bump into them several times since– though I’m not difficult to find as we are invariably in a bar. :oops:
On club dining I always spend the first evening worrying about whether we will get on well with our dining companions, but yet again we were pleased to meet the other 4 passengers on our well-placed table. As it turns out, one couple had requested 1st sitting (they had booked 6 weeks before the cruise – which the gentleman didn’t consider a “late booking”!) and were hoping to get switched. Well, that’s what they said…it is entirely possible that they took one look at me and made that story up. They have indeed managed to change their dining time, and so we haven’t seen them since – but we are getting along well with the remaining couple. In our area of the restaurant there are several tables for 4 which have been unused for the whole cruise to date. I assume that these people have either switched dining time (or to Freedom) or are simply going to the buffet/select dining options. Still, it makes light work for our waiters who are both friendly and efficient.
The next day was at sea and we sailed through a very benign BoB, We took in an enjoyable cooking demonstration by Atul (and his head chef onboard – Prebu), after which we had our first formal evening which we rounded off in Manhattan show lounge watching John Ellis (an Elton John tribute act) who was remarkably good. He looked and sounded like EJ, and had copied many mannerisms very well. Yes, he didn’t sing all the high notes on Crocodile Rock or Yellow-Brick Road – but then again I don’t think Sir Elton has since the Millenium either.
Monday found us in La Corunna where we wandered into town but little else apart from sitting in the warm sun. Keen to get my value for money from the balcony I suggested we head back to the ship where we ordered room service and enjoyed the afternoon sun. We ate in seventeen that evening which was ok, but not as good as others have suggested IMO. We haven’t rebooked, and feel that £28pp is a tad too much for the quality on offer. Being at that end of the ship, we popped into Planet Bar for a drink afterwards, where Wina got to taste the Raspberry Crème Brulee cocktail for the first time. Nice, but I defy anybody to drink more than one! The Planet Bar (like Metropolis on Ventura) is a great place to have late-night drinks…it’s just such a long way from many other venues! Sad as I am, I counted the number of paces along the corridor from the stairwell at the stern to our (fore) cabin…it was 210!!!!
Another day at sea followed where we attended a question/answer session with Atul and Neil Oliver, with more sunbathing on the balcony (that VFM is getting better by the day) and our second formal night (black and white) which again was pretty well adhered to.
Wednesday morning saw us open the curtains to see the rock of Gibraltar which was a nice sight. In keeping with probably 95% of the passengers we disgorged in the hunt for the cheapest gin. We headed to Morrisons, where we got a great bargain – 1L of Tanquery Gin for £9.50…a price which we didn’t see bettered in any of the other shops (and yes, I did check of course). My joy was slightly diminished when I discovered that we had overpaid by the tune of 50p for our Bombay Sapphire though! We also checked the price of some perfume/EDT, but found that we can get it cheaper on-line at home from reputable sources. On the walk back to the ship I took a phone-call from work, which got mysteriously cut-off after 12 minutes – my credit had expired…..turns out that on my PAYG tariff I pay £1.50 per minute to receive calls in Gibraltar…I foolishly had assumed I would be paying the 7p Spanish rate!! A very expensive lesson learned there. :x
Yet another sea-day followed (yesterday), which we once again spent the major part of on the balcony chairs, sunbathing and reading. I’m beginning to get a decent tan…but only on the front. At this rate I’ll be looking like the toast Wina had at the Holiday Inn Express en-route to Southampton…black and crisp on one side, yet white and insipid on the back! We’ll get chance to get on a sunbed by the pool and toast our rears on the way home hopefully, as I doubt we will get much balcony sun in that direction. Last night we went to the show consisting of the two tribute acts – both Elton John and Michael Buble, which was enjoyable again, but not well attended. Both these guys leave Azura on Saturday (tomorrow) in Rome, and I’m hoping there will be a replacement or two, as the standard lounge-bar type vocalists don’t seem to be our thing (we left after 3 songs when we went to see Peter Cutler a few nights ago).

So, I’m finishing this off whilst lying in bed on Friday morning (which means we must be in in Ajaccio). Hereby starts 5 consecutive port days which could be quite hectic. The ship is presently tying off her lines, and it’s really quite pleasant here overlooking the old town and citadel. I’m hoping to get some wi-fi (free of course) where I can post this report so far to the forum though I’m seriously regretting bringing my full-sized laptop with me – which will be a pain to lug about. Mustn’t moan too much, as Wina has already seen Maureen and Lizzie’s neat little tablets and is trying to talk me out of some dosh for one of those! Apologies again for the length (I can’t seem to be concise) and for the diary-style…I promise to write more in general about the ship and venues and our thoughts about various other things later. I’ll also try and post some pictures…I have one or two nice ones taken on the balcony…. :D

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Azura 310A Western Med

Post by emjay45 »

Hi Romig
Good to see you. :wave: Thank goodness for this forum, I was worried I'd seen the last of you both :( We had a fabulous, fabulous experience. It was more an experience than a cruise and my son does have lots of memories to hold onto. As you can see our cruise has taken years off me :lolno: I hope you and Wina have a great time, I'm sure you will. I'll be reading your reports. You seem to like the Azura. :wave:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hi Rob and Wina - glad to hear you are enjoying your cruise. I may have to re-read the report as I can't remember seeing any mention of burgers - did I miss something? Maureen x

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Pleased to hear you are having a good time.

Fancy bumping into Maureen and Lizzie :) Obviously Maureen's allegiance has been changed - Blue Bar before ;)

Carrying on enjoying and if you see M and L, will you pass on our love please. Thank you.

Jean and Michael

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounds as if you are off to a good start, errrr is Wina taking photo's of your "white bits" just for comparison of course with last year :o :o :lol:
Jo

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Great report, thanks very much. We are on Azura for the first time this summer so it's making very interesting reading. Hope you continue to have a lovely cruise.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Enjoying your report almost as much as you are enjoying Azura. Look forward to the next installment

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Lovely report Rob - sounds like you & Wina are having a great time. I've been checking the webcam and it looks like you've had really calm seas and some lovely weather - hope it continues.

Look forward to hearing more.

Michele

xx

PS. HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR SUNDAY WINA

M&B

XX

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds good R - glad it is all going swimmingly. Looks to be a really nice day in Rome on the webcam

I won't be a bit jealous of you in Sindhu tomorrow - honest ! :mrgreen:

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great report Romig. We feel the same way about seventeen but just adore Sindhu. Have a great meal and Happy Birthday to Wina for tomorrow.

Look after Azura as we are back on in 4 weeks.

Look forward to hearing more from you both.

Sue

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

We have been on Azura 5 times and have visited XV11 twice(both menus) on every cruise and always had a superb meal and service and in our opinion great value for money compared to that standard of meal and service, if you can get it, back home.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Romig

Great report and I am already getting withdrawal systems from not cruising. Sill can't make up my mind about Azura, may have to book another to check her out again.
Where on earth is Morrisons in Gibraltar. I'm sure I read that.

Enjoy the cruise and Happy Birthday Wina enjoy being spoilt... :D

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

You did read that Melsea, I'm almost sure you can see it from where the ship docks so imagine if you walk straight ahead as you leave the port and just before you reach the square you veer off right, I'm sure someone will have more specific directions but if not we have a friend who lives in Gib so I'll ask him.
Jo

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Thanks for all the birthday wishes...I have read them all out to WIna and she sends her thanks too. Mel. DQ is correct. You can see the sign on the back of Morrisons from the ship. Just head towards town and take the first right. It looks to lead to apartment blocks but follow the road roud for about 300 yaards and its on te rhs. Apologies for the typos. Im doingthis on the kindle...thanks Sue for the tip.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Can I add my birthday wishes. Many Happy returns Wina. Hope you both are having a lovely time. :D :wave:

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Thanks emjay. Glad you found the foum. We were worried that we had lost contact with you. Will contact you viaa PM when we return.

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Just aquick update.....we are ssat in Malabar awaiting our turn to get a tender into Monte Carlo. Apparently the port authorities have only provided a singlle tender berth which we have to share with a Seabourne ship which is also at anchor. We have been here for half an hour already....from the speed of progress so far I estimate we will be another 20 minutes at least.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Can I add my best wishes to the Bithday Girl too.

HAPPY BITHDAY WINA

Hmmm Monte Carlo hope R is going to buy you something "outrageously" expensive :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:
Jo

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

DQ, you know R and his bottomless pockets, I'm sure he will spoil Wina rotten In Monte Carlo. On second thoughts, he'll probably trail around the shops mutttering 'Ow much'? and then force her to eat whatever he's nicked from the buffet for her lunch :D Happy birthday Wina x

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Oi. I was going to buy Wina a pair of Prada shoes fromm the shop near the Hotel de Paris......what a shame it is Sunday and it was closed. Instead I really pushed the boat out once we got back onboard......I treated thelucky girl to a Costa coffee and cake. Costs extr you know.....

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Did you say you'd treated her to Champagne?

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Umm , Paid for coffee and cake?. Is that what you led Wina to believe. When we have been on Azura we have only paid for the coffee but I promise I won't let on to her. I think HK was right about it being champagne , just read it wrong.
Prada- shop shut - typical males way of thinking.

Topic author
Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Ok. So the cake was free with the coffee. But we could have got both free from the buffet. Champagne???? Do you think Im made of money?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Birthday wishes from me too :wave: :clap: :wave:

No doubt as it is a "special" occasion you will be having girlie pick cocktails :lol: :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Romig1 wrote:
Oi. I was going to buy Wina a pair of Prada shoes fromm the shop near the Hotel de Paris......what a shame it is Sunday and it was closed. Instead I really pushed the boat out once we got back onboard......I treated thelucky girl to a Costa coffee and cake. Costs extr you know.....
Ohhh Rob don't despair I see you are in Barcelona tomorrow ... almost sure I saw a Prada shop there but if not there are shops that sell them ... how lucky is that :lol: :clap:
Jo

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”