Best place for foreign currnecy

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Best place for foreign currnecy

Post by Kendhni »

I know some people get currency when on board and some get it before hand but who do you think offers the best deals

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Best place for foreign currnecy

Post by Kendhni »

I usually use this site as a starting point. However you have to look at what the deliver charges are and maybe adjust the amount of currency to get free delivery or the best price.

Overall I have never found a single place to be the best, it can change on a day-to-day basis.

For small additional amounts I just get in on board ... the rate is not the best but when we are talking of small amounts the difference is negligible.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The exchange rates are of no consequence unless we are going for a longer period to only one Country, then I will shop around a bit.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

I've used moneysavingexpert's currency fidner thing, being able to collect in London.

However, I recently noticed in my Santander account's t & c's that cash withdrawals from Santander ATMs in Spain are free. So next cruise we shall be getting our € from the nearest Santander ATM in Alicante.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We generally use the post office. Try not to change anything on the ship now. A few years ago they gave excellent rates on ship but not now.

Sue

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

First Choice have a price-beat guarantee to give you the best rates - but do not ever walk in and say "gimme some dosh" because they will give you the worst imaginable rate. Tell them you've seen such and such a rate locally and they will beat it.

Also, rates change twice a day so try and buy mid-week during the day
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Deefitz
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Deefitz »

I got the best rate from Saga online, delivered free, I think I went through Martin Lewis' site.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

In the past, I've always gone into Thomas Cook as it's convenient, but next time I need some I will shop around to look at the rates
Gill

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Moneycorp via Telegraph Travel come out consistently high in any comparison sites. I have just ordered some euros for free next-day delivery

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Shopping around for the best rate will probably save you the price of a Pina-colada? :?

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Onelife wrote:
Shopping around for the best rate will probably save you the price of a Pina-colada? :?
If you are a cheapskate like me and buy the minimum you think you need, yes, probably. However if you purchase large quantities of currency, it is well worth it.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Generally shop around local TA's and Tesco and get the best rate when using the Euro. Always have Euros knocking about the house and when I order them usually buy £1000 at a time because we do cruising every year and also visit Austria so the exchange rate is important it is better in my pocket than theirs.

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by paultheeagle »

:thumbup:

If I need to change any money I get it on board...don't change much...If whilst out I find something I want and ain't got enough 'readies' I use me plastic.

A lot of places will take sterling anyway (well they used to) and some will take Euros as well, so for me there ain't no need to change loads of money.

:wave:
Up The Palace

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

If you have an M&S card use them they have very good rates. Also FairFX is very good but they charge £6 delivery for anything less than £750.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Just have to say what great service i have just received from Thomas Exchange Global.
Using the site i listed earlier they came out best so on Wednesday afternoon i placed an order online. I received an email within minutes, had sent of requested id and transferred the money before going home.

Lo and behold money arrived today

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”