Cruise to nowhere

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
brayman
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Cruise to nowhere

Post by brayman »

I was at the Ocean Terminal last weekend attending the Southampton Maritime Festival and noticed Adventurer of the Seas was in dock the other side of the Red Funnel services. I decided to find out where it was heading and was surprised to see it was doing a 2-night sampler cruise - but not stopping at a port.

It seems quite a good idea since the only one-port stops seem to be restricted to Zeebrugge, Le Havre and Guernsey. Neither Zeebrugge nor Le Havre have much appeal to me.

What do you think of a "Cruise to Nowhere"?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Cruise to nowhere

Post by Manoverboard »

We book itineraries ... so, not a lot :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

can't quite see the point, even a trans atlantic seems a bit of a waste of time to me :crazy:
Nihil Obstat

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by paultheeagle »

Brayman :thumbup:

I think it's a great idea but two nights ain't long enough....For me the ship is the reason to cruise so although I enjoy ports I simply love sea days...I find sitting on the prom deck, staring out at sea looking for dolphins and u boats so very relaxing and a cruise ship is so far removed from normal life for me it doesn't have to actually go anywhere.

ps...I have seen loads of dolphins but ain't yet spotted a u boat. :D

:wave:
Up The Palace

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I do like sea days, they are a real chance to unwind.

But two days isn't enough to totally relax, so for a weekend break type of cruise I would still prefer to have a port day (even if it is Zebrugge)
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I would begrudge the money spent on a cruise to no-where when it could go towards the cost of a cruise to some interesting ports.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Dark Knight wrote:
can't quite see the point, even a trans atlantic seems a bit of a waste of time to me :crazy:
Not if you fly over and sail back - great way to avoid jetlag!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Denarius
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Denarius »

Some people, and I am one of them, cruise primarily to visit interesting places. For others however, the ship is the prime destination and the ports visited mere diversions. I can see the latter group growing, with bigger and bigger ships being promoted as seagoing resorts which some passengers may never leave during the voyage; like some people travel to the Caribbean to visit resort hotels which they never leave during their entire holiday, as all they seek is available on site.

Mrs Pugwash
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mrs Pugwash »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
Not if you fly over and sail back - great way to avoid jetlag!

Never though of that, what a good idea, would love to do New York one day

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mrs Pugwash wrote:

Never though of that, what a good idea, would love to do New York one day
We sailed over in 2004 and flew back - as with our family visits to Orlando, the flight back is (for us) a killer and it takes us several days to get over the jet lag.

We went again in 2009 and took Cunard's package of two nights in a hotel prior to sailing back. For some reason, if you took the straight package, they'd transfer you from the airport to the hotel, and thence to the ship, but if you bought more days in the hotel, you had to arrange your own transfers. Coming back, you alter your body clock one hour a day, so you arrive back fresh as a daisy. Also, if you're into retail therapy, you don't have to worry about baggage allowances!

NY is an amazing place. We'd love to go back.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Susan Watt
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Susan Watt »

We enjoy sea days but also enjoy visiting new places so not for us.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I enjoy sea days but also enjoy visiting different ports . A 2 day cruise going somewhere or nowhere would NOT appeal at all. I see no point in a cruise of less than at least 7 days and for myself I wouldn't leave home for a cruise of less than 14 days.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Itinerary
Itinerary
Itinerary
the boat, whilst important is not the primary reason for booking the cruise
Nihil Obstat

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

U-boat ..... there's one (an old one) in Cherbourg, plain as the nose on your face. However, in reality they are meant not to be seen, surely?

The length of an outing doesn't bother me - especially if the outing was on a ship new to us. A chance to explore and evaluate the differences between ships.

But sea days - oh those precious sea days. Solid gold and then some. I am almost tempted to have a screen just permanently showing the view from an aft balcony - it's addictive.

As for the great NY experience - happily booked for 2014 for an outing with pals.

Currently we've booked the cruise itself, but will probably either cruise out or cruise home. The decision depends on which is the best duty-free lounge - LHR or JFK; and the answer to that will be known by the end of this month.

Nearly time to pack again!

Em :D

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

We enjoy sea days and have done a transatlantic with Cunard after spending 4 nights in New York and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would also be interested in Sampler cruises that went nowhere but can never understand Zeebrugge having no interest to anyone when Bruges is a short train ride and a beautiful city. Ports are very nice to visit but when it the same old usual places that you have been many times before they get boring and would rather stay on the ship and enjoy the facilities.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Boris+ wrote:
U-boat ..... there's one (an old one) in Cherbourg, plain as the nose on your face. However, in reality they are meant not to be seen, surely?

The length of an outing doesn't bother me - especially if the outing was on a ship new to us. A chance to explore and evaluate the differences between ships.

But sea days - oh those precious sea days. Solid gold and then some. I am almost tempted to have a screen just permanently showing the view from an aft balcony - it's addictive.

As for the great NY experience - happily booked for 2014 for an outing with pals.

Currently we've booked the cruise itself, but will probably either cruise out or cruise home. The decision depends on which is the best duty-free lounge - LHR or JFK; and the answer to that will be known by the end of this month.

Nearly time to pack again!

Em :D
The Cherbourg submarine is fascinating to explore.

I'd be interested in a two-nighter, or even a one-night cruise, just to evaluate a new (to me) ship.

Em - I would definitely flying out and sailing back. The duty free lounge at JFK was rubbish when we transited in 2004 - it MAY have improved since, but LHR was by far superior. Plus, sailing west to east means no jet lag!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

if you don't want to go anywhere, then thumb a lift on a container ship, plenty of sea days :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Dark Knight wrote:
if you don't want to go anywhere, then thumb a lift on a container ship, plenty of sea days :wave:
Apparently such voyages are good value for money and the accommodations very acceptable. You need to take a good selection of books though. I heard of one lady to did this, and ended up a honorary ship's tailor!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

to travel about without a particular purpose or destination: dictionary definition of a cruise, so a containership is perfect for all those with no purpose :lol: :lol: :o
Nihil Obstat

POSH Claire
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by POSH Claire »

Hello everyone, just to say that we have just returned from this cruise to nowhere on the Adventure of the Seas. We sailed out of Southampton on Sunday and came back yesterday. We had a wind earful time, and the ship was just lovely, we stayed in a Junior Suite and it was just perfect for us, our cabin steward, David, was just so helpful and nothing was to much trouble, the dinning room we ate in was great to and so was the food and waiting staff. We did actuall sail in the end to Cherbourg and stayed there for just the day, but we didn't get of the ship as the weather was just to good to miss out on do spend a relaxing day sunning ourselves on the decks by the pool. We did see the U boat as the ship was docked next to it, but no Dolphins where unfortunately not spotted but never mind. Just to say that we normally cruise with P and O but just fancied trying something different and this taster cruise came up at a good last minute price, so we grabbed it.

Overall we had a wonderful time, and the ship, crew, entertainment, food, fellow passengers was just everything we hoped it would be, so much so is that we have booked again on the four nighter for May 2014 in an Owners Suite.

Take care everyone and happy cruising to you all, calm seas all the way.
Regards Claire

POSH Claire
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by POSH Claire »

Sorry for my bad typing, will do better next time.
Regards Claire

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Alan,

I have a 'spy' doing an appraisal of JFK for me soon, but at the moment I think I have to agree with you that LHR is a very good duty-free. Only problem is we would be using T5 and not dear old T3, but I suspect it's much of a muchness at LHR. At least I can have a peek online and double check that the outlets I am after are there!

Then the other question - but I shall ask the cruiseline about this one I suppose - if we cruise over to NY do we have to disembark and go through immigration to get back on the ship even though all we really want to do at that point is stay onboard? I'm fine with back-to-back in Southampton for example, but just wondering what the authorities are like in Brooklyn.

I can double check on that point on our next outing I think - cheaper than phoning!

Trust you are well - but isn't the Mall in a pretty sad state?

Em :)

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

EM, JFK consists of so many hubs which are also used by internal passengers. Duty free can be very sparse .
Obviously it does depend on what you are looking for but I would prefer airport shopping in the UK.
Do remember most shopping in US is far cheaper than if bought duty free.

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by paultheeagle »

:wave:

If all you want from a holiday is to see new interesting new places..............Go on a Coach Tour.

:thumbup:
Up The Palace

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Alan,

I have a 'spy' doing an appraisal of JFK for me soon, but at the moment I think I have to agree with you that LHR is a very good duty-free. Only problem is we would be using T5 and not dear old T3, but I suspect it's much of a muchness at LHR. At least I can have a peek online and double check that the outlets I am after are there!

Then the other question - but I shall ask the cruiseline about this one I suppose - if we cruise over to NY do we have to disembark and go through immigration to get back on the ship even though all we really want to do at that point is stay onboard? I'm fine with back-to-back in Southampton for example, but just wondering what the authorities are like in Brooklyn.

I can double check on that point on our next outing I think - cheaper than phoning!

Trust you are well - but isn't the Mall in a pretty sad state?

Em :)
Hi Em

When we sailed over, US immigration officials boarded with the pilot and we all had to line up and show our passports etc etc. When we actually disembarked, we just got off the ship and onto the tour bus. End of story. I would imagine, therefore, that if you are doing a back-to-back crossing, you'd be subject to the same - they've got no way of knowing if you had no intention of getting off anyway.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is a dump and in a run-down area.

Yes, the Mall is looking a bit past its best. I went up there last Friday night - first time for ages, and was surprised to see so many units boarded up. Spare a thought for the Lady C - she's up there 5 days a week, mostly cleaning the toilets.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”