Seat hogging

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Seat hogging

Post by emjay45 »

I’m prompted to write this because of MOB’s comment on another thread, regarding people not buying drinks but hogging the seats in certain venues. I remember on the old forum someone complaining (quite rightly) about people hogging the seats in the Crow’s Nest and not purchasing drinks. Well how’s this for gall. :shock: My son and I went up to the Crow’s Nest for a drink and as it was a warm day we had the place to ourselves. :D After a while some chap came in and in spite of there being loads of empty seats he sat in the seat next to us with a great huff and a puff, something was obviously bothering him. I mouthed to my son (he lip-reads) ‘I think we are sitting in his seat!! :shock:
Well, it turned out I was right because every time we went into the Crow’s nest after that, sure enough he and his wife were in those seats. It didn’t matter what time of day it was, there they were. We began to wonder if they spent the entire cruise there making sure no-one else sat in THEIR seat. :lol: :!:

Susan1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Seat hogging

Post by Susan1 »

"There's nought so queer as folk," :crazy:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I thought that only happened in pubs :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

They have to sit somewhere when the weather is not so good
this is the problem of making ships for warmer climes, they don't work when its not so nice
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

A lounge is for lounging. It is also for everyone. If anybody acted in the way you describe I don't think I could have remained silent. When you saw the same gentleman in the same seat on a later date you should have said 'Oi mate, you're in my seat!'

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

We often sit in the Crow's Nest on the various ships and dont feel obliged that we should have to buy a drink to sit in there.

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

noddy10 wrote:
We often sit in the Crow's Nest on the various ships and dont feel obliged that we should have to buy a drink to sit in there.
You and many others. Did you also hog the window seats and either read your book or fall asleep :?: While those of us who simply wanted a drink with a view out of the window weren't able to. No wonder P&O are struggling to make a profit. :crazy:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

What's wrong with sitting in the Crows Nest and reading a book? It's only like a hotel lounge with a view.

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

We sat where there were vacant seats emjay45 and if they were by the window yes we did sit in them and not "hog" them as we have every right to sit there. You obviously think that because you want a drink I should vacate that seat so you can sit down well I am sorry but it dont work like that I have paid thousands of pounds for my cruise and have every right to sit there like QB says it is only like sitting in an hotel lounge.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

I have never understood this 'obsession' with people who have of so call hog seating in any of the venues on a ship. So what, I like the crows nest to sit and watch the view, occasionally with a book nearby to read. I never even considered it was a 'bar' it was just somewhere nice to be that just happened to sell drinks. If you think about it nearly all places to sit on ships have places where you can buy a drink. So it begs the question where does one go then if you don't want to have a drink but you want to say read, sew, draw, paint or any other pastimes? As someone said its like being at a hotel.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

The only time 'seat hogging' is a bit annoying is when people stay in the buffet after they have finished eating and take up a table when others are looking for somewhere to have their meal. Oh and you can never get a seat in costa to actually have a coffee because of all the people sitting reading their books etc. other bars and lounges are a free for all, whoever gets there first gets the best seats. Never thought you had to buy a drink to sit there, but usually do.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

In reality it is surely nothing like being in a Hotel, well not for us anyway because we have never sat in a Hotel Lounge all day long as some seem to do on the ships.

The Java Cafe on Azura was the classic .... bad weather certainly but not a seat to be found anywhere, those of us who wanted a coffee n cake were unable to do so which means that P&O are losing thousands as a consequence.

They'll have to be moved on or be restricted by time sooner or later ;)

ps ... we all paid thousands for our cruise(s) of course.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

On one of our Oceana Cruises, Julie and I had sat down to have a drink in the Magnums bar ... I noticed an elderly couple come in, pointing to where we were sitting, giving us dirty looks and then going up to the waiter. Given the gestures and looks it became apparent that they were asking the waiter to move us from what they perceived to be their seats. When the staff did not do this they both got quite abusive with the staff and stormed off (saying they were going to lodge a complaint at reception).

I asked the waiter (an excellent waiter, I believe he was called Harsh/Harm) and he confirmed that they expected us to move ... apparently I obviously did not know who they were (and still don't).

Quite honestly if they had have asked, on the first night, I would have gladly moved along a seat .. but I don't respond to people that are obviously social retards ... I am more likely to wind them up ... and took pleasure in taking 'their' seats if we got down for pre-dinner drinks before them.

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

It's not just in bars that this happens. We recently did two cruise excursions where this happened on the coaches. On one, on reboarding the coach after a stop, a couple accused another couple of sitting in their seats - they were not front seats but she said she needed the seat as she was disabled so the couple moved. When the woman sat down ANOTHER couple got on & accused HER of sitting in their seats - how many people can sit in a seat at a time???
On the second excursion we went by coach to the Kennedy Space Centre. Part of the trip included being taken 'up close' to the launch pads etc & we had to get on the Centre's own coach to do this. Some people sat in the same 'rows' as they had on the coach from the ship, however a couple decided to sit further to the front this time. Another couple, on boarding, upbraided them for sitting in 'their seats' and they moved to let them sit down! If it had been me I would have replied 'It's a different coach & you don't own it so they are not your seats!' Unless coach seats have 'reserved signs' on them for disabled passengers anyone can sit anywhere!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

AngieT wrote:
... 'It's a different coach & you don't own it so they are not your seats!' ...
It is for this reason why Coach Tour Operators let you sit anywhere first thing on Day 1 but thereafter enforce seat rotation, this way everybody gets to sit everywhere and the front seat is a treat not a right.

:wave:

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

noddy10 wrote:
We sat where there were vacant seats emjay45 and if they were by the window yes we did sit in them and not "hog" them as we have every right to sit there. You obviously think that because you want a drink I should vacate that seat so you can sit down well I am sorry but it dont work like that I have paid thousands of pounds for my cruise and have every right to sit there like QB says it is only like sitting in an hotel lounge.
Yes you're quite right you have every right to sit there and I'm very well aware no-one's going to give up there seat. On the World Cruise we were always able to find some sort of seat, but last year on the Oriana we sometimes were unable to buy a drink because of people sitting all day sleeping or reading. The Crow's Nest like it or not is primarily a bar. If people want to sleep they should go back to their cabin and do so. Yes I know people need somewhere to go when it's cold but they always sit in the window seats and those like us who want to look out of the window and actually buy a drink are relegated to what's left.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
noddy10 wrote:
Yes you're quite right you have every right to sit there and I'm very well aware no-one's going to give up there seat. On the World Cruise we were always able to find some sort of seat, but last year on the Oriana we sometimes were unable to buy a drink because of people sitting all day sleeping or reading. The Crow's Nest like it or not is primarily a bar. If people want to sleep they should go back to their cabin and do so. Yes I know people need somewhere to go when it's cold but they always sit in the window seats and those like us who want to look out of the window and actually buy a drink are relegated to what's left.
I disagree strongly. The Crows Nest is a Lounge in which drinks are available, not a bar in which drinking is compulsory.

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Who says QB you or P&O.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

According to P&O it is both .... or at least it is on Aurora

" The Crow’s Nest lounge and bar "

Have to confess that we rarely use the Crow's Nest but I always assumed that the tables were for putting one's drinks on ... rather than one's pillows :lol:

Denarius
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Denarius »

In P&Os brochure the Crow's Nest is described as "The Crow's Nest lounge and bar". ie, it is a lounge which has a bar, but in which non drinkers are welcome to relax. This is in contrast to, say, Andersons which is described merely as "Anderson's bar"

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It also depends on what time of day you are using the Crows Nest as, in my experience, the bar does not open until somewhere around 10:00 on sea days, and somewhat later on port days, and the service of drinks until early evening is "low key" - unless there is some event taking place in there.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've never had a problem getting a seat in the Crow's Nest, other than at "drinking times". e.g just before dinner, when it is often quite busy with people drinking, rather than sleeping. During the day, when we have seen the sleepers/readers, there has always been plenty of room.

I do think, however, it is a different matter with the much smaller speciality coffee bars. I wouldn't consider going into my local Costa for a kip and don't see why anyone would expect to do it on a ship. If there are other people waiting for a seat to have a coffee that is just bad manners.

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Have never failed to get a seat at anytime of the day in any Crows Nest of any P&O ships.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

For sleeping or drinking? 8-)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
Who says QB you or P&O.
That depends on who is paying for the cruise.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”