Getting excited - a few questions

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Getting excited - a few questions

Post by bellybee »

I have my first cruise coming up soon on Aracadia J306 around the Fjords. We don't have any excursions booked and we will probably just do something ourself. Does anyone have any idea what the weather will be like around Norway and on the boat in June. I don't know whether to pack suncream or jumpers.

Also are the black tie evenings usually on sea days? Also black tie means a nice gown for ladies I have one I need another does it matter what colour it is? If we want to skip out on some of the smart evenings (jacket required) is it acceptable to go to the buffet in more casual clothes?

Does anyone know if there are any deals for the spa on sea days etc as we are hoping to treat ourself as it is our wedding anniversary but wasn't sure.

Do we need a special type of insurance or will regular travel insurance suffice (it never seems to be clear), what money do we need in Norway and will we be able to exchange money on the ship.

I have a millon questions all of a sudden sorry.

I am feeling really nervous now.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting excited - a few questions

Post by david63 »

bellybee wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what the weather will be like around Norway and on the boat in June. I don't know whether to pack suncream or jumpers.
The weather can be anything from "cracking the flags" to cold so go prepared for all eventualities.
bellybee wrote:
Also are the black tie evenings usually on sea days?

Black tie nights are usually on sea days but not always guaranteed to be so.
bellybee wrote:
Also black tie means a nice gown for ladies I have one I need another does it matter what colour it is? If we want to skip out on some of the smart evenings (jacket required) is it acceptable to go to the buffet in more casual clothes?

You will see a multitude of colours and styles of evening dresses on black tie nights.

Yes you can use the buffet on any night wearing smart casual attire - although there are some who would prefer that this was not the case.
bellybee wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any deals for the spa on sea days etc as we are hoping to treat ourself as it is our wedding anniversary but wasn't sure.
Deals for the spa are mostly found to be on port days when there are not as many customers on the ship.
bellybee wrote:
Do we need a special type of insurance or will regular travel insurance suffice (it never seems to be clear), what money do we need in Norway and will we be able to exchange money on the ship.
Normal holiday insurance should cover you for a cruise but read the "small print" as there may not be sufficient cancellation cover if you have a suite. One other thing to be aware of if repatriation costs if you had to be airlifted from the ship in an emergency.

Unless you have some great desire to spend a fortune then I would change currency on board. In fact these days you can just charge it to your on board account (it does not attract any extra charges).

The likes of Norway and most other Scandinavian countries are very expensive even for the simplest things like a coffee so you may find that you do not need much in the way of local currency.

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellybee »

Thank you for your help. The only currency we need is for the tram thing that goes up the mountain cant remember which port. Doh i meant on port days not sea days for the spa. What is classed as smart casual (this is what happens when scruffy people go on a cruise) we might not even be smart enough for the buffet

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

For the "official" P&O dress code definitions see this link

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bellybee wrote:
Thank you for your help. The only currency we need is for the tram thing that goes up the mountain cant remember which port. Doh i meant on port days not sea days for the spa. What is classed as smart casual (this is what happens when scruffy people go on a cruise) we might not even be smart enough for the buffet
Don't worry Bellybee, whatever you wear for smart casual you will always look more smart and less casual than me.

I assume you mean Flåm for the railway? Be early to get your seat!

http://www.flambooking.com/booking.aspx

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

For smart casual evenings anything is fine really as long as its not sports wear - trainers etc or ripped jeans, but dark denim is ok, men usually wear nice trousers or jeans with a shirt or polo shirt my husband wears a cashmere jumper if he's a bit chilly. Ladies can wear anything from summery dresses, nice trousers with a pretty top or dark jeans. Whatever you wear have a wonderful first cruise, the start of many I'm sure !

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellybee »

It's the trainers that will get me and hubby we live in them lol will need to force him into smart shoes. The thing I am thinking of is the funicular ride up Mount Fløien this apparantly costs 80NOK each so this is the amount we will need to change up. I really need to get organised I can't believe it is only a few weeks away. I hope it isnt the first of many this is supposed to be our last big splurge.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

bellybee wrote:

The train can get very busy so unless you get off the ship early you may not be able to get tickets. However I understand you can now book it in advance on line, which would also solve your currency problem.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

bellybee wrote:
It's the trainers that will get me and hubby we live in them lol will need to force him into smart shoes. The thing I am thinking of is the funicular ride up Mount Fløien this apparantly costs 80NOK each so this is the amount we will need to change up. I really need to get organised I can't believe it is only a few weeks away. I hope it isnt the first of many this is supposed to be our last big splurge.
Ah, Fløyen is in Bergen. It seems there are ticket machines that take cards.

http://www.floibanen.com/prices-and-tickets/

My daughter and her accompanying hordes did the P&O trip a couple of years ago. After much palaver they piled onto the coach for four a minute ride to the top of the harbour. It's quite walkable but you need to avoid any possible queues when the groups turn up. In our experience there were no queues later in the day. We haven't done the funicular ourselves but we did take the little road train which goes to the top of the railway.

Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Hi Bellybee, is it just a one week fjords cruise? If so, the formal (black tie) nights usually tend to be on the second night (Captain's "Welcome Aboard" dinner) and the last but one night (Black and White night.) On B&W night ladies mostly conform and wear black and white, or black dress with white accessories, but you get the odd one or two in bright colours who just love to be different!
Last year the two gents on our table hadn't brought jackets for the semi-formal nights so ate in the buffet on those nights. We usually eat in the buffet at least once a week, as hubby likes the different themes (Italian, Indian etc) and especially on a fjords cruise on Arcadia you will get a lovely view of the scenery from the Belvedere buffet as you glide down the fjords.
Whatever you do, don't worry about it! You will be fine, and have a wonderful time. Like the rest of us, you will soon be booking up for your next cruise! :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Sorry - ignore my post above. Still thought you were talking about Flamm. The Bergen funicular is very easy and since they upgraded it a while ago is now faster so even if queues look long they move quickly.

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellybee »

Will be even better if we can get the tickets with our bank card (visa) as won't have to worry about travel money at all. We are planning on making the most of the ship being quieter whilst in port so other than the funicular? we will probably just wander around the port area getting back on for lunch and making the most of the spa etc. Does anyone know if a dress code applies to breakfast and lunch? (I don't even know where to go for these things lol).

Oh I thought it was black tie not black and white themed so I have a silver dress and probably a coloured one for the other days hopefully I will be forgiven lol.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

A lovely silver dress should work in fine - any problems just use black shoes and handbag - or a black stole or shrug, or maybe a black silk flower in your hair - done deal!

We have had really hot weather in the fjords - and then rain in Bergen!!

So it's a case of go prepared for anything. Have a wonderful time on Arcadia, I know you will.

Em :D

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellybee »

Thanks again and we are going on a 7 nights cruise. I believe there will be two formal evenings, 2 semi formal and the rest smart casual.

For the formal I have 2 gowns (if you can call them that lol) and hubby has a tuxedo, semi formal he has a grey suit and I have 2 knee length dresses and for smart casual he has chinos and polo shirts or casual shirts and I have trousers and dressy tops or leggings and tops does this sound adequate?

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Bellybee, with regard to breakfast and lunch, there's not really a dress code as such but you are not supposed to go in to the buffet in swimsuits, bare feet etc . Common sense really, dripping water all over the floor is not sensible or safe.just put on a pair of flip flops and something over your swimsuit and that will be fine. The waiters do tend to tell people if they are inappropriately dressed.

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

The clothes you have for evening wear sound perfect. Above all don't worry about it you will see people in all sorts of outfits. Just have a wonderful time and it would be lovely if you could post a report when you get back.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Hello BB

Other than offering you a very warm welcome to our friendly boards, i think my fellow shipmates have answered your questions

Have a great cruise and look forward to hearing your cruise experience

Calm seas and blue skies all the way

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Hi, I am on this cruise too - going with a friend who has never cruised before and leaving my husband at home! According to the Cruise Personaliser the only themed evening is a 60s/70s night which is a casual one and which the majority of passengers don't dress for so don't worry about that. As has been said I would expect the second night would be the first formal evening (Black tie). The majority of men will be in a dinner suit with a small number wearing lounge suits. On smart evenings my husband usually wears a light coloured jacket - like a cream linen one - long sleeved shirt and smart trousers. Occasionally he will wear a tie but it's not required. On casual evenings he generally wears either a short or long sleeved shirt and a pair of chinos. I'm sure you'll have a great time and be very keen to go on another cruise when you return.

Carole

welshynurse
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by welshynurse »

Your evening outfits sound just fine and there is nothing wrong with wearing a silver dress on black and white night, its only a theme after all, and you will see a variety of colours. In the day just wear whatever you would normally wear during the day.
As for the weather, pack layers. When we went to the Fjords a year ago also in June it was sunny all week but didn't ever get very warm.
Bergen is lovely, once you have done the railway theres a really interesting market you can have a wander round.
The Fjords was my first cruise too, and have done another one since then, so I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Islander
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Islander »

Your clothes sound fine so don't worry about it. The Fjords was our first cruise some years ago and we got addicted! Just enjoy the experience, the wonderful scenery and ports and do what you want when you want. No pressure, just enjoy and relax. Have a wonderful time.

Topic author
bellybee
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellybee »

You have all given me an incredible welcome to the community. How exciting to see others on my cruise I will certainly post a report when I am back.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

BB

Sailed into Bergan x4 times and the skies opened - it was akin to having a warm power shower

By contrast the rest of the cruise was wall to wall warm sunshine - the sea condition A1

Methinks that the organised tours are good value - DIY could be a little pesky and expensive :o

Again . . . .

Calm seas and blue skies all the way

Kindly

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

I love seeing your excitement Bellybee - it reminds me of our first cruise which was also a 1 week cruise to the Fjords. I think all of the questions have been well answered, but I confirm that you need to be prepared for any weather - all in one day! One day we got sunburnt in the morning and hailed on in the afternoon (and the hail was enormous with pellets the size of frozen peas!) Layers is the key. Make sure you've got a warm fleece or jacket if you want to go on deck for the early morning cruises into the fjords. Your trainers will be ideal on shore for walking. We would always try to walk to a fairly high vantage point as you get spectacular views down onto the fjord (and of course the ship).

Your evening outfits sound spot on.

Hope you have as great a time as we did. :)
Angela

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”