Tobacco breath test during pregnancy

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Tobacco breath test during pregnancy

Post by Kendhni »

Expectant mothers will be asked to take breath tests to prove if they are smoking during their pregnancy, under new NHS guidance.

While stamping out smoking and tobacco abuse is a good idea I wonder if this is a step too far? Everybody knows the damage tobacco and alcohol does but yet many still partake ... we have done all the education programs but still people find the money to partake.

What is the midwife going to do if a mother does keep smoking? ... nag them to death ... threaten to take the child off them ... force them to have an abortion ... or is it a case that such mothers will then not bother turning up for other vital checkups putting their unborn children at even more risk. Seems like a good idea but I am just not convinced it will provide great benefits and could in fact make things worse.

paultheeagle
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Tobacco breath test during pregnancy

Post by paultheeagle »

:thumbup:

What complete and utter tosh......Either make it illegal or leave the smokers alone...enough is enough...I feel quite sorry for smokers now......

:wave:
Up The Palace

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Instead of spending money on testing pregnant women it might be better to use it to help them stop smoking.I'm sure every woman knows its bad for the unborn baby but they are addicted. I say provide help , maybe pay for a course of hypno therapy which has been proven to work. Also does it mean every pregnant woman will be tested,? Even the ones who don't smoke. What if the woman refuses to be tested ? Is that a black mark on her medical record for ever ? Too many problems.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

The test is being suggested as a way of highlighting the dangers of smoking during pregnancy; those women who smoke whilst knowing they are pregnant clearly need more encouragement to stop...don’t they?

This test isn’t being suggested as a compulsory test therefore those who choose to be oblivious about the harm they could be doing to their unborn child won’t have to take it.

Surly the job of a midwife is to ensure that every pregnant woman gets the best possible care plan during and after their pregnancy... if this test gives the midwife more information as to why their patient/unborn child might develop smoke related complications then I can see no harm in a “responsible” mother being offered this test.

Regards

OL

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Given how hard the midwives claim they currently work, it amazes me that they may even have the time to carry out such additional tests?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

But surely a "responsible" mother when asked the question "Do you smoke?" would answer yes. If she wouldn't then, in all probability, she would decline the test anyway.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Pregnant mums are asked if they smoke/units of alcohol then given leaflets at the first appointment with midwife.
Every time you visit antenatal clinic there are very visible posters on the walls and leaflets all over aboout the dangers of smoking/alcohol during pregnancy.

My worry is that midwives are stretched already with the amount of mothers they look after.
Im our day, we had a daily visit from midwives after the birth until baby was 10 days old.
Now its a visit on the the day after you get home, then 3 -4 days later, and again..then discharged on day 10.
Any worries, phone this number or go back to maternity unit!!!
LACK OF FUNDING !!!!

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

suespud wrote:
LACK OF FUNDING !!!!
... or maybe just too many calls on what is limited funds.
I think the concept of the public sector having availability to a bottomless pit of money is disappearing and either the public must be willing to pay more or they have to accept that some services will not be available. That then boils down to we accept we must fund things that we have no interest in (which is generally good for core services) and then we have to pay extra for other things specific to us.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Morning David,

Many years ago I applied for a mortgage; a condition of the offer was subject to me having to take a medical. At the time I was aware of the health risks associated with smoking yet still continued to smoke 25 cigarettes a day.

One would have thought having a father who died aged 47 and his brother a year later (both heavy smokers) would have been enough to stop me smoking, alas it didn’t and I continued to smoke for several more years.

That was until I had the good fortune to be sent to a doctor who drummed it into me why I needed to stop smoking...his parting words were...”If you don’t stop smoking Mr...... You won’t live to see 50” I left his surgery lit up a fag and have never touched one since...I’ll be celebrating my 60th this year.

The moral of this story is that you can accept that smoking through pregnancy happens or you can strive to change the mind set of those who need that little extra encouragement...if the test “suggested” highlights the issues of smoking whilst pregnant then the mere fact that it draws attention to it will hopefully make some think twice before they give their unborn child another fag.

Regards

Keith

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I don't disagree with you OL but my point is that if it is to be a voluntary test then those who smoke and decline the test will, in all probability, not respond to being "preached" at about smoking in any event.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Worse still, they ,may not like the preaching and decide not to go for checkups etc.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote:
I don't disagree with you OL but my point is that if it is to be a voluntary test then those who smoke and decline the test will, in all probability, not respond to being "preached" at about smoking in any event.

You are more than likely right David and I’m not so sure this idea is the right way forward but for some it may be the trigger that brings them to their senses. I personally think a better method would be to place a healthy placenta next to one where the mother has smoked through her pregnancy than ask them which child do they think had a healthier start in life.

Regards

Keith

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Kendhni wrote:
Worse still, they ,may not like the preaching and decide not to go for checkups etc.
Ken - If they are that bloody selfish and carry on smoking throughout their pregnancy then they should be required to take out medical insurance in the unfortunate event that their child is born mentally or physically impaired due to their nicotine requirments...and all because they couldn’t do without a fag for nine months of their “precious” baby’s life.

Regards

keith

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

Unfortunately - most women do not know they are pregnant until 6 - 8 weeks which is the most critical development time for the foetus, therefore, most of the damage would probably have already been done.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”